HybridZ

Exhausts : diameter,material,single vs. dual,which mufflers,sound quality?

Well finally after a lot of slacking on my swap the car has finally fired and actually got to drive it around for 10 minutes yesterday to check for leaks, make sure everything is working fine ect. YESSSSSSSS!!!! Can't wait to get the lil things buttoned up for reliable driving.

Anyways, I tried looking around for exhaust stuff here but didnt find too much info. Figured maybe we can get a thread with everything we need to know.

Couple questions came to mind before going and getting the exhaust done.

1. How far after the headers did you mount the 02 sensors?

2. Did you even use the rear 02's? do you need them? Can i just unplug or do i need the simulators instead?

3. what size diameter are you using?

4. What material? Don't know if I wanna go all the way with stainless yet

5. Running an X pipe or Y? If so what sizing and configuration?

6. Duals or single outlet?

7. Mufflers - what fits in the stock location? what are you running? happy with the tone/noise levels?

If you have any pics that would be sweeeeettt and a vid of the sounds would be even better.

Personally I was thinking 2.5" into a Y then id like 3.5" from there back but might be restricted to 3" for clearance. Would like a straight through muffler in the stock location to keep things sorta stealthy but I have a feeling it might be a little loud to sound stock of course.

Thanks Guys

I used 3" stainless to a Y behind the tranny, into a magnaflow resonator, then 3" single into a Magnaflow muffler in the stock location. Definately not quiet under throttle but very quiet at idle. O2 sensors just after the collector and no rear O2's.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1978-280Z-with-05-GTO-LS2_92197.htm

Old walkaround video with exhaust sounds.

mike

I had 3" dual with an X pipe. 9" straight through oval Magnaflow mufflers, as well as 2 resonators. o2 sensors just after the collectors also. The car is loud. :) No rear o2 sensors, I trimmed the wires all the way up to the PCM plug.

DSCN1619.JPG

DSCN1616.JPG

DSCN1614.JPG

Video of car with just resonators installed (no mufflers):

I don't have any video's of the car with mufflers on, but its still pretty loud.

Personally I was thinking 2.5" into a Y then id like 3.5" from there back but might be restricted to 3" for clearance. Would like a straight through muffler in the stock location to keep things sorta stealthy but I have a feeling it might be a little loud to sound stock of course.

Thanks Guys

I use to run my exhaust exactly like this, I would always drag the 3.5" straight section on the ground. But seemed to work pretty good. I had a Round magnaflow 3.5" muffler back there.

DSCN0342.JPG

IMG_1439small.jpg

The exhaust like this was also pretty loud, Here's a video of it on the dyno running this exhaust.

i am 2.5" off the collectors to single 3" all mandrel bent, no res, one muffler.

It's noticably V8 at idle, and at WOT its V8 heaven. Loud but I can talk on the phone when idling so its all perception I guess. Its shake the rear view mirror loud at WOT and anything above 1/3 throttle. I wouldnt have it any other way :)

I run a 3" Pipe from the Downpipe to the rear end (no cat or resonator) and to finish it off I also have that Same looking Magnaflow 3" inlet 3" outlet and its a great tone. But I run a turbo so its prolly quieter that a N/A motor. But everyone loves the tone... I have always run Magnaflow though so I just like the sound better than a Whiney or obnoxiously loud Fart can LOL.

16850_thumb.attach