HybridZ

What does SCARAB mean?

Guest Anonymous

The Scarab Zee's had a metallic symbol like a beetle that was placed on the hood and sides. There was a set of these insignias on eBay recently. Scarab was a beetle symbol in ancient Egypt

Guest Anonymous

It was the company that did the original aftermarket Chevy engine swaps on the Z that appear to have been turn key swaps I gather. Anyway, they had alot of custom parts like bellhousings to mate to a T10. The 'Scarab' position in terms of Z cars is meaning a V8 mounted forward about 3.5"'s more than the JTR swaps. Thats the extent of my knowledge of them (I know could put it on the head of a pin.. :D )

Regards,

Lone

That's pretty much it. A company named Scarab made the first V8 Z-cars. I'm not sure exactly how they were sold, off a dealer's lot as new, or as a one-off thing. I believe additional information can be found on zhome.com. They were very rudimentary but were as advanced as they could be for the time, given the particular hardware that was available. The engine was mounted by simple 2x2 spacers on the motor mounts and used the original Datsun clutch setup on a custom bellhousing, as mentioned. The exhaust used four glasspacks, i belive off the top of my memory from what i've read in the JTR book. nowadays, a real Scarab is rare machinery indeed.

Yes folks I am familiar that the SCARAB was the original V-8 thing before the JTR and MSA and the others arrived. I just thought that it stood for something. I know its the name of the company but nothing I have read ((I have the JTR book too)) has said anything about what "SCARAB" means.

T-Zee are you just pulling my leg or are you being serious about the whole beetle thing? Anyway, I thought it might mean something, you know like "JTR" stands for "Jags that Run"

From the dictionary

scar·ab Pronunciation Key (skrb)

n.

A scarabaeid beetle, especially Scarabaeus sacer, regarded as sacred by the ancient Egyptians.

A representation of this beetle, such as a ceramic or stone sculpture or a cut gem, used in ancient Egypt as a talisman and a symbol of the soul. Also called scarabaeus.

Now how this came to be used on a car that is the question.. If I remember correctly there were scarabs built in the fifties as a one off race car so where and why was the name ever applied to a car......there is the 25k question....

BTW I tried to find out once before and gave up....

Guest Anonymous

Now , I will pull your Leg!! New Yorker Bill "bugsy" Bowtiea of the Bowtie Crime Family managed to shoehorn a 283 from the family Biscayne wagon into this little Jap car that everyone was waiting in line for at the Datusn Dealership. He just accidently got one from his brother-in-law that defaulted on the loan that Bugsy co-signed for. When he got it altogether, all the kinfolk told him Califrornia is where he ought to be. Before signing the divorce papers , Bugsy rummaged through his wife's jewelry box and found these silver plated beetles that he super glued on his v8 powered Datsun. On his way to California he picked up a hithhiker that was in reality billionaire Howard Hughes. Hughes saw the beetle emblems and being a well read man inquired if the Vehicle was called a Scarrab. "Why, yes!" Bugsy replied. Howard immediately wrote out a check for 0ne milliom dollars and Bugsy signed over the registration because he did not have a title. Hughes dumped Bugsy in Pittsburgh and Bugsy hitchhiked from Datsun dealer to Datsun Dealer placing orders for 240 Zees on his way to California.Bugsey for a few years sold a lot of v8 Datsuns until Nissan quietly bought him out and put him out of business. Some say that he financed a chilli seasoning venture with a down and out Carroll Shelby after Ford gave him the boot after beating Ferrari at Le Mans. Somehow Clint Eastwood and Clyde the Orangatang got involved in the Scarrab/Shelby Legend but I forgot the details...... Yes, I know I shoud be working on those aluminum spacers..... Tim , I zoomed in on that original Scarrab emblem and I detect elements of rice residue and a slight little of oder of home brew Saki

Guest Anonymous

Ahem....Ok... :D The guys are right, its basically a Dung beetle and it was in fact a pretty sacred symbol in egyptian mysticism/culture.

Regards,

Lone

scarab is very simple, but jtr does make more sense if youre gonna do it in the first place, i hate to admit. my car came scarab, and its done me quite nicely, handles good for me(im a straight line guy anyway) and runs very cold. im still contemplating my turbo 6 project, i know ill miss that instant v8 gratification, but im infatuated with BOOST.

Took me a while, but the original "Scarab" was built by Lance Reventlow in the late 50s/1960.

Here's a bit of history:

http://8w.forix.com/scarab.html

http://www.allamericanracers.com/rem/rem-story.html

Here's a picture of a model:

http://www.ghostmodels.com/images/d067p06.jpg

Olds V8 Engine and then used a SB Chevy!

Guest Anonymous

Young Lance Reventlow (wealthy son of actress Betty Hutton) made a splash in the racing world and apparently passed along a few ideas to Carrol Shelby since Shelby took over the Reventlow shop in building the Cobras and inherited Reventlow's mechanic and fabricator. Some interesting stories Pete!!!!