HybridZ

l28et...installing t28 turbo

chris51608

hey guys im going to buy a l28et motor this weekend that needs a turbo...so i found a t28 turbo out of a rb20det in good condition in my area for cheap..do u guys think it will work find or i should keep lookin i wanna run 15 pounds of boost on the engine....will the t28 turbo hold boost good..thanks

look around for a 280zxt turbo with wastegate and down pipe. should be able to find one for less than 150.00. This is by far the easiest way to get a turbo and wastegate for your engine

a first gen 300zxt has a turbo that will work, but the wastegate will not be so easy to use.

you can run 14 psi of boost with a stock t3. just need a good intercooler and keep it under 5,000 rpm.

if you want to make it hard and put some other turbo on your engine then get a turbo that was also on a 2.5 to 3.0 liter engine. That is, don't put a turbo from a 2 liter on a 2.8. In 99% of the cases, the exhaust turbine will be too small

I am pretty sure the rb20 turbo is WAY too small for the L28. I used a rb25 turbo and it was too small.

Yes, that's a small turbo for an L28. Perhaps. Have you ever experienced full boost at 2ooorpm on an L Series before? In a Zee? Quick little bastard is all I can say.......

RB20 turbo engines run twin cam heads that flow as much or more than the P90 Turbo heads in stock form. And they rev higher too.....one can possibly draw the conclusion that a T28 off an RB20DET will be fine for an L28.:)

It just depends on what you want and where you want your power at the end of the day!

Cheers.

WRONG!!!!

The RB25det turbo fell on its face after 4500rpm. It sucked!

The reason the Z31 Kouki kame with a t28 not a t3 was because it ran less boost and a higher compresion ratio. This was because of complaints about the turbo lag from owners.

ANY RB TURBO ON AN KL28 WILL BE A PIG!!!!! Fact is it isn't sized properly for out motors.

WRONG!!!!

The RB25det turbo fell on its face after 4500rpm. It sucked!

The reason the Z31 Kouki kame with a t28 not a t3 was because it ran less boost and a higher compresion ratio. This was because of complaints about the turbo lag from owners.

ANY RB TURBO ON AN KL28 WILL BE A PIG!!!!! Fact is it isn't sized properly for out motors.

For a guy who runs 11's on the quarter, almost anything would feel slow and mismatched compared to that. But from a budget perspective, what has this guy got to loose? I still stand by what I said earlier, that being the creation of a lower rpm torque monster. I had built something like this years ago, changed the diff ratio a bit (to 4.3) and smoked everything off the lights. It was all over by third gear...the other guys just scratching their heads as they burn past after you've backed off and cruising the speed limit, them reving the guts outa whatever they had....what a feeling!!!!! I'm not saying that a top end monster isn't cool, but for the money, c'mon!

I say, go for it mate.

Cheers.

So...

Guy asks about a specific turbo on a specific motor

Guy with experience with that setup give his opinion on the setup.

Person with out said experience chimes in a spews some crap about a budget and super quick spool.

Dont worry about the fact that a holset can be had for under $300 and is good for over 400whp.......

Have a good day

So...

Guy asks about a specific turbo on a specific motor

Guy with experience with that setup give his opinion on the setup.

Person with out said experience chimes in a spews some crap about a budget and super quick spool.

Dont worry about the fact that a holset can be had for under $300 and is good for over 400whp.......

Have a good day

I'm assuming this refers to my comments.

I'm thinking that you're not someone who can discuss a topic constructively without slander or personal attack. "Spewing some crap" is not what I had in mind. I think it's called 'advice'. Remember friend, it's up to Chris to decide which way to go and not everyone on this forum has a huge budget at their disposal......therefore the 'advice' was given with these issues in mind. If you have some thoughts on the topic, then I'll respect you for your opinions, and I would appreciate the same sort of respect in return please. At the end of the day, if we keep on track, then we can all express our opinions without fear of ridicule.

I hope YOU have a good day.

If you are on a budget, then a T28 turbo is not for you. yeah you can pick up the turbo on the cheap.. 1. it will not give you the grins that you would get even with a stock T3 turbo. 2. It is T2 flanged and will NOT bolt up to the stock T3 flanged L28 exhaust manifold. So you would have to either find a adapter or have a T2 flange welded on the L28ET exhaust manifold. I ran a T3 for a few years and really liked the quick spool and its a fun turbo for autocross, But it fell on its face really quickly after 45-4700 RPMs. It is a great budget turbo though and will bring smiles to your face for sure!!

chris51608:: for Fuel management on the cheap you can run Megasquirt and Spark. It is cheap and works fantastic! Or you could find a used SDS sytem or haltec system.