HybridZ

A way to lock the hood?/anti theft.

5.Z

Well I'm installing an alarm, since I have the interior rip apart I can hide them so it not seen.

Problem is with an alarm once your in the car pop the hood open and cut the power to an alarm and it's useless. So I want a way to lock the hood.

First idea is adding a separate battery just for the alarm. But I want this to be a secondary.

2nd idea is adding one of those quick release hood lock thing but instead of using the pins use a small lock. But I don't want a lock on my hood LOL

Any others? I was thinkng of relocating the hood release elsewhere aswheel but that's just a matter of finding it.

I just want it to have extra security "just in case"

FYI I already have a fuel pump cutoff switch installed.

Well I'm installing an alarm, since I have the interior rip apart I can hide them so it not seen.

Problem is with an alarm once your in the car pop the hood open and cut the power to an alarm and it's useless. So I want a way to lock the hood.

First idea is adding a separate battery just for the alarm. But I want this to be a secondary.

2nd idea is adding one of those quick release hood lock thing but instead of using the pins use a small lock. But I don't want a lock on my hood LOL

Any others? I was thinkng of relocating the hood release elsewhere aswheel but that's just a matter of finding it.

I just want it to have extra security "just in case"

FYI I already have a fuel pump cutoff switch installed.

If you don't want a lock on your hood, I'd suggest using a separate battery for your alarm. Find a battery that will fit in the stowage units behind the seats under the carpet. That would be a good spot.

I helped my brother make a kill switch for his car that automatically locks the doors and all latches at the same time as the switch is flipped using a magnetic case on the hoodlatch so that it cant be lifted up. Im pretty sure they were some strong magnets off ebay that died a week later but it worked for a couple months

If they want it bad enough, they are going to take it. If you have hood vents and I knew you had an alarm, all i would have to do is break them, reach my arm under them and find the hood sensor, then disable it and disconnect the battery.

If you had a secondary battery All i would have to do is to get into the car, fallow the wires and destroy the alarm box, another thing i could do is disconnect the horns and headlights, which would make it almost impossible for someone too notice.

If i wanted it REALLY bad, I would make a Ez-steel wiring harness, so once i gain hood access I can install the harness quickly and drive off, then deal with the alarm when i get to a shop or garage, (where i would discover the secondary battery)

you best bet is system that pages your cell phone whenever it detects something, or lojack.

You might like to reconsider the hood pin idea. Take a look at these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-4062/

The locks are built in, and come with the round security keys. The installation is very clean.

As to whether you can lock the hood electrically, yes, you can. I did it on my Corvette. There is a spring momentary key switch on the dash which pops the hood. If someone disconnects the battery, they can't open the hood. Here's the main part:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/REPLACEMENT_ELECTRIC_DOOR_and_TRUNK_RELEASE_KIT?ID=12;0;0;0;100001;ProductName;0;0;0;0;2003047;0

Good luck.

I understand that if they want it bad enought they will get it but I want to give them as much trouble before they take off with it. Or atleast enough time for someone to notice. And I have no hood vent so the only way would be to try and break the stock hood.

The hood pins looks interesting I never seen those. I think I'll go that route.

With the electric one what happens if your battery dies completely. Like maybe a short or accidentally left your light on how would you open the hood?

I understand that if they want it bad enought they will get it but I want to give them as much trouble before they take off with it. Or atleast enough time for someone to notice. And I have no hood vent so the only way would be to try and break the stock hood.

The hood pins looks interesting I never seen those. I think I'll go that route.

With the electric one what happens if your battery dies completely. Like maybe a short or accidentally left your light on how would you open the hood?

crowbar.jpeg

or you could get a remote battery connector, so all you would have to do, is stick your hand in the engine bay, pull out the connector, plug in the custom jumper cable, then connect it to the other vehicle, I'll draw a diagram If you want.

Guest Rolling Parts

Problem is with an alarm once your in the car pop the hood open and cut the power to an alarm and it's useless. .

No, the problem with car alarms is that you hear them every day.

My first reaction is not "OMG someone is stealing a car" but "I wish the owner would shut that $#@*&% thing off!"

The only good place for a 125dB car alarm is INSIDE the car. That way it will be less disturbing to everyone else and make it really unpleasant for someone trying to think about starting the car. Just install a big "ENGINE START" button on the console and wire that button directly to the alarm that fires up those inside mounted horns. That (and the hidden kill switch) will be enough to keep a dufus car thief from driving away.

The only good place for a 125dB car alarm is INSIDE the car. That way it will be less disturbing to everyone else and make it really unpleasant for someone trying to think about starting the car. Just install a big "ENGINE START" button on the console and wire that button directly to the alarm that fires up those inside mounted horns. That (and the hidden kill switch) will be enough to keep a dufus car thief from driving away.

Excellent ideas.

When you talked about relocating the hood release I got another idea. Instead of moving it get a second one. Leave the first one where it is as a decoy so the thief keeps yanking thinking that it's broken, or he broke it.

Guest Rolling Parts
E..Leave the first one where it is as a decoy so the thief keeps yanking thinking that it's broken, or he broke it.

Nah,

you want the thief to think he broke the whole car, not just the release.

The hood release is wired only to a switch on the under hood smoke generator...

http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Graupner_Smoke_Generators.html

Nothing says "get away" as strongly as a little puff of smoke seeping up from the hood vents...

Wire a kill switch into the clutch/neutral safety switch circuit. In my last car I used a disconnected cigarette lighter as the kill switch. Pull out the lighter and the car won't start. If they tow it or trailer it away, a locking hood gets you nothing anyway, but at least it can't be driven away.

Well seeing that my clutch switch iether not working or I don't have one it won't work for me. Anyways thanks a lot you guys for bringing up good info. Specially the alarm inside sound preaty good. I just hope it doesn't go on when I'm driving LOL.

If they want it bad enough, they are going to take it.

This is, unfortunately, absolutely true. You really can't stop theft with absolute certainty. But you can:

1. Make it increasingly inconvenient. One reason thieves take things is because they are lazy. Make it hard, and many of them will go down the street.

2. Make it likely they will be caught. Thieves are in it for the easy score, not the consequences.

3. Understand the enemy. There are at least a half-dozen types of thieves. A pro will get your car. The kid down the block who wants your stereo and maybe a joy ride need not.

The best security is layered, robust and both obvious and hidden. If you like games of strategy, vehicle security is some fun.

You wouldn't.

Seriously, I have two fail-safes built in. They are both so obscure, so inconvenient, and so time consuming to use that a thief would never bother, unless he were a pro who had towed the car to a chop shop.

If they want it bad enough, they are going to take it. If you have hood vents and I knew you had an alarm, all i would have to do is break them, reach my arm under them and find the hood sensor, then disable it and disconnect the battery.

If you had a secondary battery All i would have to do is to get into the car, fallow the wires and destroy the alarm box, another thing i could do is disconnect the horns and headlights, which would make it almost impossible for someone too notice.

If i wanted it REALLY bad, I would make a Ez-steel wiring harness, so once i gain hood access I can install the harness quickly and drive off, then deal with the alarm when i get to a shop or garage, (where i would discover the secondary battery)

you best bet is system that pages your cell phone whenever it detects something, or lojack.

Stolen a few cars in your days I see! :)

No, the problem with car alarms is that you hear them every day.

My first reaction is not "OMG someone is stealing a car" but "I wish the owner would shut that $#@*&% thing off!"

Ohhhh, I LIKE that. That big old button could also trigger your door locks. Keep that bozo in the car for about 10 seconds and beat the hell out of his ears.

g

You could use a keypad mounted under the dash where you would have to type in your code to allow the engine to start. 3 wrong guesses and all the doors lock and a cheap phone hidden comes on over the radio similar to onstar, and either program it to call your cell phone or 911.

You could use a keypad mounted under the dash where you would have to type in your code to allow the engine to start. 3 wrong guesses and all the doors lock and a cheap phone hidden comes on over the radio similar to onstar, and either program it to call your cell phone or 911.

why dont we get retina scanners then?