HybridZ

How does everyone get air cleaners under the hood?

lol, flate base with a 4 inch filter, I just cut a 12.5 inch hole where the air cleaner sticks out and fabbed a shield that sits in front of the filter. The filter itself sticks at most 1.5 inches, but with the domed top it totals just over 2.5 inches, most people now are just making snorkels that go to the front of the radiator and running a cone filter.

Well I would probably just go as far down as possible because I would like to have some space above the filter for the air to flow. As it is it would probably work but it would be touching the hood, I want it to clear better. I was just wondering if there were any nifty ideas people might have that solve this problem/if other people had this problem because all I ever seem to see is the standard round air cleaners.

Hi, I went through the same situation a couple weeks ago. I have a 1973 240z with a chevy 355 cu. in engine using 2000 vortec heads and JTR conversion plates. I went to Auto-Zone and bought the Edelbrock 14" Pro-Flo air filter part # 1221. This filter fits perfectly without any clearance issues. It has a drop base and the paper hope this helps filter is 3" tall,

Edited by 73240ZT
spelling

The lowest profile air cleaner base I have seen is the Chevrolet factory base. Get them from the aftermarker for about $50, $80 for bottom and top with a paper element. Eventually the triangle type foam filter winds up melting down the carb from a backfire...