HybridZ

gauges won't fit dash cap

I finally got around to do a full face dash cap that I bought from MSA for my 70z and everything went fine until I got around to install the three stock small gauges(temp,oil,water,amp and clock)and found out that it's almost impossible to fit the three gauges through the dash cover openings.Wanted to see how other dash cover user have gone about installing this.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

All the dash caps I've seen butt up against the front of the gauges, as in the dash cap only protrudes into the hole half way, and the gauge takes up the remaining half. If you install the gauges from the rear (from the inside of the dash), it shouldn't be problem.

I'm running a full MSA dash cap with no problems.

O.k I think I know what I might have done.I removed too much of the foam like material around the front bezel housing of the original dash and now i'm faced with direct contact with the front gauge bezel and the dash cap.Would anyone happen to have a picture of there dash cap with stock gauges(the smaller three),it would be interesting to see.I think that's where I might have screwed up.Thanks

So I did messed up,now what should I do?Trim to get the 1/2 inch bezel through the dash cap?Now I'm also faced with the gauge vibrating if the front of the gauge is not sitting against something.This all happened when I was trimming off the foam here and there to get a perfect fit and I guess,took off too much.I wish the instruction mentioned something about it,hope this will help the next dash cap z out,will try to post pic when done.Thanks again

• 2 months later...

Yes, all gauges are mounted from the rear.

BangkokZ-

You can try using thick double-sided tape to build up your original dash where it was trimmed down....might be enough to fill the gaps between original dash and dash cap.

Don't know if you still need photos, but here's a few of mine (Half dash cap with original gauges). You can see there's a small gap (approx 1/4") between the dash cap and the leading edge of the gauge bezels).

Good luck and happy motoring!

jhm

IMG_2913_thumb.jpg

IMG_2915_thumb.jpg

IMG_2916_thumb.jpg

IMG_2917_thumb.jpg