HybridZ

Turbo Round 2

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Well not a huge update, but its something. I installed a transbrake into the car and took it out to the track again. Managed to get a best of 6.7 @ 101 with a 1.49 60ft. I don't know whats up with the MPH, but I like the E/T!!! :-) I'm probably going to throw the car on the dyno in the near future to do a little tuning. I'm also having problems with the car leaning out at the track. Need to give that a little attention also.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you planning on ever running the exhaust out toward the back or leaving it 'as is'?

Probably going to leave the exhaust as is. With the Auto in the car, I can't really tuck the exhaust up into the tunnel like I could with the T56. And it would probably hang extremely low. The way I've got it now seems to be the easiest solution.

Edited by ColtGT4g63

That can't be quiet in the city or highway. Plus I'd worry about too much exhaust entering the car. If I ever go turbo, I would want to run the exhaust all the way out the back to my existing dual exhaust via a single 3" to dual 2.5" Y-Pipe.

Do you have pics of your old down pipe where ot routed from the turbo flange back to the trans area?

Lastly, how much stall you running in the TH350?

Its VERY loud, and very stinky. But the car really only gets used at the race track, unless I'm driving it around tuning it. The stall is a 3500rpm, but I have been able to get it up to 4k on the trans brake. When I had the exhaust going through the turbo and my two 3" mufflers in the rear. It was extremely quiet. SO much in fact that you could hear the valve train noise over the exhaust.

DSCN1698.JPG

DSCN1732.JPG

DSCN1731.JPG

DSCN1730.JPG

Edited by ColtGT4g63

It was very tight, But ya... I melted the little plastic vent / whatever it is that sits on top of the steering rack from the exhaust being so close.

My intercooler core dimensions are about 20" x 12" x 3". IAT's weren't tremendously high while I was racing, but they weren't ambient either.

If I ever go turbo, I'd want the intercooler for street driving and meth injection for WOT track racing.

I've got a methanol kit on the car with a toggle switch to turn it on and off. And So far I haven't even used it once! :-( Need to get on that.

I've run meth before, a progressive setup (fancy Hobbs switch) from Snow Performance is the only way to fly. More or less the volume of meth being sprayed increases as the amount of boost increases, regardless of the pedal position.

I have a new AEM kit that lets you set the boost pressure where you want it to come on, then the you set the max boost pressure where you want it to be spraying 100%. And it ramps it up accordingly in between. It has never seem to work right on my car though. But I've been having a few other issues which might be the problem. Hopefully I'll have the car all back together in the new few weeks and back out at the track if all goes well. Time will tell I guess.

• 1 month later...

Okay I wanted to give you all a little update on the car. No more 5.3! I ended up having oil pressure problems due to bearing / journal failure. Swapped out the 5.3 for a 4.8 I found on Craigslist for 300 bucks. Slapped on my 317 heads and LS6 cam. thew it all back in the car and started boosting the hell out of it right away. I'm far from done with upping the power, but took it out to the track to test things out a little bit before going for the gold. In the near future I'll be running the car on E85 and doing a little bit of dyno tuning. All of these runs are done on pump gas, and no more then 15* of timing. And an 11:1 AFR. Enjoy!