HybridZ

Turbo Round 2

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7.3@ 98, Sucks not being able to put all the power to the ground! ALSO... I dropped a cylinder, and it cranks over like I'm doing a compression test now. And was racing on 7 cylinders the entire time. Tomorrow I start pulling the motor, and start looking for an iron block Gen3. Over all I had fun! :)

7.3@ 98, Sucks not being able to put all the power to the ground! ALSO... I dropped a cylinder, and it cranks over like I'm doing a compression test now. And was racing on 7 cylinders the entire time. Tomorrow I start pulling the motor, and start looking for an iron block Gen3. Over all I had fun! :)

Any signs of spark knock during the runs? Maybe just a popped head gasket?

Complete long block LQ4's aren't hard to find. A couple of buddies have bought a few decent long blocks from LKQ.com cheaper than most Craigslist ads.

Find a good long block, swap to a turbo friendly cam ('02-'04 LS6 cams work great w/boost), and hold on for dear life.

I'm running M/T ET drags. 26 x 8.5 x 15. 60's were 1.6Xsec. I have cut numerous 1.5's down there, and even a 1.4! At a different track I have lifted the front tire off the ground a little bit too.

What was your 60ft with the latest turbo setup? Still running the same slicks?

What mufflers are you running btw?

I have cut a 1.4 the last time I was at the track, with the turbo. This most recent time to the track my best was a 1.6. The track was VERY slippery this time around though and no body got good times. I've been running the same slicks since I have got the car running in the beginning. In the videos the exhaust is going through 2, 9" resonators and dumping right before the axles. When I have the full exhaust on, I have two magnaflows in the back as well. 5x8" ovals. Roughly 1 foot long, straight through 3"

Oh that blows!!

That's a pretty decent sign of detonation dude.

Hardly, The piston tops look perfect. As well as the combustion chambers in the head, and cylinder walls. ♥♥♥♥ broke from either it being a weak cast pistons, and/or too much power through that baby!

Hardly, The piston tops look perfect. As well as the combustion chambers in the head, and cylinder walls. ♥♥♥♥ broke from either it being a weak cast pistons, and/or too much power through that baby!

I respectfully disagree.

I've shattered more than a few cast piston ring lands because of detonation 'shocking' the pistons to much and causing the ring lands to become one big ring land.

No damage to the crown or piston tops just means you weren't running lean (not a good thing with aluminum heads either).

In my personal experience, normally when a piston comes apart because of too much power the wrist pins usually eject out of the bottom of the piston.

I am not saying you aren't making power or your Z isn't fast, but I've seen more than a few of these stock bottom end LS motor get hammered with upwards of 20 psi and/or 250-300 shots of nitrous and keep on smiling (for a reasonable amount of time anyway).

Regardless, sorry for your misfortune and good luck getting another LS motor and getting your Z back on the road/track.

There is no knock control with the MS unfortunately, but I do have data logs. I was running 10 psi of boost, and roughly 8 - 9* of timing at that boost level. With a splash of 100 octane for insurance. I'm debating on weather or not I want to build the LS1, or go find a 5.3 stocker to throw in... Decisions decisions.

There is no knock control with the MS unfortunately, but I do have data logs. I was running 10 psi of boost, and roughly 8 - 9* of timing at that boost level. With a splash of 100 octane for insurance. I'm debating on weather or not I want to build the LS1, or go find a 5.3 stocker to throw in... Decisions decisions.

Does the Megasquirt even log knock at all?