HybridZ

Turbo Round 2

How do the other pistons/ringlands look?

Was it isolated to that one piston?

Your timing was uber conservative, so I would suspect fuel... maybe that particular injector, or wiring connector. If is was isolated to that one slug, then perhaps a flawed cast piston... Might be worth a set of forged pistons (then you can set your compression ratio where you like...I prefer 8:1 giving me some cushion to run higher boost on straight pump gas)

Regards, Mike

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no knock control with the MS unfortunately, but I do have data logs. I was running 10 psi of boost, and roughly 8 - 9* of timing at that boost level. With a splash of 100 octane for insurance. I'm debating on weather or not I want to build the LS1, or go find a 5.3 stocker to throw in... Decisions decisions.

What's the compression ratio? Find a 5.3 to throw so you can play more and get the tuning down while building your other LS1. I know a complete 5.3 can be had around here for 500 or less. Then you'll have the tuning down so when your ready to drop in your built motor you can really make some power and won't have to worry about hurting a motor you have some money in.

What's the compression ratio? Find a 5.3 to throw so you can play more and get the tuning down while building your other LS1. I know a complete 5.3 can be had around here for 500 or less. Then you'll have the tuning down so when your ready to drop in your built motor you can really make some power and won't have to worry about hurting a motor you have some money in.

Stock LS1's have 10.0:1 CR.

I agree about going with a 5.3 for the time being.

5.3's have 9.4:1 compression so they are a little more 'boost friendly' vs a stock LS1. If you wanted to lower the compression even more you could put your stock LS1 heads on the 5.3 and drop the compression even more.

Another reason I like 5.3 for boosted apps is because they have the thickest cylinder walls of any production Gen III/IV, minus the LSx block. Plus if you desired, 5.3's can be punched to LS1 bore size so aftermarket pistons are much easier to come by.

Either way you go, you have plenty of options.

Thanks for the input and option suggestions. I have located a 5.3 long block that I will be picking up this weekend. I will be throwing my Ported heads off my LS1 onto it and throw it back in the car. I am pretty capable of tuning the car already, but of course the more time spent tuning the the better off you are with it. My AFR at WOT 5-6psi of boost was 11.0-11.2:1, as boost went up to 10psi the AFR goes down to 10.2-10.4:1 and holds steady to red line.

Too bad the spare 5.3 motor that I had intended on using as a back up for the Datsun, went into my truck! haha

Are your steam tubes blocked?( aluminum tubes that run from one head to the other)

I seriously doubt that had anything to do with it.

Although this often a hotly debated issue, especially on LS1Tech, I have yet to hear of a first hand experience where some damage was done to their motor directly (with no other related issues) because of not having the steam tubes hooked up correctly.

I have run two GEN III's without the the steam tube hooked up to the radiator for thousands and thousands of miles without any bad results.

Just my 2 cents.

We should call you Mr. Moneybags O.o

Can't wait to see the new setup! What tranny are you going to be using?

Haha! The entire long block with both manifolds, fuel injectors / rails, throttle body, coils, all sensors, flex plate, alternator, ect... cost me 350$ Which I may be able to get close to back after selling off all the crap I don't use. I purchased the BorgWarner turbo a while back off of "theturboforums" for 450$ shipped.

I will be using a TH350, I have already disassembled it, replace all the clutch's / seals, and installed a shift kit. This will be my first time experiencing a high horse power automatic car.

Are you using the s475 you had?

I picked up a BW S400 with the 75mm compressor a little while back. Exhaust side is a 1.32 with T6 housing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...