HybridZ

I've done a horrible thing.... I've driven a Mercedes. Can I be forgiven?

MAG58

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I daily drive a '92 190e 2.6.

Best damn car I've ever owned. Back in '92 it sold for 35K!!! Quiet, solid, quick, and good mpg..25++

I bought it for $1800.00 back in '02 with a broken timing chain.

I beat the living piss out of it every day:flamedevi. Love that 5 link rear suspension. A little ho hum under 3000 rpm, but then she wails all the way to red line. :burnout:(same displacement as my 260z!!)

I can't break it :).

After reading about the upgrades available, the wheels are a start'n to turn :icon56:. Not sure I need another project........

I had the M104 Twin Cam engine in my Euro W124 E320 and love it..for 217hp it would accelerate great. I hated the 2nd gear starts but once you got rolling, it was awesome. 100mp/h was hardly breaking a sweat.

A M104 in a 190E would be simply awesome!!! Way better than the Cosworth 16V 2.3L..as you cannot beat that silky straight six...being Z owners we all know about silky 6 cylinders.

I love the look of the 190E and they have aged very very well and super cheap to buy! $1500 buys you a nice running one!

Mayolives post up some pics of your W124 500E. One of my all time favorite Benzes! Love that car to bits!

Woj...awesome SL55!!! That engine is incredible....one of the best ever put in a production car. Modded? What year?

Yasin

Woj...awesome SL55!!! That engine is incredible....one of the best ever put in a production car. Modded? What year?

Yasin

Stock, 2003. Just bought it for next to nothing (relative to what they went for new). The torque on it is insane from about 2 grand up, but you can really feel the weight of the car going through the corners. Still, quite fun to commit late night speed infractions in, if one were so inclined.

Well I finally found some pictures on the rev. 190rev.net is a great site if you've got a W201...

These are from member xixang, who did a full writeup on his E320 M104 stuffed (literally) into his W201...

r027-1.jpg

It's tight...

nov22006014.jpg

Getrag Dog-leg 5 speed ;)

nov22006015.jpg

• Administrators

Mag,

Went to U-pull-it yesterday looking for some parts for my LSx BMW conversion, (ended up bringing home some Merc 190 parts that I will most likely end up in my BMW), and they had these 2 running Merc 190’s for sale! Our God daughter is looking for a first car, loves BMW’s and Mercedes. We are going to look them over bit closer tomorrow…

The white car has Infiniti wheels on it, (J30, G20?), busted pass tail light, not sure what is going on with the driver window or pass window.

White car;

White1.jpg

White2.jpg

White3.jpg

White4.jpg

White5.jpg

Brown car has that tacky chrome wheel arch chrome;

Brown car;

Brn1.jpg

Brn2.jpg

Brn3.jpg

Brn4.jpg

This U-Pull-It lot is a target rich environment for Euro and Japanese cars. A Z-32, handful of J-30s, couple Q-45’s, LOTS of ‘80’s and early ’90 BMW E-30 5 series and 7 series, (one 750iL with the V-12 still in the car) only one E36, trashed out convertible! Lots of Mercedes cars, 300 and 4 & 6 cylinder 190’s…

Did Someone say V12???

ats06eng2.jpg

This mercedes is the 7.3L amg version, with 4 turbo's added. It went in a very affluent french man's Skyline complete with sequential 6 speed.

On the lower boost setting it made well over 1400hp and probably close to 1600tq...though running out of turbo.

Braap... I'm jealous. 190e's here are pretty rare compared to the larger W124 chassis cars.

If your daughter wants a safe first car the 89-93 added SRS air bags, improved crumple zones, and different mounts that allowed the powertrain to move farther away from the pass compartment in the event of a head on collision. The 2.3 is kinda anemic in a 2900lb car, but makes for a good commuter. The 2.6 has a slightly revised engine bay for the longer six and moves pretty good with 170hp and more torque. Both get high 20's on average and both can see well over 300k before re-build if you watch the wear on the valve stem seals.

And if you want to swap in the M104 the 2.6 chassis would make your life easier, as it's a bolt in operation (with re-wire) :flamedevi. IIRC they're both asking a little high for those cars, especially the 2.3.

I'm personally looking for the 86-88 cars as they're 200lbs lighter.

If you're really motivated, the LSx swap has been done before and weight right at the weight of the E36 M3CSL (2950lbs) with not much work to drop that a bunch, would make for a naughty naughty little benz.

And you'll be glad to know, raping a 500e for springs, a front sway bar, and a 400e for calipers and disks (or an early (pre 93) 500e with the alloy brembos if you're just not happy with overkill) will give you a monster of a little car on the twisties, especially if you grab some Billstein HD's or Koni's. Having a JY as your main source for performance suspension make a mercedes a little less pricy than you'd think a mercedes should be :2thumbs:

• 1 month later...

YES. That just made my day. The old MB's when AMG was a race team and not part of the company were way better. They definitely lost some of their balls when they became part of benz and had to make 'sedate' performance cars.