HybridZ

I've done a horrible thing.... I've driven a Mercedes. Can I be forgiven?

MAG58

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Year and chassis number?

The OM606 was a beast of a motor, fantastic DOHC head and would really move for a Diesel.

The OM603 (replaced by the OM606 in 98) was also a fantastic motor, but a few things.

Check, check, check for service records on these cars. The 350SDL was a torque monster and will happily tow you around every day, but the early cars had a mfg falt. If they have the factory replacement motor, expect to see Semi-truck like service and rebuild intervals, if not check elsewhere. The 3.0L OM603 was around for a long time. The lastest issues of them had all the problems sorted out but the early motors had head cracking problems in the back pair of cylinders. Again, proper service records and a factory replacement head means you're good to go for MANY miles to come.

And in the event you would want a performance diesel....

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 300e as one of my first cars. Loved it. If I had known the possiblities i would have gone for it. But, truth be told, I always wanted an e30. :) (yes Im one of those e30 people).

But when I did look for parts for the e300 there really isnt an aftermarket for it?

Unless Im completely off, and there is a company making suspension components for the car, sway bars blah blah blah.

Maybe other Mercedes parts are interchangeable though.

Thats cause us bimmer guys dont get along with any crowd haha.

Haha in Europe they are driven as TAXI cabs haha

My dad has a Mercedes but im a BMW guy and it doesnt seem to be a fact that the Beemer vrowd goes with the merc crowd to well here..

So nice TAXI'S guys :P

Haha in Europe they are driven as TAXI cabs haha

My dad has a Mercedes but im a BMW guy and it doesnt seem to be a fact that the Beemer vrowd goes with the merc crowd to well here..

So nice TAXI'S guys :P

So how demoralizing is it when your car gets walked on by a Taxi?

So how demoralizing is it when your car gets walked on by a Taxi?

haha what ya bringing a Brabus Rocket :P Mercedes apart from the AMG's arent particully known for a sporty or fast drive. However together with Beemers to me they are with no doubt the best build cars out there. 9op to 300.000 KM with nothing rattling!

But to come back at your statement bring your merc and lets go to the ring :P

I Think it is just styling, the Merc is more 'baroc' styled (the way the buttons for seat adjustment are layed out) where the BMW is more 'Modern'.

Funny to see how actually a continent makes a diffrence, as where a brand stands In europe beemers and mercs roughly have the same crows

Yeah, but only one subset of the two populations perpetually drives in the left lane with their left blinker on, and a finger continually on the fullbeam switch...

"EPBMWD"

LOL

foto_6_.jpg

Haha great mercs normally drive with sheepskin covers and elderly's on the right lane where they belong ';)

Without bullshit the e190 evolution as posted in this thread is really cool! And like said Mercedes i great build car like a BMW

Don't get me wrong, I thing any Merc aside from W201's and W124 500e's are Buses. The W201's and E30's both fought like Dogs for many years (I personally am of the belief they were basically equal cars, but the E30's were piloted by better drivers) in DTM. I've always loved the W201 because it's relatively light for the time period (featherweight for Mercedes) even for a 4 door and It can handle (and run if poked with the right bit of persuasion) in a way that far exceeded its appearance.

In Europe I always see BMW and Benz like Ford and Chev here. Love one hate the other. Why cant we all be unified? Against Audi...

Don't get me wrong, I thing any Merc aside from W201's and W124 500e's are Buses. The W201's and E30's both fought like Dogs for many years (I personally am of the belief they were basically equal cars, but the E30's were piloted by better drivers) in DTM. I've always loved the W201 because it's relatively light for the time period (featherweight for Mercedes) even for a 4 door and It can handle (and run if poked with the right bit of persuasion) in a way that far exceeded its appearance.

In Europe I always see BMW and Benz like Ford and Chev here. Love one hate the other. Why cant we all be unified? Against Audi...

Audi ? isnt that a rebadged volkswagen ? :P Like said i believe it is pure styling build qaulity of the cars are on the same level. As i always see on my dads (taxi :P)

Hey, I happen to like Audi. I know that they supposedly have terrible electronics, but the only problems that my family had with our '97 A4 2.8 quattro (well, only problem untill it was totaled) was the two bad start motors it got.

(that being said, don't get me started on the stuff *not* covered by the maintenance intervals...like the damn fuel filter....or how fracking idiotic the mounting for it is...)

Why did the Auto Union dominate at that time?

Though using the term 'leaders'... According to the official Merc posters they didn't produce anything from 35 till the gullwing...

BMW wasn't squat then, they made bikes and airplane parts...

I hear they had a shortage of competent bicycle manufacturers in-country then, though. They relied heavily on compulsory voulntary donation importation from neighboring countries to fill that need. All das kliene kinder frolicing in the alps in lederhosen singing "valderi valdera, valderi, valdera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha, et cetera..."

What then did Audi make between the Quattro S series and the Type D, or really when they got out of F1? I think that time difference is greater than between 35 and 55 for the SLR.

I'm not saying I don't like Audi. But I do feel that whoever designed them intentionally made them a PITA to work on. I could never own one since it would probably cause me to be committed.