HybridZ

I got my new Aluminum heads!

I bought these the other day. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150310087856&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT About all I can say is what a great looking smoking deal these were!

They look awesome. I have a pair of AFR 220's laying on the bench, fresh and ready to go so I compared them. Guys, if your in the market for a set of aluminum heads to compliment your engine, seriously take a look at these heads. I talked to the guy on the phone and encouraged him to register here as a vendor.

I ordered these and they were delivered as stated in the auction and boy do they look good. 2.05 and 1.6 valves, pretty good flow numbers and they even take vortec intake manifolds. No heat riser, no name, no brand, but they are pretty darn good quality and you can't beat the price!

I'll run them and let you all know what I think of them installed on a little 355 chevy in my jeep!

Nice! Did you get a shipping number or anything for them? I haven't heard on mine except asking about spring rates. I might email them tomorrow.

Yeah, it takes them 5 to 7 days to build the heads, then they sent me a tracking number and poof they were here.

I took one cylinder set of valves apart. Very nice. All the work is done on a serdi machine, total quality from what I see. The heads look alot like the AFR's in some respects and alot like a set of World Products heads in some respects. My guess is that like most production parts from aftermarket, somebody sent them over to china and these are basically clones. While not CNC machined ports like my AFR's they are very nice and the casting quality is very, very good. Just look at these pictures, the inside of the ports and the water jacket is completely smooth, no casting flash and hasn't been ground off, just quality castings. Deck thickness is close to the same as my afr's, they are beefy, weigh 58 lbs for the pair. 2.05 intake valves, 1.6 exhaust valves. Very decent for the price and a good value IMO after seeing them first hand. I'll run them and follow up.

As for flowing them grumpy, I could, but I'm not going to spend the money to do that. I will run them however and see what I think. But you can see for yourself, they are very nice for the price as compared to re-working a set of stock, even vortec heads which will set you back $500 by the time you get screw in studs, guideplates, springs, valves, 10 degree retainers, 10 degree locks, bronze guides, etc, etc. And I doubt you can fit 2.05 valves in vortec or any gm head anyway with stock valve spacing.

DSC_0620.JPG

DSC_0621.JPG

DSC_0622.JPG

DSC_0623.JPG

Edited by dr_hunt

I think so Wayne, we will see though how they work. I hope to have this engine running by the end of the weekend or even by mid next week. I hope it makes somewhere close to 425hp. My rockers are adjustable ratio so I'll play with that some, but to start I'll run 1.6 in the intake and 1.5 on the exhaust which should yield about .540 lift on the intake and .525 on the exhaust, which should compliment the heads reported flow numbers nicely. I'm putting a victor jr. on it also as I scored a 3500 stall converter for $100 so it won't be seeing much of the low rpm band. :lmao:

Mine showed up Friday morning, but I never got a tracking number. Oh well :)

I don't have anything to compare them to, but they sure do look nice! Like Doc said very clean casting, little to no excess flashing, solid looking heads. The only thing is mine are angle plug when I requested straight. Hopefully my headers still fit.

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

Well, that's a good question. I have 3 sets of AFR's laying around and on various enignes, 2 sets of 220's and 1 set of 227's, all work flawlessly and make great power. But all are roller cam application heads and fully cnc'd versions that I invested around $1700 to $2200 per pair over the years.

But in undertaking my jeep build, trying to do it on the cheap I was perplexed as to what heads to put on it. I've got $800 in the shortblock with the stock vette pan on it. I had a set of world products sportsman heads 200cc but they needed hardware like valves, springs, retainers, locks, guideplates, studs, and a valve job. By the time I get all that I'll have $500 in them and I wanted this jeep to be a force in the neighborhood and pieces just kept becoming available like a th350 with a 205 t-case, 3500 stall (nitrous and t brake) converter for $100, etc, etc. So it became obvious that just any old set of heads wouldn't do and a bigger bumpstick was probably in order to take advantage of the converter. My first cam choice fell through and I scored a bigger cam anyway for less $$$. Soooooo, while shopping on ebay for steal of a deal items I stumbled across those. Actually I had bought jeg's heads only to find that they didn't even have them, so I got these instead.

I'm about ready to fire mine for the first time tomorrow and the custom drivelines will be done by U-joints inc. of Albuquerque on Wednesday afternoon, so I'll drive it down to the local muffler shop and have some duals with stock, (cough cough), I know, I'm sick, mufflers put on it. Yup, you heard it right, even though I have single chamber flowmaster race mufflers on the shelf I'm going stock, super quiet, kick your butt, sleeper jeep that'll probably run in the 12's in the quarter mile. Yup, got a B&M z gate shifter to bang the gears with while screaming up the hills. Sad, had to use my ceramic coated sanderson headers on the jeep cause nothing else would fit. So, will have to order me some more sanderson block huggers for my z project. Ah, don't cry, it's only an addiction to speed.

I posted a thread about it, probably do a search on the sanderson block huggers with 1-7/8" primary tubes for bigger ci and hp engines. Ceramic coated were $400+ delivered but work with the angle plug heads. Honestly the plugs are super easy to get to with those headers.

Doc: Which Sanderson part number headers are you going to use on your Zcar with angle plug heads? I will be ordering some also as I have AFR 195 angle plug heads. Also, can you recommend an oil pan that I can use for Road Racing and my SBC is a late model factory roller tappet block? Corvette Pan? Please advise. Thanks.

I posted this thread sometime back. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132588&highlight=sanderson+headers

Yup, they are friggin awesome on the z and on the angle plug AFR heads!!!!

Ah, the one piece seal motor? If so I would go with the canton pan.

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=15-240T

• 1 month later...

Getting mine all back tomorrow, along with the 400 block. Should have running in a week or so. LOL Honestly, others sell the same head. I can't imagine some clown putting 2.055 valves on seats cut for 2.02 valves and resurfacing the valve so it'll seat as it would be easier and better to recut the seat :rolleyes: Others sell the same head for about $649. If you do a bowl clean up I'm sure they will work fine. I changed springs as these had alittle more spring pressure open than the cam manufacturer recommended.