HybridZ

What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a welded rear diff?

dpuma8

I am checking out some Datsun Z cars to buy and one of them lists a welded rear differential as a modification. I did a search here and I couldn't find anything really.

When I looked online, I read in some forums that a welded rear diff is great for people who drift their cars or some like it for off roading in their truck. I read that it affects drivability and wears out tires at low speeds.

I intend on getting a weekend cruiser and maybe do a few track runs but that pretty much is it. Can you please tell me the advantages/disadvantages of a welded diff? Based on how I will use my car and my LS engine transplant goal, is this modification one to avoid?

personally i think it's all down to how you want the car to feel. If you're looking to get the car sideways every so often then why not? Try driving a small car with a welded diff before you make up your mind. Maybe you like it, maybe you don't.

Can anyone elaborate on their answer more? I don't know anyone who has a welded differential to ride in. One person said that it isn't good for my kind of driving. Why is that? Is it dangerous?

I read somewhere that a problem with a welded differential is that when you turn at low speeds, the ride will be really rough because both wheels are spinning at the same speed making the car hop a little.

Anymore information would be great because this car looks great but that is the only thing holding me back.

From what I've experienced and heard, welded diffs make the car understeer a lot more so you would have to adjust the rest of the suspension if you prefer oversteer. Parking is real hard, and really abuses the half shafts unless you have a CV mod done. As you know how a differential works, when turning a small radius, the inner wheel travels a smaller distance compared to the outer. So imagine a locked diff; the inner wheel will be rotating the same speed as the outer wheel so say as you are doing a u-turn, you will hear the inner wheel "skipping" as the car is turning..like doing a slow motion burnout with that one tyre. Unless you have a full on race car, I would'nt bother.

Personally, I would never run with a welded LSD. I've had two 240sx's with 2way lsd's and driven one with a welded diff. They are great for drifting and drag but other than that, I wouldn't. The main concern for me was during wet conditions. With the 2 way, the rear end always wanted to break loose and oversteer. It's worst on a welded diff and at any speed. If you are going to drive the car in the rain at all don't go with the welded Diff.

A friend of mine lost control of his Ae86 Corolla on the freeway in light rain because of his welded diff, just from letting off the gas at a cruising speed. A combination of worn engine/trans mount and welded diff caused the rear end to lock up for just a quick moment and lost complete traction.

Plus its kinda embarrasing when you're in a parking lot trying to park and its making all kinds of squeking noises.

Advantages:

- More traction in a straight line.

- Easier to get sideways than an open diff.

- Two wheeled burnout.

Disadvantages:

- Increased tire wear.

- Old ladies give you dirty looks when making tight maneuvers in parking lots and you're "squealing your wheels."

- More prone to breakage of axles. (someone will have to verify this point)

A welded diff is a pain. Ive tracked welded, open and LSD and the welded is best avoided.

Say good-bye to tight turning radiuses and start stregthening your forearms. Also install rain tires as I find wet control hazardous at best.

Long fast tracks handle welded well but once you go tight and twisty..PITA. IMO. and experience.

• 2 months later...

I just got my 74 260 on the road that I bought for $400 and the guy I bought it from could tell me little about it because he never got the time to work on it. After starting to investigate the car I learned the rearend was welded. The tires squeal in parking lots, but it rides smooth even when turning. It gets sideways really easy. If you make a 90 degree turn from a stop sign and it revs past 3 grand or so before u finish the turn it will kick the back in out. In the ran the car is scary and I baby it around every turn, I have been driving it for 3 weeks now and have had it sideways in traffic twice already. I would go as far as to say it was dangerous if you forget you have it or drive somewhat carelessly.

I apologize if there are errors in my post i find it difficult to post from my phone.

• 8 months later...

I have a welded differential in my 280 and I would not recommend it unless you are going to drag race or drift. It's terrible to turn and sounds like it is going to break a shaft just trying to park it somewhere. I am taking it out next week. It was in the car when I bought it and it took me a little while to figure out what was going on.

Based on how I will use my car and my LS engine transplant goal, is this modification one to avoid?

Yes.

in my honest opinion, if you are thinking about an LS swap you are going to want an r200 to sustain the torque that comes with it, as well as the options for clutch type LSDs. If you are tired of having that pirate of a pegleg while you are out and about having fun, get a welded diff. depending on where you are and who you know welding a diff will cost anywhere from $50-$100; which in comparison to a clutch type lsd is screaming cheap. For the minimal power mods that might come before the LS, the welded diff will take care of your fears of having the r180's spider gears fail (as per some thread on the faq section).

I run a welded diff on my 240z, not an issue on all of the fun roads that happen to be around; hell Australian V8 super cars run locked diffs. yes by itself a welded diff will cause understeer under typical driving conditions [slow in fast out] but if you are aggressive then it is minimalized.

remember in the 70s, welded/locked diffs were on racecars, so.... period correct?

If your decision on whether or not to buy this car is the welded diff don't worry about it. Open R200's are plentiful and cheap and easy to change out. Look at the rest of the car. If it's a straight, solid, rust free car and everything else is as you want then buy it and swap out the diff. JMHO.