HybridZ

i missed something...

vega

so... why swap in a l28et? i can lower my compression with a bigger gasket right? cant i turbo the stock l28e i have in my 78 by using the manifold off the 81 up turbo zx motor? and modify the injection system and whatnot?

and can i not do this to harness on the 78 i have as well? (so i can run nistune)

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=91250

or is the stock l28e (bottom end) just not up to the task of 300-400 hp? (at motor) i mean i can change out the pistons and rods for say forged ones....

how many other people went this rout. because of all the searching iv done i pretty much see people swap the motor... i, actually having a hard time finding the motor for a decent price. i mean if im going to spend that kind of money on a motor i may as well go buy an rb series and swap it in with the McKinney kit.

whats your guys opinion on this? i mean 400hp really is not alot of power to me... im used ive seen 1.6 lt Honda motors (b16a2) go that far and reliably. so i just dont see why not stay with the l28 i have...

any info would be awesome.

L28ET or L28 will work for you. BUT if you find an entire L28ET or running ZXT, you get EVERYTHING you need to do the swap, PLUS, the lower compression ratio.

I bought a running ZXT for $530. All I did was clean and paint the motor before the swap. Then I sold off parts of the ZX to pay for the extra add-ons.

Either way will work. The main difference between the two motors, is water flow around the cylinders, and compression ratio.

Guest Rolling Parts
im used ive seen 1.6 lt Honda motors (b16a2) go that far and reliably.

There is a technological chasm between a 1960's designed SOHC N/A L-series engine and a modern turbocharged engine. The "money" comes in by trying to revamp the old into something closer to the new.

The turbo L28ET swap is done because it's:

a) EASY (as far as engine swaps go)

B) Makes sense if you're starting with a smaller engine (240Z)

c) Fast (Has all the parts to get a turbo L series base engine going)

You're at a different place so it may not be the route you want to go....

so is it that you would suggest turbocharging the motor i have then?

"water flow around the cylinders" also to this ive seen this before but no real in depth explanation. is it an open deck vs closed then or what? closed decks are stronger but also don't have the extra area to cool the motor but that is solved with other basic things ie larger radiator and better fans and the whatnot. - in fact most guys who have an open deck in other motors use a block guard so that when they DO make lots of power it doesn't blow up . the block guard then replaces the area where it was not filled with metal more or less.

L28ET or L28 will work for you. BUT if you find an entire L28ET or running ZXT, you get EVERYTHING you need to do the swap, PLUS, the lower compression ratio.

I bought a running ZXT for $530. All I did was clean and paint the motor before the swap. Then I sold off parts of the ZX to pay for the extra add-ons.

Either way will work. The main difference between the two motors, is water flow around the cylinders, and compression ratio.

so you bought an entire car? yeah- ive thought of that... they are hard to find too at least up here in mn.

Guest Rolling Parts
so you bought an entire car? yeah- ive thought of that... they are hard to find too at least up here in mn.

You can find great engines in rusted cars in the northeast. Ever think of a non-Nissan engine for an easy 400hp?

so... why swap in a l28et? i can lower my compression with a bigger gasket right? cant i turbo the stock l28e i have in my 78 by using the manifold off the 81 up turbo zx motor? and modify the injection system and whatnot?

:hs:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=153195

It's been near the top of the turbocharger forum for a while now...

I'm not typing this for my own health, ya know! :mrgreen:

I turbocharged my, AFAIK, completly stock L28E. No thicker head gasket, flat top pistons and a P90 head, that from what I've seen puts this engine at 8.8:1 SCR, perfect SCR for turbocharging IMO, well actually a little lower than I like, but I'm not about to sink a bunch of money into an engine that I only plan on leaving in the car for a couple years. ;)

I went the "add a turbo" route, because it's hard to find a complete L28ET around here, at least not without spending way more than the engine is actually worth, and the fact that I wouldn't be using most of the L28ET parts, like the ECM, or fuel rail, injectors, TB, etc.

Basically, I bought an L28ET exhaust manifold, bolted a turbo I already had to it, bought an N47 intake, modified it to be cleaner (removed bolt bosses and throttle linkage towers), then had an adator made to use a GM throttle body, installed an L28 dizzy, connected to a GM ignition control module and used a GM ECM to run the show. This was much easier to find and get the parts, which I found all Nissan specific parts in the classifieds here on HybridZ, and other parts locally.

there was other miscalenous parts, such as injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump fuel lines, wiring intake tubing, etc, that I mostly purchased locally that will have to be taken into account when you do your build, but most of the time, at least some of these parts would need to be supplied seperatly from getting a complete L28ET anyway.

On top of that, I see most people swap out the L28ET ECU rather soon after swapping in, and getting it running. Boost is addictive and it doesn't take long before you will want more, and that's where a tunable ECM comes into play, MS, 300ZX ECM with Nistune, GM ECM ( :D ) or other tunable EMS.

Six_shooter's car is plenty fast. And there is a lot more to have. Go with what you have it will be fine. Just dont expect too much too soon...work up to your goals.

I did the same with a 100% stock KA24e and it amazing what will work before a melt down.

Six_shooter's car is plenty fast. And there is a lot more to have. Go with what you have it will be fine. Just dont expect too much too soon...work up to your goals.

I did the same with a 100% stock KA24e and it amazing what will work before a melt down.

HAHA, yeah, Jerry, it's already a little faster now, then last year when I was following you. I can't wait until next year when I get some parts sorted out like the intercooler. ;)

But I quoted you because of the good advice to take reasonable steps to get to the goals. I think too many people push the envelope to far too quickly and that's what causes problems. That's part of the reason I'm still only up to 11 PSIG max boost on my set-up currently, 14 PSIG was just a tad too much for no intercooler.

Just as an FYI, here is a turbo exhaust manifold in the classifieds:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=154088

Here is a full swap:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=154729

Pallnet Fuel and injectors:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=154948

Along with many other classifieds from just parts to full swaps. Just to give you ideas of what can be found.

But I quoted you because of the good advice to take reasonable steps to get to the goals. I think too many people push the envelope to far too quickly and that's what causes problems. That's part of the reason I'm still only up to 11 PSIG max boost on my set-up currently, 14 PSIG was just a tad too much for no intercooler.

I am super new to this but I'll agree here.

I went from 160* max IATs on 8 lbs down to ~70-80* max IATs with my Volvo 740 Intercooler.

• 2 weeks later...

im doing the same thing with my L28E motor, I found a complete L28ET Running with a wiring harness and ECU rebuilt with 5k on it for $500 in WA. For the time being I'm going to 2mm HG my l28e and put the L28ET turbo equipment on it and p90 head, along with the stock 280zxt injectors and dizzy, and oil pan so I wont need to tap a line in. Selling the leftovers for a FMIC intercooler and 3" exhaust to relieve the pressure. Hopefully Ill be turning to Standalone for the ECU tuning... afterall, we sit here and argue about heart transplant or parting together a turbo, from reading your statements, it looks like it would be more economical and practical for you to go with the mismatch franken L28e, besides, this is Hybridz.org nothing is done the same way twice around here!

ive been IMing 6shooter about how to do what he did and to help me understand it a little better- his way is MUCH better than nistune and cheaper in the long run. plus in my opinion it would run better on the gm ecu. i am thinking that a gt35r is going to be way to big though for my goals. i want something JUST big enough to take the motor to 400whp with no mods to the head or higher compression etc.