HybridZ

Rb oil pan mods

motoman

So with a big oil pan and more oil will that prevent that problem I heard about with RBs once they get to a certain horsepower. I heard that RB25 usually throw a rod around 500 and Rb26 around 600 with stock internals. Or is that a some type of tuning issue and not associated with the amount of oil flowing around the engine.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So with a big oil pan and more oil will that prevent that problem I heard about with RBs once they get to a certain horsepower. I heard that RB25 usually throw a rod around 500 and Rb26 around 600 with stock internals. Or is that a some type of tuning issue and not associated with the amount of oil flowing around the engine.

I don't know about the fact that more oil will pervent the engine blowing up at high hp but I think with more oil in the pan will pervent the oil starvation problem.

Here are some pics of the progress I did tonight

oil pan 4 001_thumb.JPG

oil pan 4 002_thumb.JPG

oil pan 4 003_thumb.JPG

Now I read somewhere about a breather being in the oil pan. Does the stock pan have breathers on it. I know where they are on a VG I have no idea where they are on a RB. Just wondering I thought that your pcv works as a breather well at least on a VG. I have seen pics of oil pans with breather valve installed in them. Is that necessary.

The oil pump design isn't the best, either.

Power limits are definitely affected by tuning. The further you go, the narrower your margin is going to be. At a certain point, it's just a matter of time. Most engines don't have concrete and very precise information on this. There are merely examples of when one blew or one that's able to put some numbers down on a dyno and still stay together (for some period of time). Beyond that, it's mostly a crapshoot.

My friends say there is no way I can get 350 on RB25 without changing the injectors and turbo. But I have seen some people post around 370 with stock turbo and injector.

IIRC, the injectors are 370 cc.

Oil pan requirements depend on what you want to do with the car. Road racing is probably the hardest on pan requirements. Check the Aussie forums for whp capabilities.

So how safe would I be if I only want about 450Hp and what mods do I need to get me there. Whats the most I can expect with 550 injector, nistune ecu, fmic, and running about 12 psi on a stock turbo.

You need an upgraded turbo. You are way low on both available boost and flow of the boost you are getting by sticking with the stock turbo. Look at a Holset, etc. The holsets with a v-band outlet are probably easier to fab a downpipe for, anyways.

Well I guess I dont have too paint it now. Lol

I didn't want it to start rusting. This pan was kicking my but last night. I don't know what it was, but it's almost done I just need to put the drain plug and the windage tray and it's done

Here is my rb20 pan for an rb26

had to beat out the area around the block pickup

DSC03081.jpg

DSC03082.jpg

modified pickup... basically used some of the rb20, rb25 and rb26 pickup to make this one. One of the advantages of being in japan when doing this is there are scrap motors all over the place that you can get stuff like this really cheap.

DSC03083.jpg

Front part of the pan had to be moved around a bit. DSC03085.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

This one hole i had to use a allen head bolt a standard 10mm bolt would not fit.