HybridZ

My latest project...a new Z!!

cygnusx1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used stock mount on the diff  and trans for now.  I just changed out all the bushings for black poly.  I've been pecking at the car here and there. The interior is almost complete. The engine bay is almost fully dressed. The car is ready for wheels. Once it's rolling, I will back it outside and build the motor for it. I polished up the paint on the drivers front fender. Lots of "age" on the paint. It came out really nice though. I hope the rest of the paint comes out as nicely.

801807094_8GhXi-XL.jpg

801806447_B5i8B-XL.jpg

801805626_NBqQA-XL.jpg

801805342_7i5Qr-XL.jpg

801807426_t4e2y-XL.jpg

Off the jackstands and officially now a ROLLER again. Time to build the motor.

Never say never...if you look in the right places, even a rust free Z can have some rust. This should be pretty easy to take care of as a temporary fix until it goes to a body shop in a couple of years.

807172038_E9NTL-XL.jpg

807172588_dh2yz-XL.jpg

807172744_YvGXs-XL.jpg

807173315_qW8Dq-XL.jpg

807173837_RPawK-XL.jpg

807174057_PToNS-XL.jpg

Dave,

Looking good man. From your comment in the video about the turn signals not working. There are 2 relays on the 240Z one for the turn signals another for the hazards. If they are the originals they are barrel shaped; the turn signal one is on the steering column under the dash (not inside the plastic column surround) or it might be bolted right near the column. The hazard relay is mounted on the passenger side kick panel almost even with the underside of the dash, near the top of the kick panel to the left of another relay.

Dave,

Looking good man. From your comment in the video about the turn signals not working. There are 2 relays on the 240Z one for the turn signals another for the hazards. If they are the originals they are barrel shaped; the turn signal one is on the steering column under the dash (not inside the plastic column surround) or it might be bolted right near the column. The hazard relay is mounted on the passenger side kick panel almost even with the underside of the dash, near the top of the kick panel to the left of another relay.

Yeah what he said cool.gif

Car looking good.biggrin.gif

Right on, thanks guys! I forgot to update that I did get the blinkers working.  The flasher unit near the column was missing and a couple of spade connectors under the column were criss crossed.  Now everything electrical works.  Even the key buzzer! 

Edited by cygnusx1

Right on, thanks guys! I forgot to update that I did get the blinkers working. The flasher unit near the column was missing and a couple of spade connectors under the column were criss crossed. Now everything electrical works. Even the key buzzer!

OUCH, not the annoying key buzzer...wink.gif

super spiffy. Not digging the rust fix though. Please don't do that, I found that crap all over my car and it caused it to get worse. You wait a year on that and it will be worse. Buy the 90 dollar panel from zstore.com, drill factory spot welds and weld it back in. then just paint it the same way. Shouldn't look bad, just tack it at the factory spot welds.

super spiffy. Not digging the rust fix though. Please don't do that, I found that crap all over my car and it caused it to get worse. You wait a year on that and it will be worse. Buy the 90 dollar panel from zstore.com, drill factory spot welds and weld it back in. then just paint it the same way. Shouldn't look bad, just tack it at the factory spot welds.

The key buzzer is OBNOXIOS!  I just wanted to make it work so I could say I did, and then I'll disconnect it like everyone did.  :wacko:

I am REALLY bad at bodywork.  My idea is to slow the corrosion until I can have it done right.  I know it's not right, but with the way I will be using the car, it should last a while.  I can't really defend my method of repair which is mainly cosmetic.  The car will likely never see rain, and will be garaged full time so preservation for a year or two is my immediate goal.

I think i will buy the replacement panel and hang on to it just to remind me to have it fixed right.

BTW, there are steps I took that are not shown in the pics.  I brushed off all the loose rust, sanded it, dug deep into the seam with a steel blade.  Then I soaked rust converter in the seams and let it run through all the gaps in the panel.  I wiped it all down with degreaser, and sprayed it with paint.  Then I sealed the seam.  I will patch the holes with JB weld, then skim coat with a filler.  I'll top it off with a quick spray of color after sanding again.  I think it will hold for a couple of dry years. 

Edited by cygnusx1

I'm really surprised there is no rust anywhere else but there is there. Must have been a bad taillight/hatch seal? I think it will hold for a couple of years with your repair work  :)

There was no seam sealer where the sill meets the quarters.  The water just ran right into the joint there.  The seam sealer under the sill, where it meets the tail panel was cracked, and the sill was bent down a bit.  I think someone sat or stepped on the sill, bent it, and destroyed the joints.  Water could enter the joint freely, and it would sit there hidden in the seam.  All it took was  a little water from rain, or from washing the car once, for the water to fill the seam.  It's repaired now, temporarily.  Came out OK.  Better than when I started, so that's progress, no?  

807836779_wxcLU-XL.jpg

807836849_PZ8aF-XL.jpg

807836748_BcB6k-XL.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1