HybridZ

L28 diesel?

bryand2

There aren't many diesel threads around here, not quite the type of swap most people are looking to do.

AFAIK, tecknomage is the only HBZer with a LD28 swap current (he's been having some computer problems though, dunno how much he's about to get on these days), and (also AFAIK), I'm the only HBZer currently working on a diesel swap.

That being said, feel free to bump any of the diesel threads you find if you have questions that aren't answered in them. One of these days I'll get around to hosting a bunch of LD swap pictures I got from tecknomage

if your talking about actually getting a ld28 good luck, anyone who knows what the cranks are worth you cant find a crappy motor for under 800, best bet is junkyards, cause they dont know what they have...the car motors were only in 3 or 4 years of the maxima diesel but you can find them in old fork lifts and stuff

• 4 weeks later...

I spend most of my time on Zdriver, But i am curently working on a LD28 for my 83 2+2, but heavy modded LD. Most of the work is still in AutoDesk lookin for the stress points before i spend the money building only for it to fail. With the rareity of these engines. it's best to do as much research as possible. the current project is:

LD28 bored to 3.0

P90 head Ported, Polished, and CC Modds

ARP head studds-largest possible

Cummins NON-TURBO Injector Pump

Injectors mounted into spark plug holes converting into Direct Injection.

T4 or equal turbo remote mounted near rear bumber.

Starting boost 7PSI

New pistions that target the compressed (about 600PSI unboosted 17:1CR) - into the injectors

I aim to have then engine running N/A before I boost. The aim of this project is mainly to see if it's possible. Also a more modern L engine for DD. Plus Diesel engines will be replaced long after the gas engine. I want my Z for alot more years to come. Hopes of higher HP and tourq, but retain the MPG boosted LD28 give. The main concerns of the start are head gasket and Fuel tunning. For unboosted I'll attempt the LD28 Injection pump. Most of the compression will have to be made in the pistons and reworked CC, As the P90 will not be able to be shaved enough.

Panzer, Fubar mentions using a Cummins Non Turbo injector pump, No idea what cummins pumps are like, but they aren't stock LD28 pumps which are a Denso copy of A Bosch pump, and essesentially the same as the Pre-93 RD manual injector pumps.

Personally, for the work required, I'd just use the RB mounts and pans and install an RD28T if a diesel is wanted.

I was going to attempt to use the Stock injection pump untill boosted. Even though the stock engine is InDirect, it still see's great pressures. The Cummins Non-Turbo pump will supply way to much fuel UnBoosted. It's a project, Plus besides the injection pump, I'll be able to use a regular N/A or Turbo valve cover. With a remote turbo. This will also allot the use a a Header system a N/A engine would normally utilize. It's a bit of curiosity mixed with a lil bit of unique.

Well if you are shooting for performance diesel... I would build up a stroker L, aftermarket forged rods good set of pop up pistons, and a P90 head. Put it all in a N42 block. Convert the P90 over to direct injection. If I am not mistaken, older mechanical cummins engines use a pump very similar to a bosch pump, if it isn't actually a bosch pump. There are a lot of guys who know how to mod these pumps, so the could probably tell you how to drop fuel output down to an appropriate level for an NA 3.0L. If you could get the compression ratio up there a ways you would have torque excellent bottom end, and MPG to boot. Would also run either a mild turbo cam, or retard the stock cam. Would be an interesting build for sure.

Well like Dan said. at first a N/A LD won't have that high of fuel needs. Not untill turbo. The stock pump might be able to be converted, or tune down the 5.9L cummins pump. I do like your idea Dan, building a perf diesel from a N42 block instead of spending about a year to track down a LD block.

• 4 months later...

Well like Dan said. at first a N/A LD won't have that high of fuel needs. Not untill turbo. The stock pump might be able to be converted, or tune down the 5.9L cummins pump. I do like your idea Dan, building a perf diesel from a N42 block instead of spending about a year to track down a LD block.

Any updates on your attempt on a turbo LD28? Using a Cummins injection pump is a good idea, as it's a rotary pump similar to the Diesel Kiki pump that the engine runs factory. Being that it's not a common pump on engines that get turned up I wonder how much more fuel you can get out of one doing mechanical adjustments with the fuel screw and such. One other pump I thought about using would be the 84-86 Volvo 740 diesel as the car was factory turbocharged with a 2.4 VW diesel engine. At least you'd have the turbo/boost compensator already on the pump to take advantage of the turbo you'd install on the LD28 to do away with the non-turbo setup. Just another idea and it really just depends on how much extra fuel you could get out of those smaller VE rotary pumps seen on the VW and Nissan. Like I always like to say the diesel engine and turbocharger were born to be a combination!