HybridZ

2jz vs rb26

S30DEATHMACHINE

Heres the deal, I have a s30(240z) with no motor lol

Im stuck between a 2jz:twisted: and rb26:flamedevi, and im leaning more towards the 2jz cause its alot cheaper i think from all the research i have done. But the rb26 now thats one heck of a motor, the thing is both are well know for high bost hp.

the one thing that the 2jz has over the rb26 i can see is the price and it comes with a rwd 6sp tranny, and the rb26 comes with a awd tranny so you have to find one off a rb25 and ya, that sucks lol. i love both motors i wish i could put both in(maybe i can lol jk jk) but he thing is i would like to hear what others have to say about the motors and watnot. maybe to guide me to the right choice for say lol thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was contemplating a japanese I-6 swap, I'd look at one thing: hp/$. In that regard, I'd say the 2jz wins. First off, as you mention, it's going to be a fair bit cheaper to get started on the swap. Also, it was USDM, so finding parts and the like is going to be easy, *and* if it matters, it'll most likely be smoggable.

Things to consider.

1: cost. Is importing a motor that may only add 1-200cc's over the stock motor (subtract from available L28) worth the substantial wad of cash it's going to take to get it here

2: parts. How much will you drive it? Can you afford to wait for parts

3: Power potential, For all this work you're going to fab, is it worth the extra work over say an L28 et for whatever reason you chose?

4: Weight. A 240Z is a light car, is balance and total weight worth the weight of an engine that, depending on choice, may be quite heavy (I'm looking at you toyota).

I took all of these into account and did the only logical choice in my mind... I got a Mercedes.

...But in all seriousness, as much as it pains me to admit it, I'd say 2JZ simply due to it's availability as a USDM motor.

Getting parts for the RBs ais not a problem all. Many dealers are willing to get them and a number stock the parts. Many other sources are available as well.

As far as pricing goes......why not consider the RB25. All due respects to the RB26.....but the 25 is capable of pulling off huge horsepower as well, even with a stock bottom end....and is less coin. And it comes with the tranny!

Its also NISSAN!

Just another spin......good luck with your decision. Either way it will be a great ride.

Things to consider.

1: cost. Is importing a motor that may only add 1-200cc's over the stock motor (subtract from available L28) worth the substantial wad of cash it's going to take to get it here

I thought a RB26 was 2600ccs and a L28 was 2800ccs? I'm confused :hs:

...But in all seriousness, as much as it pains me to admit it, I'd say 2JZ simply due to it's availability as a USDM motor.

:shock: Who's on Bob's account, now??

Personally, I would not swap a motor that is not readily available in the states. 2JZs are everywhere, and if you get desperate you can even go get a N/A 2JZ out of a Lexus and swap internals like my roommate did for his Supra.

IT IS NOT...there are many hybrid NISSANs on Hybridz. It happens to be important to me.

Well I was looking at your z very nicely done too. But I now think my friend has no clue what he was talking about cause the rb25det was my first choice but he told me that the intake pipe wouldn't clear the hood but thanks to you, and your z I now know it will fit. But know I'm stuck between the 2jz(I'll leave mostly stock 300hp is plenty in that car) and the rb25(do minnor upgrades). So all togather just to get the car up and running I'm looking at about 15000 give or take and to finish how i want it roughly 30000 give or take

he told me that the intake pipe wouldn't clear the hood but thanks to you, and your z I now know it will fit.

I ran the stock cross-over as well as the pipe I made....lots of room under there. If you want the RB26 side manifold look you can get one for the RB25 for $5-600.

If all you want is 300whp.....it will take very little to squeeze that out of a stock RB25. .......and with careful budgeting $15K will go a long way to get the car running.!

Well.....How set are you on a 2JZ or RB2x? Because if all you want is a straight six, I think Mag58 can tell you about an engine that can either scream to 10k or be a torque monster, made almost 500whp on not that much boost with a bad tune (on a stock block), and can be had for not all that much $$... ;)

Over here in Australia the 2J's are still pretty expensive for a decent condition engine which makes the RB26/30 swap a much better option. Honestly considering its a 240z I like the idea of keeping it a nissan under the hood but you do have to look at the cost benifit.

As long as your not aiming for more than ~500rwhp I would say go for the 2JZ easy, once you start going over that you will need new pistons and rods just like the RB and then the costs fly up to the point either engine will cost loads. The only issue you will run into is needing to swap in a supra diff as the ratios are a bit funky when running on a more standard ratio rear end. The 2J has the capacity advantage, the internals for all intensive purposes are as good or better than the RB26 standard for standard and all you really need is injectors, single turbo kit, front mount etc etc and you will have an easy reliable 450rwhp+ for a fair bit less than using an RB26 given the prices you have quoted. Another consideration is where do you want the power and what kind of redline are you after, the RB26 has a 73.7 stroke and on standard rods bolts and pistons seems fine to rev to 8,000 on the standard internals valve springs considered. The 2JZ has a stroke of 86mm and while plenty short to rev to the same RPM I wouldn't really push a stock one past 7,500ish, built bottom end and the field levels out a lot between the two engines. I would assume both weigh around the same as both are similar size and construction.

I am planning to put together an RB26/30 once I get a hold of a 240, can pick up a full 3L engine for $300ish, just get the block checked and machined and there is a few hundred more and put some pauter rods and decent pistons in it with an RB26 head and a single turbo set up and your laughing for under the same price as buying a full standard RB26 in Australia.