HybridZ

z31 Suspension stuff

Delasangre4231

Both are used when lowering the car.

Bump steer spacers bring your front control arms and tension rods down a bit to correct their range of travel.

Anytime you lower a Z31 more than a half an inch or so it throws the rear camber off. This problem is usually corrected by slotting the trailing arms mounting points. I lowered mine jus over an inch and I definitely need to correct the negative camber in the rear. It wears out the inside of the tires way too fast.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, nobody has run into camber issues with the front wheels. This includes people running on lowering springs and coilovers. If the coilover people are having issues at least, none of them have said anything. There are decent priced front camber plates available for the Z31 if the need does arise.

Whats the deal with bump steer spacers and rear camber issues I keep hearing about? I have been able to guess that lowering springs mess with the rear camber but at what point do I need to fix it?

When it starts wearing out your rear tires too fast on the inboard side.

Nothing wrong with a little negative camber ;)

You should never have to worry about the fronts unless you have a mechanical problem or you slam it.

Is this a what if question or have you recently installed lowering springs?

I plan on lowering springs in the near future. The ones I am looking at only do 1" front and .5" rear so I think that I wont have to worry about it based on my research.

I plan to use the Z3R Stage 1 springs from Z31parts.com and Tokico Illumina 5-way's with full poly bushings and spring seats...

I plan on lowering springs in the near future. The ones I am looking at only do 1" front and .5" rear so I think that I wont have to worry about it based on my research.

I plan to use the Z3R Stage 1 springs from Z31parts.com and Tokico Illumina 5-way's with full poly bushings and spring seats...

Sounds like a plan. If you need any help with the bushings let me know and I'll try to drudge up the painful memories of replacing the steering, suspension, and bushings on my shiro. Unless you plan to track or autocross I don't think you really need the bump steer spacers. If you want to see a really cool adjustable rear camber setup look for Gary Molitor.

I think I should also be doing the outer tie rod ends? Is that easy?

The end result I'm looking for is a stock looking daily driver that is capable of very high performance at the same time. I think I have the perfect setup planned to give me a good balance!

Tie rods aren't that hard. Think about doing the balljoints to if you're trying to cover everything. I'm not sure that setup would be considered "very high performance" but it's more than adequate for a street car.

Go to http://z31.com/fiche/index.pl and put in 4 d 11 and click "get it" then compare that to the FSM sections FA and ST.