HybridZ

Dynoed my car today!

PurePontiacKid

Well, today was the annual dyno day in my club, and I couldn't resist putting my car up for a couple runs to see what my car is putting out since last year!

last year I put down 112.9whp and 145.42ft. lbs torque

This year I put down 130.39whp and 152.31ft. lbs torque!

Not bad considering I only have bolt-on upgrades, everything in the entire long block is stock, although the head was rebuilt to stock specs just before I got the car.

now for the obligatory dyno vids!

first run:

th_MOV03662.jpg

second run:

th_MOV03663.jpg

and here's how my engine looked (still looks the same :P ) the day of the dyno:

DSC03645.jpg

specs:

Clifford Research 6-2 header, with a nice 2-1 merge collector made by me :P (modified to fit my car)

2.5" exhaust with dual cherry bomb glasspacks (no cat here!)

N42 intake manifold, gasket matched on the runner end, ported for the KA throttle body on the other end, and then also shaved down (all done by me)

KA24 throttle body

Cressida AFM

cone air-filter

stock injectors

stock EFI

basically stock everything else :P (engine-wise)

That is great for a reference points at certian mod levels!

Thanks for sharing!

That's actually my exact reason for me posting this, and not going farther with my car. I wanted to have every "bolt-on" installed on my car, without having to go into the engine. (I almost bought a cam, but then actually decided against it just for this reason! lol)

upgrade your coil, and pull off that mech fan, youll be very surprized by the results. itll net you more than the rest of your mods.

I would agree that the removal of the fan will add power. The coil 'upgrade', hardly any power added other than perhaps a 'smoother' running engine.

For me and my L28, my biggest power adder was the exhaust system upgrade. (headers and a 2.5 inch exhaust with 2 mufflers) I did before and after dyno tests to prove it!

The throttle body you upgraded to would be adding some power.

I spent a bucket load on MSD coils and amp boxes (6BTM) with a 280zx dizzy. (No points!) Smoother, yes, more powerful?....hmmmmm not that I could tell!

Cheers. :)

shady, oz - does pulling the clutch fan off add much? If your fan clutch is working, shouldn't the fan be disengaged when not needed anyway? And when it is needed, your electric fan may be taking as much or more power than your mechanical fan, through the extra current draw.

I've been thinking about going electric, but not sure of the benefits.

shady, oz - does pulling the clutch fan off add much? If your fan clutch is working, shouldn't the fan be disengaged when not needed anyway? And when it is needed, your electric fan may be taking as much or more power than your mechanical fan, through the extra current draw.

I've been thinking about going electric, but not sure of the benefits.

You're actually right. The Tem-coupled fan that Nissan uses for the L series is quite efficient, and doesn't always draw a huge amount of power from the engine. During cooler weather, the fan will not operate too much at all, but as the seasons get hotter, the fan has to work harder and thus more engine power is consumed. Sure, there will be a greater current draw from a thermo or electric fan, but if your electrical system is in good order, ie battery and alternator, then all should be well with little noticable difference, if at all.

What do I have on my car? A Tem-coupled fan, as original. I like the stock arrangement and has never given me any reason to change it over. :) If I had a machine where every last drop of power was to be extracted, then sure I would replace the fan with an electric one. Just not for this vehicle, in this case.

The advantage of an electric fan is that it can be manually or thermostatically triggered. Or can be left on after a hard run to cool things down after the engine is switched off. Two things, don't forget to turn it on when in traffic and to turn it off when leaving the car for any time or the battery can go flat. A timer can be installed if necessary. It's all getting a little overcomplicated, unless that kind of thing is your thing. Your call.

Cheers.

i read once in hotrod magazine about fans and such. they did actual dyno runs with the same car with different fan combos. a static fan with no clutch uses 25hp!!! a fan clutch style uses about 10-15 depeding on clutch and electric of course was very minimal, about 2hp with alternator loads. i install a blaster 2 coil on most everything i have, it has a noticable seat of the pants feel, and great increase in fuel economy. i once installed one in a customers stock 82 280zx. he thought i had some sort of magic trick. i dont know, if the engine runs smoother, it has to be making more power. thus not being true for everything tho.

Well, I went to an electric fan yesterday, just for grins. Can't say as I notice a whole lot of difference. It's been in the 50s and 60s here, so the fan really isn't necessary most of the time anyway. When it kicks on at idle, the engine really feels it, there's a definite hiccup as the alternator adjusts to the new load. But, it does work, when it comes on it brings the temp down nicely.

Not much in the way of "seat-of-the-pants" difference, though.

Sorry to hijack your thread, PPK. Nice results, I want to get mine dynoed sometime soon - I have the same sort of setup, stock EFI but everything taken off that isn't absolutely essential.

Let's see if I can answer all the questions lol

My head block combo is stock early 280ZX, N47 head and N42 block with dished pistons.

I got my valve cover from a guy on zcar.com, it's the JDM version, and I painted it purple.

I've already got an upgraded coil on my car (MSD Blaster 3) because the stock one was dying. I think a stronger ignition system would have given me more power than anything else, but I didn't have a chance to get an MSD before the dyno day...

The fan clutch, meh, if it ain't broke don't fix it in my opinion, and my fan has always worked great at keeping my car cool, and I can't hear it when I rev the motor so it must be in pretty good condition.