HybridZ

Hood-air top mount intercooler/fabrication notes

DAW

I figured this was as good a forum as any for this: project to fabricate this set-up. Must include a custom hood, a custom intercooler, plumbing, and performance parameters (e.g., mount on cooler, right side of engine bay; or not).

First step is to have a look/see at the engine bay re intercooler positions. It would be cool to mount the intercooler in a separate stainless steel compartment to handle the cooling air flow. Maybe a fan will be included, one that will freewheel well at speed and maximize flow (when off).

DAW

Heat soak would be a big problem if the intercooler is mounted centrally over the engine, but I was thinking of locating it on the right side of the engine bay and isolating it.

On the other hand, maybe it doesn't make sense and I should stick with a FMIC.

DAW

FMIC seems to make sense on a Z since they have a long engine. There is plenty of room on the right side of the motor, but it's a long skinny space so the trick would be plumbing and getting an intercooler that would work in that space. I can visualize a big huge NACA duct and an outlet through the fender near the battery or something like that, but for all the hassle a FMIC sure seems easier.

without a hood scoop to draw in air, i doubt its going to help it cool if its set under the hood. now if it has scoops/duct in the front to guide on coming air through from under the intercooler out the top through the hood vents, that would make sense. you cannot go wrong with FMIC!

My subaru has TMIC factory, and heat soak is an issue at extended stop lights and the such. Alot of the STI guys use misters on the IC to drop the temps. That being said though, the subaru motor sits low and is designed to have the TB at the back of the motor. This design allows ample room for the TMIC, turbo and intake in small area, not having to work around the motor really.

The Z motor is long and sits high near the hood. The TB is at the front of the motor, you do have the option of top or bottom mounting the turbo. If you run a front mount with the inlet/outlet on the driver side your piping is pretty minimal with some modifications of the cross member. To do a top mount unless you move the TB I can't see you coming out ahead on cubic ft' of piping.

side thought, If you could reverse the intake putting the TB at the back of the car. Then you could do some very slick engineering and put the IC in the cowl panel and probably locate the intake around there too! That is a low pressure zone on the Z naturally so no additional scoops would be needed, maybe just run a tube to take the hot air down to the tranny tunnel or out the fender or something.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

FMIC does seem to work well and would be cheaper.

side thought, If you could reverse the intake putting the TB at the back of the car. Then you could do some very slick engineering and put the IC in the cowl panel and probably locate the intake around there too! That is a low pressure zone on the Z naturally so no additional scoops would be needed, maybe just run a tube to take the hot air down to the tranny tunnel or out the fender or something.

That's a great idea. I'd love to see someone do that just for the uniqueness of the setup.