HybridZ

280ZX Front Air Dam Mod?

ZBoost

Hello, Ive read these forums for quite some time now but this is my first actual post. I have a '79 280ZX that I just recently decided to to start working on.

I have been trying to get general idea of how I want the car to come together. My question is I really like the look of the Older Z with no bumper and the higher turn signals. I searched time and time again on this subject just could not seem to find it.

Is it possible even with fabrication of the older front air dams, to get that look on a ZX? I even looked at MSA site. They dont seem to have that wide open look. I even tried looking through photos to see if anyone has done it but so many people do so much it gets confusing lol.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Note - Hope this was the right thread for this.

Guest Rolling Parts

I doubt if you will get the same "open look" as a bumper-less early z because the front of the ZX hood is so much lower and a lot wider. Combined that with the different ZX headlight buckets and the integrated bumper and you just don't get the same lines at all. Grafting on an old style air dam won't match up at all.

There are a lot of good looking ZX's that go for more of the ZX racing history of wide flat airdams that actually look pretty good. Have a search & you might see some creative ideas...

Cool another ZX Houston member! You can modify any fiberglass front spoiler and MSA sells a variety. If you have never worked with fiberglass it is fun and fairly easy to get the look you want once you get the hang of it.

I am debating putting the front bumper back on my car.

373005607.jpg

Yasin

Thanks this will give me something to do at work. :)

Cool another ZX Houston member! You can modify any fiberglass front spoiler and MSA sells a variety. If you have never worked with fiberglass it is fun and fairly easy to get the look you want once you get the hang of it.

I am debating putting the front bumper back on my car.

Yah I use to work for car audio places for about 4 years. I started getting into fiberglass dash bezels and building trim stuff for radios and screens. Very fun stuff. Im hoping to build an entire dash possibly glass maybe sheet metal. :mrgreen:

Go Houston!

I removed the bumper before doing the bodywork to it, but I know what you mean, I kinda like the bumperless look with the air dam:

highfrontsmall.jpg

The side profile does look a little funky, though, with the headlight buckets sticking out further than the rest of the car:

sidesmall.jpg

maybe someone needs to get busy with some fiberglass and make a pair of plugs to fill the gap between the lower valance and the headlight buckets, while leaving the front gap open... Call them Sideburns or something :D

like this hideous MSPaint hack job of the previous nice car:

attachment.php?attachmentid=18790&stc=1&d=1259451484

373005607a_thumb.JPG

the problems mentioned in the links earlier mentioned floaty front, obviously from excess air being crammed into the engine bay and unable to get out in sufficient flow. Adding larger vents to the bonnet and some shark gills between the front wheel and the doors might solve that.