HybridZ

cam tower shim woes

curt76280

I just received my shims from Silverseal today part # HSDT1001 and I am very displeased to say the least. Three of the kits were rusted pretty bad and all of them had 1 shim for the first tower that was made of a different type of steel .allmost looks like galvanized and were .015 thick and 2,3,4 and 5 were .020.

I contacted Silverseal and they said they were going to find out what the deal was, and after having to call them back three times when they didn't call when they said they were going to, I was told they were looking through their remaining stock and that out of over 100 sets that all of them had the same discreprancies as mine.

I was told by a guy named Jeff that he would contact me tomorrow morning to let me know if they have any at their other plant that were of the same material and thickness.

I know I could use 4 of the .020 shims for 2,3,4,and 5 and use 5 of the .015 shims for the first tower but to me a .005 difference is not acceptable ,correct me if I am wrong but I am very picky when it comes to tolerances.

I know I could use 4 of the .020 shims for 2,3,4,and 5 and use 5 of the .015 shims for the first tower but to me a .005 difference is not acceptable ,correct me if I am wrong but I am very picky when it comes to tolerances.

I doubt you would be able to even spin the cam by hand with that discrepancy. I'd also be concerned with stacking 4 shims under something that is relatively tall and narrow like the cam towers. FWIW, I went the kameri route for shims when I shaved my P90 head. I hated to pay as much as they wanted for what was essentially 5 pieces of metal (each shim is .080" thick so no stacking), but in the bigger picture I figured I didn't have a better option.

You might want to consider just sending the silverseal stuff back and ordering the Kameri.

I used some 20thou shim stock and cut my own, using the original shims I had as templates. I belive that somewhere around here on the internet, someone had CAD drawings of the shims, for having the thicker shims CNC'ed from sheet stainless.

No Tony it isn't that I couldn't make a shim to compensate,I just wanted to contact Silverseal first to see if they may have had a problem with more of their product,which it turns out they do .

I spoke with Jeff again today and he only found one set that all measure .015 and he is sending it and 3 more sets to cover the rusted ones,I told him I could use three .020 and one .015 on 2,3,4 and 5 and 5 of the .015 on the number one tower .

He said that the supplier of the steel used for these shim sets had been changed and this is why there was an issue,he also told me that the shims were actually machined by Silverseal at their plant,sort of odd they didnt catch this in Quality control procedures.

I can live with .075 all the way across the board.I just wanted to let others know also of the situation with these shim sets.

I have seen people (as others have mentioned) machine the thick spacers like that out of single thicknees material. Some shims laser or water jet cut out of 1/8" steel could be percision ground on a surface grinder with a magnetic chuck pretty nicely...

And we got a guy with a Water Jet machine on the board...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... This gives me an idea...

Too late. I beat you too it.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=156711

I'm cheaper than Kameari and MSA but I might be a little high on the pricing compared to silverseal.

I just put a set on my P90 and the cam spun like buttah.

Derek

I have seen people (as others have mentioned) machine the thick spacers like that out of single thicknees material. Some shims laser or water jet cut out of 1/8" steel could be percision ground on a surface grinder with a magnetic chuck pretty nicely...

And we got a guy with a Water Jet machine on the board...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... This gives me an idea...