HybridZ

CWC CAM Question (shape of billet)

Tony D

Call up MSA or Schneider, and ask. They use CWC cores.

At $3 for every 30 seconds on the phone, I think right now, that is not an option...

NTT is not cheap to call mobile to landline.

And I'll be jiggered if any of them are there over the Thanksgiving weeked.

I'm just going to take it as stated, they have 'lugs' like the stock Datsun stuff, and the 'hex' is an independent billet produced in Japan.

The inquiring will now start. Okamura will be busy on the phone asking 'technical questions'---I can see it!

Yep, the hex is Japan-Produced Billet. Just found one with 16.2mm lift (0.640") Pretty radical grind...I think I'll pass. Seeing if they can get me something in the 74-75 "Degree" rating for Japan. I'll keep my Japan Ported Head 'all Japan' I guess. If the guy can get what I want before I leave. It's hard to convey 'unground' to them. Or to my translator! I just need to find the source of the billet. If I can find that, me and Ron Iskendarian will have to talk...

Hey Tony, that 16.2mm (.640") lift cam, whats the duration on that? Is it ground ready to go or is it a blank profile? Im interested in it, as its about the lift i am looking for (maybe a touch more than i wanted being .620" - .630", but very close)!

What was the price on that cam & would you be willing to help me out, if its the cam im looking for? :)

As for the handling square lugs, my L4 cams all have those, even my factory billet race cam. Cant remember if my L6 cams do, they are in another shed (dads) so i cant check them easily either.

Schneider has HEX????

I was told by the Schneider guys they use CWC blanks...

My original statement was off the top of my head. Tho I am fairly certain that My Schneider cam has a "Hex" style hold. Its about the size of a #21 wrench. I do have them in storage and can drag them out this weekend if you would like.

Hmmmm...I'd be down for two unground billets if you can get them, Tony. Let me know the cost and if you accept paypal. (I cover the fees.)

I think, if tony can find unground cores, that Isky (or someone) may have good cams available in all grinds again soon...........

Alas, I was summarily dropped at an inconvienient hotel, and was not able to follow up on the final purchase.

I likely will need to be back to Japan now on a quarterly basis for the time being, so my hopes are high I will eventually get the 'free time' to follow this up.

As for now, I'm in Malaysia. No cam billets there...

Sorry, I'll check back in a month or so. These things take time.

Inflato-Sheep is on the prowl.

In Japan, she was neatly placed atop the pillow each day when I returned back to the room.

I have not deployed the housekeeper torture apparatus here in Johor yet. I should go to the lingere shop at the Holiday Shopping Center and get some small nighty or undergarments for it to leave strewn about as well...

• 2 months later...

Yep, the hex is Japan-Produced Billet. Just found one with 16.2mm lift (0.640") Pretty radical grind...I think I'll pass. Seeing if they can get me something in the 74-75 "Degree" rating for Japan. I'll keep my Japan Ported Head 'all Japan' I guess. If the guy can get what I want before I leave. It's hard to convey 'unground' to them. Or to my translator! I just need to find the source of the billet. If I can find that, me and Ron Iskendarian will have to talk...

Any update on this....I am fast running out of stock cams to send to Ron for re-grindingcool.gif

How coincidental, I have just arrived at the following coordinates and will have 2 days free before work commences:

35 16.301N

136 15.970E

I was supposed to be here for three+ weeks, but things changed and I will only be here for a week this trip, but will have to come back in Late April (er... after MSA, gomen nasi!) :D

Yes, the key is to see if I can source where Kameari gets their billets, or see if they will sell uncut/unground billets.

This is my mission...

Edited by Tony D