HybridZ

l28 blocks

soullessjdog

yep, nope.

block differences. What head is on it doesn't tell you anything reliably. I have seen E31's on N42's. Does that mean I have a P30 block? Not bloddy well likely when I can see the casting number is N42!

husker du?

If you're worried about it, you could just walk around to the other side of the car... :icon45:

And with that arguement, the casting number on the block doesn't reliably tell you about the internals either. I plan on putting my P90A on my Flat Top F54, most would assume it would have dished pistons in that case. [if they didn't notice that the knock sensor bung wasn't tapped, and they were erroneously going by the "head method" :)]

Yeah, forgot about the oil filter casting thing. But I got one right!! haha

The oil filter boss is interesting, as i have seen three types. My 1975 N42 has a three-point pattern cast in for the oil cooler. The bosses are not drilled or tapped, but they are present. I guess the F54 block has a four-point pattern?

Good question. :)

Out of the three L28 engines I have, they're all N42. So I can't chime in. :( All that I can say is that even the N42's are cast differently on the spark plug side, depending on production runs/age I guess.

My 'early' N42 has no square boss at all where the oil filter goes, the other two do. And the ones that have the square boss are all drilled and tapped and have four holes.

On the pass. side at the top pf the n42 block there is a raised section with one line in it from top to bottom that lines up between #5 and #6 cylinder and on the f54 there is a second one that lines up in the center of #5 cylinder.

nope... I don't know what you're talking about there, but it's not on 'all' of them since I have a photo of each, and I can't see anything like what you are talking about.

Let's keep this between 'left and right' and not 'passenger and driver' side. Or Oil Filter/Sparkplug side, and Intake/Exhaust side.

Those last two and the first one doesn't change. Driver and Passenger is not consistent worldwide.

The items I'm discussing are universal to all blocks of N42 and F54 persuasion. Obvious items... Three of them. One has been hit thusfar...

The oil filter boss is interesting, as i have seen three types. My 1975 N42 has a three-point pattern cast in for the oil cooler. The bosses are not drilled or tapped, but they are present. I guess the F54 block has a four-point pattern?

There is number TWO...

Oil Filter Bosswith four bosses, knock sensor...

/Jeopardy Music/

And the last distinctive F54 external difference?

freeze plugs (more)

Nope! You are thinking about the L24 P30 (early) block and the L28 N42 and F54 . The early blocks have 3 CORE plugs-on between each pair of cylinders, whereas both the L28 Blocks have five (I think...) one between each cylinder.

I'm asking about the right side (the easy one to see) between F54 and N42...

zparts2011.jpgzparts2012.jpg

And the oil filter boss on the n42 is round, where the f54 is in the shape of a cross around the outside of the casting.

Sorry for the pass. side, drivers side confusion but the oil filter boss and the section at the right hand top of the block was what I noticed in my original posts ,I cant see my n42 as well as the f54 the n42 is still in the car.

I will take some pictures of the raised section on the right hand side of the block of my 2 engines,curious to see how many have this, and if it is only on blocks that are stateside.I have seen 3 n42 blocks so far with the raised section as I described and 2 f54.

It is on the right side of the block at the top and to the left of the two bolt holes that hold the hoses that go to the heater core.

To give it all, and you will all go out and look now...

The F54 has the Detonation Sensor Hole, The Oil Filter bolt-on provision (some P30's also have this, but we're talking about L28 Blocks---specifically the N42 and F54...)

And............

(Drumroll Please)

A little hole/bolting divot on the right side 'ear' which is normally underneath the starter.

Looking at blocks on a pile, you can pick out the F54 from quite a distance by looking at that 'horn' for the hole/depression. When you see it, you will go "oh...yeah..."

Watch!