HybridZ

Vacaville Velo Rossa

Haven't made a final decision on the exterior, but I'm leaning (at the moment) toward something like this Cobra.

post-4015-060041000 1352260247_thumb.jpg

As for the interior, I've ordered seat covers in black with tan inserts like this...

post-4015-066124100 1352260345_thumb.jpg

Gonna try a local guy to make custom door panel covers to match.

I'm also considering having the center console and vent surround hydro-dipped to look like burl wood, like these helmets.

post-4015-063738200 1352260692_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Don't need an ashtray... but who can go anywhere without cup holders?

post-4015-015029700 1296333849_thumb.jpg

The interior is coming back together nicely.

post-4015-049337200 1296333876_thumb.jpg

Well done! I'm about to prep my own console for a double-din install. I've never 'glassed' before but have been assiduously studying the technique. Thus, I have a few questions about your console process:

- Photo 2: Did you use blue painters tape to create a basic template to create the form?

- Photo 3: What type of material are you placing over the tape?

- Photo 6: It appears that you're going over the glass with some bondo? Is this to remove any imperfections that may have formed from the glass?

- What type of paint are you using? I'd like to use something that provides a slight texture to the finished console. Any suggestions?

- In later updates to your build I noticed that you installed the aluminum frame for the stereo. Can this simply be screwed into the fiberglass?

Sorry for all the questions! :rolleyes:

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Hi All!!

I have not been able to login under the Fauxre screen name since the site went down last week. Attempting to login under the old account deposits corrupting cookies on my computer that completely blocks my access to HybridZ. Until the administrators can fix it, I'll be posting as DeputyDog1428.

Well done! I'm about to prep my own console for a double-din install. I've never 'glassed' before but have been assiduously studying the technique. Thus, I have a few questions about your console process:

- Photo 2: Did you use blue painters tape to create a basic template to create the form?

- Photo 3: What type of material are you placing over the tape?

- Photo 6: It appears that you're going over the glass with some bondo? Is this to remove any imperfections that may have formed from the glass?

- What type of paint are you using? I'd like to use something that provides a slight texture to the finished console. Any suggestions?

- In later updates to your build I noticed that you installed the aluminum frame for the stereo. Can this simply be screwed into the fiberglass?

Sorry for all the questions! :rolleyes:

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Gravityflyer...thanks for the support... and no need to apologize for asking questions. That's what this is all about.

1. The blue painters tape in #2 was just to visualize the shape of the final piece. It was all removed before glassing.

2. In #3, I've already glassed the panel for the stereo. I cut cardboard to fit. I mounted it on the front side like in this pic.

post-34794-0-72286900-1353253187_thumb.jpg

I wrapped the cardboard in aluminum foil to act as a release agent, then laid down 4-5 layers of fiberglass matte to get a good thick panel.

post-34794-0-67727700-1353253747_thumb.jpg

The middle gray area is sheet metal bent to shape and taped to the underside. I waxed it heavily so it would pop off easily after glassing. In #4 I ran a continuous sheet of glass cloth down the center to prevent cracks from forming in the final finish. FAIL!

3. That is light weight body filler in #5 and #6. And I did use it to get a nice smooth finish. Unfortunately, I did not wrap the underlying glass cloth around the whole piece. Cracks have developed where the black plastic meets the glass/filler. I had originally planned on covering the console in material, so I wasn't too concerned. But now that I'm considering hydro printing, I'll need to wrap the whole console in glass matte and sand it all down, like I did on the dash.

4. The paint you see is just automotive primer.

This thread has a technique for finishing the dash. It didn't work for me, but you might have better success.

http://forums.hybrid...ir-alternative/

5. The stereo mounting frame came with the stereo. It secures itself in the hole with tabs on the back side that you bend against the mounting surface. No screws required.

I took a look at your new build. As a dad I found the back story heartwarming. Looks like you're off to a great start and have a good place to work on it. I'll be watching for more progress.

Regards,

Wes

OK... this may be my last post here. After only one day, my new account, DeputyDog1428 is already acting like the old Fauxre account. Nothing but a blank screen when I try to log in. After deleting the cache and all cookies, I can view, but not interact with the forums. I've sent a couple of emails to the support team, but no response yet.

I appreciate all the effort it must take to keep this forum up and running. And by no means am I blaming the administrators here for my problem. I just don't have the computer savvy to know if the problem is on my computer or the website, and I can't keep creating new accounts indefinitely. :windows:

I'll keep posting under VacaVr until I'm locked out again. If that happens, any one wanting future updates can PM me with any of my screen names (I seem to still get notifications) or contact me directly at any of these email addresses:

fauxre@comcast.net

fauxre@gmail.com

fauxre@yahoo.com

I have build threads on several other sites. I don't know if it's appropriate to list them here, so just email me if you're interested.

Hey Wes, I don't know how I never saw this thread, but great work! I'm also in Vacaville and though I don't really have a whole lot of time to actually help with much I'd love to come check out the car sometime.

Keep up the great work!

Hi Gollum! Happy to hear there are other, what are we, Vacavillians? on the forum. PM or email me for contact info... love to see your project as well. I'm actually retired, so I could probably spare some time to help... that is if you need some old, non-tech, unskilled labor. :icon56::icon46:

No real progress. But while I'm waiting for the skins to arrive I decided to tidy-up some things in the interior. I bolted the seats in with the new foams (and one seat belt) just to get a visual, rerouted the wiring harness on the passenger side to hide underneath the reinforcement rails and started making cardboard patterns for the kick panels.

seatsrin

Edited by VacaVR

Between the metal seat parts and the upholstery are these plastic wear protecters. Mine are pretty discolored and stained, so I cut new ones.

post-34881-0-10862800-1354234375_thumb.jpg post-34881-0-09379300-1354234376_thumb.jpg

I fretted for quite a while not knowing where to get a sheet of clear plastic material. "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car" calls this sheet acetate. I wasn't sure exactly what acetate was, so I did a little web surfing. Turns out it just means plastic.

After checking the local hardware and fabric stores, without success, I resigned myself to taking the 35 mile drive to the closest Tap Plastics store.

But, while procrastinating I had an epiphany. The clear protecter on my desk at work is almost exactly the same thickness and has the same flexibility. $10 at the Staples two miles away. They cut out easily with scissors.

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"
(must be sung for proper effect.)
post-34881-0-07862600-1354663892_thumb.jpg
This is my wifes' way of telling me it's once again, time to decorate for the holidays.

The new seat skins arrived yesterday.  They look fantastic, but alas, the butt warmers were shipped separately and are still on route. If I finish my decorating chores today, maybe I can do a little test fitting.  :blush:

Allright!!!!  Got my old screen name working again.

Still waiting for the butt warmers, but the test fit looks good.  I may need to add a thin layer of foam in order to get a smooth transition from the new seat padding to the metal seat backs.

Well, it's not perfect, but I'm happy with my first attempt at covering the seats.  It took me most of the day to install the butt warmers and seat covers.

It's a cold rainy day in Norcal, so my cheap heat gun came in real handy when it came time to stretch the synthetic leather.  I wasn't able to get all the wrinkles out, but I'm pleased with the overall appearance.

post-4015-0-95790000-1355627234_thumb.jpg

Seats are installed.

post-4015-0-22446200-1355795973_thumb.jpg   post-4015-0-67692600-1355795971_thumb.jpg

With the new foam and upholstery, the driving position is higher.  The steering wheel and shift lever are now uncomfortably positioned. But at least now I can work from the actual sitting position in order to get the ergonomics correct.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Ryan.

Not much to update lately.  Fixed a small oil leak, added a radiator reserve bottle and adjusted the parking brake... nothing earth shattering.

I had decided to wait for the winter weather to pass through before starting the registration process.  Fewer rainy days to worry about once my 90 day temporary operation period starts.  Wouldn't you know, it's been beautiful here for weeks.  So today I purchased my title bond online. It'll be here in a couple days, then I can head to DMV...  and I just found out that rain is in the forecast for the next three days.  :redface: Typical!!

• 5 weeks later...

More baby steps.

Made some panels from thin hardboard to cover the reinforcing steel running from the door sills to shock towers.  Covered them and the rest of the compartment, behind the seats, with some cheap beige carpet.  My seam work is bad, and the color is wrong, but I can live with it temporarily.  It sure cleans up the interior.

post-4015-0-88136100-1365121391_thumb.jpg

I also added a couple of bullet style side mirrors for that '60s look.  Combined with the windshield wipers, they make the VR look less like a "kit"...  and more like a factory car.

post-4015-0-76259300-1365121393_thumb.jpgpost-4015-0-85332200-1365121392_thumb.jpg