HybridZ

Need Motorcycle advice

zero

Its hard to explain and most people dont believe me or my friends when we tell them that a SM is faster in the tight twistes then any sport bike and average rider. But when they ride with us they become believers. We have had guys get pissed off at us and never ride with us again, others give us dirty looks. But the ones that know give us props. Im not bragging Im a average rider nothing special. Me and my friends have had 600,750, and 1000cc bikes struggle to keep us in sight and I had one guy go down trying to keep up. But once there is a straight away and freeway we are Toast! That being said Im selling my SM and getting a more freeway friendly bike and one that still retains some upright SM style handling.

..... Here is a picture of a Yamaha R6 converted to naked. BTW, I used to own an R6 and they are badass! I put about 10K on mine and never had a problem. Then I had to sell it :(

This pic is not mine, I just found it on the net.

100_2987.jpg

BTW, This is an R1.

The reasonable advice to a person who is relatively new and inexperienced at riding motorcycles is not to show pictures of cool naked bikes that have way more power than an inexperienced rider needs...

You will drop your first motorcycle quite a few times, you will probably drop your second motorcycle a couple of times. What you need is a motorcycle that will teach you to respect the danger of riding, rather than a motorcycle that will basically shoot you in the face when you make a mistake.

But hey, Ive only been riding for 10 years, what the hell do I know?

Safety last. "Geewhiz thats cool" is much more important... right?

Joe

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21730289/Manual-Suzuki-GS750

Go get the bike you already own. Register it, rebuild the carbs, buy a few tuning tools, check your voltage regulator, rectifier, and alternator.

http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_links.htm

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/index.php

You got the bike for pennies. Put some time and a little money into it. Put the money you were going to spend on a new(er) bike into savings or investments or saftey gear. Dont neglect the braking system or the tires.

This way you will learn a lot, and have the satisfaction of riding around a bike you resurrected. And if you drop it you wont be damaging a 5-10k bike.

Joe

I'll chime in since you mentioned the Monster. I've got a 2000 (750cc). Like it way more than the newer model actually. Its definitely a bike I'll be taking to my grave (or vise versa..). The low end torque, upright riding, and overall naked look and feel had me sold the first time I saw it. This is my third bike, the first was a suzuki katana (really heavy sport "touring" bike) and a Honda Shadow cruiser.

The Monster works so well in metropolitan areas and out in the countryside. But I rarely go over 70 mph so if you want crazy speed look elsewhere. I have to shift 3x to get to 70 whereas my friend on his R1 can wrap his motor out to 14k rpm in first gear to get to the same speed.

Having that said. I wouldn't* look at the Monster if you're that tall. I'm only 5' 10" and it fits me like a glove. Your knees would be awfully bent if you were over 6ft tall. Sorry!

Went to the Intl motorcycle show yesterday in Long Beach, Ca. Not as big as last year but still a good time. My girlfriend got me and friend in free with press passes that was nice.

Like Zatsun said the Ducati Monster was a little cramped for my being 6'4". But Ducati has a new 796 Hypermotard that fits well. But still to pricey for me. Got to see the Ducati stunt team on Monsters that was cool and sounded awesome.

The main reason I wanted to go to the show was to get a demo ride on a Kawi Versys. Probably a bad idea with 12 stitches in my right hand but oh well. The 3 of us got to the show at 10 and all the rides were already taken for the whole day, Damn! But my girlfriend worked her magic with the press passes. She got me and my friend a private ride with one of the Kawi instructors. It was just us two not the large groups of 10 like everyone else. My friend rode a Ninja 650R and I rode a Versys. We got to go on a 30 min ride thru Long Beach and Terminal Island and this guy was getting with it! I guess he thought we were test riders for a magazine. Haha. Anyway the Versys was awesome I will be buying one for sure.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21730289/Manual-Suzuki-GS750

Go get the bike you already own. Register it, rebuild the carbs, buy a few tuning tools, check your voltage regulator, rectifier, and alternator.

Joe

I think your right, and thank's everyone for all the advice. I think I'll get the GS running well, ride it for a year or two and then get the bike I want later.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the thing from Princeton NJ down to VA without spending a fortune. At this point, unless I make a friend in the next couple of days who has a pickup, my only option is to rent a u-haul at a around 250 bucks before gas. Anyone in the NJ-VA area want to lend me a pickup? haha

I think your right, and thank's everyone for all the advice. I think I'll get the GS running well, ride it for a year or two and then get the bike I want later.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the thing from Princeton NJ down to VA without spending a fortune. At this point, unless I make a friend in the next couple of days who has a pickup, my only option is to rent a u-haul at a around 250 bucks before gas. Anyone in the NJ-VA area want to lend me a pickup? haha

Don't tell them you're hauling a motorcycle.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I just wanted to give an update on my motorcycle situation. The decision was made for me. My GS was towed by neighbors who thought it was abandoned(I moved to VA and didn't have a plate on it because it seemed silly to insure a bike I couldn't ride during the winter). The tow company is now jerking me around. First they told me, and the guy who called them, the they don't have the bike, don't tow bikes, or don't tow in my town... all of which are lies. They didn't register the tow with the police, and it seems that someone just planned on keeping it. That said I called the police and after a half an hour on the phone with them, an officer found the bike, at the company's auxiliary yard. They now want to charge me more than I paid for the bike in storage fees.... I am working with the police to sort this out, but in the mean time.

I bought an SV!

I found an 01 SV650 for 2600 with 6,000 miles. It looks good minus a small crack in the fairing, which I planned to remove anyway. It started right up after having sat for some time(I met the owner after work and beat him to his place) and it rode around great. I put a deposit down and he is delivering the bike today. I will do the MSF license course this weekend then I am good to go. Thanks for all your help guys.