HybridZ

WREAKED my 280z turbo!

I`ll be picking up the rad/support this week. I want to specially thank 1NONLYZ for supplying the part. The man is the go to guy for any Z parts. GREAT GUY ! I would HIGHLY recommend him for all your Z car needs. Also would like to thank PHARAOHQ and HYBRIDZ for making it possible and keeping my turboZ alive.

CIMG6452.jpg

Er that's PharaohABQ, but thanks a bunch for the mention. Your car is coming back together so well, it's an inspiration to us all. Yeah 1NONLYZ is a good guy to get parts from.

Could you tell us a little about your new radiator/intercooler? it looks shiney! Are you going back to the late 70's bumper, or are you thinking about the bumper conversion? I mean, living through a crash like that I would be tempted to go with the stock park benches.

Thanks!

PharaohABQ

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, My turboZ will be going bumper-less.Just to make sure all was squared off in the front,i reinstalled every part on the front-end.I honestly think if i had the bumper on there would have been damage on both side of the support rail instead of one. The intercooler is from a NPR ISUZU truck. For now i`m using a 280zx radiator until i find an aluminum one.Once again thanks, PharaohABQ for the tip.

• 4 months later...

Oh No! I think i really screwed up.I was having problems with the timing,since the major hit was on the crank damper. I got the electromotve triger wheel on the 11th tooth,also put the damper on the 0 mark. The car started up fine a few weeks ago but, this weekend it started to backfire like crazy. Every time i would get it started and give gas it would hesitate, backfire and shut off. I knew the problem was with the timing and i kept up at it (stupid me!). I then took of the spark plug to check if piston #1 was up and realized oil all over the plug. Not only on the first plug but also on the others. I then went ahead to check the crank damper and this is what i found:

CIMG5178.jpg

The damn thing was crack and throwing off the timing. Now i`m really afraid of the extend of what the backfiring may have cause. Are the rings gone or is it the valves? I also would like anyone here to identify my crack crank pulley. Is it a regular turbo crank or the European turbo crank? Thankz!

CIMG5180.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I`ve gotten another damper on and got the car on timing. There`s no more backfiring which is good. But, oil is still fouling the spark plug. Can i assume the damage are the valve seals and guides? If so, what other things can i do since the head would be coming off? How hard would this task be? What parts do you all recommend and where do i buy them? The car does`nt sound so good since the sparks are wet.Oh well, here`s

a little video of my 280zTURBO: THE ZETTO-BASTARD!

Edited by PR280z

Oh man, that's rough, but before you pull the engine, try checking your compression. With the new damper on there and timed right, how does it run? Wet plugs do not necessarilly mean oil, especially when the timing's been off. Could just be excess unburned gas.

If your timing was messed up a bit it could have sucked up some oil, but if you have good compression then you may not have bent a valve. it depends a lot one how far off the timing was. The Engine has a timing chain that should have kept the valves and pistons timed apart correctly. The damper is just that a damper to eliminate vibration. A compression check will tell you what condition the engine itself is in. if a cylinder is particularly low then you may be looking at a refresh. if not, you may have just popped a valve seal. but it'll tell you where to look. As for replacements, there's a thread on here about L28 valve seals and replacing them with Ford Viton seals that work much better with unleaded gas as is available now. It's unlikely you harmed the rings at all, but we've seen stranger things. Again a compression check will tell the tale. Once you get the compression #'s you can pull the valve cover and check the physical timing marks on the cam, with the crank at TDC. You'll then be able to see if any of your seals are torn. The valves you'll have to pull the head for, but if you're going to do that, you might as well pull the whole thing and do the complete refresh with rings and bearings et-al.

Just trying to save you some work.

Phar

Phar,thanks for the advice.I`ll see if i can get a compression gauge and take it from there.I hope it`s not for the worst,cause i sure know a engine rebuild will require some $$$$$ that i`m short of right now.Can the seals be done without the removal of the head?Will post the outcome.By the way I did find the post about the ford viton seals, thanks to the old search button. Once again PHAR,thankz for the reply.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all for the reply's. As i was working on the home owners damage, i decided to do a recap of what & why causes. # one my brakes. I have toyota 4 piston up front and zx disc rear. About a week ago one of my rear calipers had a nasty leak. I took the whole caliper off a zx parts car i had laying around the house and installed it to the turboZ. But the one thing i did`nt do was bleed each and every brake to let out any trap air. The car had breakes but my foot was nearly to the floor.Plus another factor that was against me was the gravel on the road. Thank God we came out of this OK. Could have been a lot worse. One of the 8`x5`fence with an arrow point tip could have gone up in the air and into the windshield, and a car could have been Xing the intersection.Let me just stop there, so many thing could have happen. If anyone has what i may need or can help in where to find them ,please let me know. thanks.

Dude - putting on a new caliper, not bleeding the system correctly and putting your son in a car with hardly any brake pedal? What the hell were you thinking! Totally irresponsible!!! You could have killed yourself or some other innocent bystander... Total knucklehead move bud!

You`re right,Shame on this total idiot! That`s why i`m going to be going for the Wilwood brake upgrade.By the way where in tampa are you from? I have some family out in Lutz,cheval division in tampa,which i visit every year. Do you also know jim(Zmecca) in lutz?

You`re right,Shame on this total idiot! That`s why i`m going to be going for the Wilwood brake upgrade.By the way where in tampa are you from? I have some family out in Lutz,cheval division in tampa,which i visit every year. Do you also know jim(Zmecca) in lutz?

Yes I know Jimbo real well! When you're in town again look us up!

I visited Jim this past June. Went by his place around 3X. I later found out he was out at the Z convention that weekend. If i only would have known earlier about the Z convention, i would have gone there instead of driving up north to visit Wash/DC. Will keep in touch.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...