HybridZ

Captn cut in....we are ready for paint!

tightywhitey185

So after about a year and three months i finally got my Z painted.I tell you it was an awful lot of work getting this body ready for this.Just a quick recap here.I replaced all the floor steel with pans from Zedd findings wich i was very happy with.painted with POR15.Spent weeks scraping all the old crap off the bottom to fix the rust and spots under the batt tray.Respray bottom with 3M body shutz.All new urithane suspension bushings new struts ball joints wheel bearings front and rear.New joints in the cvs and repainted all suspension peices with black POR15.Started the body and did all my filler work with Rage filler from evercoat.I like that filler the best.After all the major filling was complete i sprayed the entire body with Slicksand plyester filler from evercoat.I blocked that down with 180 and skimmed a couple little spots with some skim filler.I prefer 3M piranha putty.Then primed the entire body again with a good 2k primer from sherwin williams.Blocked that with 320 grit and now was ready for paint!The reason im using sherwin williams ultra 7000 on this projectis becuase our paint rep for our body shop gave me the whole gallon of color for this project for free!I just had to buy all the other materials from sherwin haha.anybody who paints nows red is expensive!Even with that gallon for free ive got about 800 in materials.In my photos in the paint booth i go from primer to sealer to finished product.The clear on this car is sherwin williams CC950 performance plusclearcoat with 3 coats of clear on it.I used an iwata lp300h lvlp to spray sealer base and clear.I had never sprayed this product before and im actually very impressed!

065_thumb.jpg

073_thumb.jpg

245_thumb.jpg

250_thumb.jpg

253_thumb.jpg

260_thumb.jpg

244_thumb.jpg

259_thumb.jpg

Well after 320 i sprayed a coat of sealer over it.If you look in oneof the photos you will see a shiny coat of grey.That will cover those 320 scratches just fine then sprayed on some color!basically sealer is primer that has been reduced and is sprayed right befor color to cover small sand scratches and sand throughs that are bare metal.

Some more crap here.....im a lil shy to show this photo but this is just how it was.I had to do a crap load of fill work on the left rocker and i pulled it out of the garage and it just look concave as hell!I was pissed so i took my big grinder and wailed that rocker down to bare steel to so if there were holes filled with mud but was glad to see it was all steel.It just looked like someone just beat the hell out of it with a sledge hammer!So instead of just filling it with mud like duraglass or something stupid i used a product by USC called all metal.Its actually metal filler.cheese grated it off with 36 grit and skimmed with paranha and mad it straight!!

069_thumb.jpg

255_thumb.jpg

256_thumb.jpg

Here real soon when i get a good morning of spare time I will start a proper build thread.I have lots of photos of this car thru this process.I tel you what folks this car was a real PILE when I bought it!

Lets see some before pictures then! Those are the best kind.

"Before pictures" of Z cars are just empty canvases in our eyes......with rust holes.

Great paint job. I enjoyed watching my son do the paint and body work on his 77 280Z in the high school body shop. He did a beautiful job of shaving drip rails and door handles. Molding the MSA type II body kit into the body, then after two years paint. He had Sikkens donate over $4000 in paint and supplies to his project. The car is painted Dodge Viper yellow, and blindingly bright.

The problem now is he didn't think to hard about how much money it would take to put the car back together. His car is still blown apart with this beautiful paint job going to waste sitting on jack stands for two years now.

Keep your focus on the completed picture. You'll have a ride you'll remember for the rest of your life. I hope you enjoy it.