HybridZ

VQ30det

rat_ranger

Ok, I am deployed right now, but when I get home I have a 240Z waiting and a VQ30det. now for the engine I am going to get nistune, I already have a BOV, boost controller, turbo timer, 50mm synchronic wastegate, turbonetics t04e 50trim, and a exedy clutch/flywheel, and a 350Z 6speed. now, my question is on the fuel system.

My goal is 450 or so at the wheels. I know the bosch 044 pump will support this and I will need 750cc or so injectors, but what is a good line size? does anyone know i the factory fuel rails are up to it or if they need to get upgraded? if they are good enough what fittings are needed to hook -8AN fittings to the fuel rail? what is a good size for the return line?

I plan on running a summit 16gal sumped fuel cell where the spare tire is supposed to go. I want to run hard lines from thepump to the firewall. I want this to support my goal safely and be able to possibly upgrade later as I get more chance to goto track days.

Thanks everyone.

With your sort of power goal I used 3/8" supply line, 5/16" return to a swirl pot fed by a pickup pump from the stock tank but that should make no difference. Injectors on mine are 550cc, a bit bigger would be OK.

VQ30DET should be nice, mine has a VG30DET.

Its gonna be a while till any work gets done to it. Im over in iraq right now and just planning the build. so far the build sheet will look nice. I cant decide on a few things yet, like roll cage, prefab or custom. brakes, suspension, wheels/tires. but some of that can wait till I get back and actually start the build, but I am open to suggestions.

the engine is a 1996 VQ30DET from a y33 cima

turbonetics t04e 50trim turbo

350z 6speed with a shorth throw

lightened flywheel

greddy turbo timer

HDi boost controller

nistune

HKS SSQV v3

synchronic 50mm wastegate

5 lug conversion parts

APR GTC300 spoiler

and things I still need to order,

FMIC

750cc injectors(either side feed or make custom rails and run top feed, not sure)

bosch 044 fuel pump

1/2in feed 3/8 return line

sump for the tank

brakes?

shocks?

coilovers?

airdamn?

seats?

guages?

roll cage?

img0041jp.th.jpg

img0037lr.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, you guys get to enjoy my horrible drawings. Its my ideas for how I would like the body to look when it is fully done. I know there are issues I will need to look at and decide how I really want to do it when I have te car in my hands but here goes:

sidex.th.jpg

Ok, side view, on the door it is supposed to be where the widened fenders blend in and the shaded spot is going to be a brake duct. in front of the door will be a gap to vent air from the fender area, the wing is an approximation of the APR GTC300 mounted 12in off the deck.

topz.th.jpg

top view, you can see the radiator vent in the hood, th louvers above the wheels, and get an idea for how I want it widened as well as a better idea for the front vent.

frontbacke.th.jpg

and the front/back view. I have r34 skyline tails to mold in, under the bumper I want to do a diffuser type set up, I know it would work better if the car was lower but it will be street driven. in the gap with the 2 circles the black one is the exhaust and the other is my idea to use a fog light for a backup light.

the front you can see the start of an idea for the front airdam, the blocked upper hole for the radiator as I want to duct i in, the radiator exhaust and about how much wider I want to sit.

Let me know what you guys think

Hey you've got some nice ideas for the bodywork, I dunno why you'd want to put on such a ghetto rear spoiler, but hey it's your car, and thank you for serving, I apprieciate it. swapping in the VG30DET should be fun, N w/ the tranny you'll probably want to get one of 240hoke's tranny shifter brackets. THe engine, that's great it showed up, ou should have someone to turn it w/ a wrench to be sure it's not locked up. dunno where you got it. Nistune will work, but you'll need the harness etc for it as well to integrate it into your Z. There's tons of info on here, and I know you have some time away, so do a LOT of reading. you'll save a lot of time and headaches that way.

good luck and thanks again

Phar

Its a VQ not a VG, a little newer, little lighter, and a little more power. I already got one of the shifter locators from 240hoke. The engine was pulled froma running y33 gloria in japan with 86000 kilometers on it. the company I got it from was Jhot imports in dallas. they come highly reccomended from all the guys in dallas that have done JDM swaps.

*edit* and the spoiler I got for cheap and it is rated to a speed of 160mph average on track. new price is 1400 and I picked it up for 1/3rd of that because it got a small din during shipping. Call me ricer or whatever but a wing like this if set up properly will work better than something like the zcc sparrow tail. plus it gives me the adjustability. its all preferences.

oop yeah, my bad, dunno how I read VG rather than VQ. That does up the coolness factor a bit.

As for the wing, I guess it's your choice, your car. If you think it'll help and actually be worth it, then go for it. Let us know how it works out for you. maybe you'll start a revelut'Z'ion!

What do you have in mind for the engine lower clearance situation rr? As you know the block on those motors is very deep so getting front Xmember clearance so the motor will sit low in the engine bay is not simply a matter of changing the tin oil pan.

Maybe the motor will sit behind the Xmember? I don't know but its something to think about, you are doing some pioneering work here, good on you.

Back to your fuel system....

I'm not sure of the similarities between the vq30 and vq35, but if you check the Jim Wolf Tech pages they show how to mod the vq35 fuel rail to support ~600hp(with bigger injectors of course).

Also, the stock system is returnless(dead head). The pressure used on the vq35 is similar to the pressure used on the 99-04 corvette. 50 something psi, I don't have the #s in front of me. Look into using the corvette fuel filter/pressure regulator. It will save you time, money, and a headache. Check the v8 forum for more details on the vette fpr/filter.

Well what I have been looking at on the fuel system is first get it running stock in the datsun with a bosch 044 pump. once I go to upgrade it'll either be 680 or 750cc injectors, with custom fuel rails, an adjustable rising rate FPR, 1/2in feed line, 3/8 return, -8an fittings on the feed side and -6an on the return side. either going to sump the stock tank or run a surge tank, or if money allows a sumped cell from summit.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The VQ30DET will not fit in with out major mods to the turbo system.... the crossover pipe runs behind the motor on top of the bellhousing...and turbo is on the drivers side hanging low so it also has to be moved....

Edited by fast-datsun