HybridZ

Pics of G-nose cars WITHOUT flares

iBang

I'm back and forth about if I want to go g-nose or not on my Z. I really like the look but I'm also considering going no-flares. I can't seem to turn up any pictures of a G-nose without flares so I'm having a hard time imagining what it will look like.

Anyone have something like this on their hard drive somewhere?

If you decide to put it up for a vote, add me to the "Yes on flares" side. A g-nose without flares is like a hotdog without a bun - it's good, but could be better. I'll put my soapbox away now and return to reading.

Dennis

I am of two minds on the flares - on one hand I love the look, total JDM old school, goes right along with the classic styling of the Z. On the other hand my "take" on the Z is going to be with shaved drip rails, modern "appliances" such as door handles, keys, etc. With that in mind, bolt on fenders are cool in a messy way but I think that a clean set of rolled and pulled fenders might work even better.

Agreed on the red one. What's really missing with all of these is the stance. I want my car to tuck a bit of tire and have very tight wheel/tire fit with the fender. I think that an all-metal car without flares may well be able to pull off a really slick wheel fit.

I really like the one Roostmonkey posted, it looks sleek and professional. The color and wheels help out alot too. And LowCarbZ's car looks freaking awesome, it reminds me of a Batmobile HotWheel I had when I was like 6. It might look better with like a spook on the front or maybe a custom air dam that kinda matches the lip on the skirts and rear, that would look great. Someone should photoshop that.:mrgreen:

And LowCarbZ's car looks freaking awesome...... It might look better with like a spook on the front or maybe a custom air dam that kinda matches the lip on the skirts and rear, that would look great.

I'll likely have that sorted out in the coming season... Thanks for the comments though, glad you like it. :burnout:

That's GNOZE's car and 240z8, you have a good eye. John's car is professional head to toe.

Good to know. I may give him a shout and see what parts he used for his conversion. I like the lip he's using, don't think I've seen it anywhere else.

That spoiler and splitter are a one off custom job that fits the gnose version I got from MSA 6 yrs ago. The splitter is a semi-circle that goes all the way back to the radiator. The idea and basic design was mine but Roostmonkey turned it into reality.

It is a 2-piece construction and powder coated in smoked gray.

The paint on the car is Nissan gunmetal gray with 15% more metal flake.

While the car was being built in '03 I bought a set of ZG flares and had them taped to the car to see if they would work for me. Since no one at the time sold a front airdam for the gnose (the version that Showcars sold had an integrated dam but not to my liking) and the front flares needed to be connected to something, I opted out of using the flares.

Also to really make the car look right with those flares on the rear, I would have needed to get new wider wheels and tires as well. Since I was way over budget as it was I elected to go sans flares and live with it.

Instead we rolled the rear lip outward to form a mini-flare by taking the flat portion and turning it out. A little fiberglass to smooth it out and done.

With the current 245 tires and rims it just tucks up into the wheel well as long I run them at 2 degrees neg and a more aggressive spring/shock combo (275#/Tokico HTS). At the current ride height a very sharp dip means wheel rub unless you go real slow.

A different airdam, more in line with the original ones used in Japan would be better looking and more aerodynamic but more likely to get damaged by speed bumps, angled parking garage surfaces and bad roads in general.

With money no object, I would go with a full flare and air dam look, wider wheels/tires, an RB26TT, and a louder muffler (no got that).....