HybridZ

What year/series is my car? :(

So I was looking at zhome.com today and was reading up on the section "What Year Is My 240Z?"

I have recently been going through a dilemma of whether my car is a 1970 or 1971 240Z, a Series I or Series II 240Z.

VIN: HLS30-05998

Production date: 6/70

ZHOME info on Series I 69,70,71 240Zs:

THE SERIES I 240Z's - Produced from Oct. of 1969 through Dec. of 1970. They are identified by the fresh air exhaust vents located on the rear hatch. (some of these cars were also produced in the first few weeks of Jan. 1971 during the transition period) They have plastic covers for tools and jack located behind the seats, steering wheels with indents, rather than holes.

My car has the plastic covers for tools, and jack located behind the seats. Steering wheel was replaced by previous owner, so I can't tell there... Fresh Air Exhaust Vents are NOT located on my hatch. "Z" badges on the "C" pillars.

The Series I 240Z's were sold and titled as 1969, 1970 and 1971 Model Year Cars here in the U.S. and North American Markets. (as they complied with all U.S. Emissions and Safety standards in effect for those years. There was not much change in the standards for those years.) Cars that arrived at the U.S. Ports after Sept. 1 1970, could legally be, and were, sold as 1971 Model Year Cars. (they could also have been, and were, legally sold as 1970 Model Year Cars! - however very few of them were, due to the price increase on the 1971 Model Year cars. ).

THE SERIES II 240Z's were produced from Jan. 1971 through Aug. of 1971. They are identified by the fresh air exhaust vents relocated to the side or "C" pillar of the car, from their prior position on the rear deck lid. The tools and jack were re-located to pockets in the rear deck area and the steering wheels have holes, where the indents were on the Series I cars.

These cars were also sold as 1971 Model Year Cars here in the U.S....So both Series I and Series II Z Cars were sold as 1971 Model Year cars.

I am starting to believe my car was one of the cars that was sold as a 1971 Series I car in 1970. My vents on the "C" pillar are covered with Z badges, however there are a couple of covered up holes.. (previous mounting point?) which leads me to believe a previous owner replaced the hatch (thus eliminating the vents) and plugged the holes of the 240Z emblem on the "C" pillar. The vents on the "C" pillar intrude inwards, almost like a cup.. but there is no sign of ventilation/functionality? I am not sure if the 1970 Series I Z had any hole/indent under the "C" pillar emblems.. or was it just flush? Also my car has LATCHES on the seatbelts, not buttons (series II feature).

Any insight would be appreciated.. :mrgreen:

I just wanted to see if anyone else had any inside scoop on this. I saw another car on eBay today which titled as a 1970, is in fact a series I with all the exterior goodies.. but, has a HIGHER VIN than me.

:rolleyesg Thank you for reading

I have a lower VIN than you, but mines one of the first hundred of 260's made.

Check the frame rails, they should be shorter, or just weigh it. Should be around 2300 if i'm not mistaken, if it is a series 1.

Maybe you have a 'tweener, with a mix of both series 1 and 2 features

I saw your VIN in your sig earlier today and quite frankly, it's kinda confused me.

Sounds like someone did away with the series one vent and C pillar bits. Behind the C pillar badge on a series one car, there is nothing, just two holes for the emblem to go on.

One way that should tell for sure is your rear deck. Lift up the carpet. Just behind the seat/ in front of the strut towers should be about 12 holes if it's a series one, or two compartments roughly 6"x10" each if it's a later model.

Here's a pic, although it doesn't show the whole thing...

DSCF3613.jpg

I have a lower VIN than you, but mines one of the first hundred of 260's made.

Check the frame rails, they should be shorter, or just weigh it. Should be around 2300 if i'm not mistaken, if it is a series 1.

Neither of those are series one specific. All 240Zs should weigh in around 2300lbs - it is said the earlier ones (70/71) are a little lighter though. Any kind of frame rail, either in the engine compartment, under the floors, etc, will be the same on all 240Zs.

I saw your VIN in your sig earlier today and quite frankly, it's kinda confused me.

Sounds like someone did away with the series one vent and C pillar bits. Behind the C pillar badge on a series one car, there is nothing, just two holes for the emblem to go on.

One way that should tell for sure is your rear deck. Lift up the carpet. Just behind the seat/ in front of the strut towers should be about 12 holes if it's a series one, or two compartments roughly 6"x10" each if it's a later model.

Here's a pic, although it doesn't show the whole thing...

DSCF3613.jpg

Awesome, thanks for your info! I will check first thing in the morning.. But something I am confused about, that is obvious. My jack and tool bag is behind the seats, and not in a compartment in the rear. I heard that was a feature of only Series I cars.

Behind the badges, there is a hole. Except theres a cup like object that sits up against the hole.. so its U/Bowl shape when u look inwards, nonfunctional.

Just want make sure.. that both 1970 and 1971 can be a Series I car, have the vents, and 240Z badges on the "C" Pillars. But a Series II car will never have 240Z badges and vents on the hatch. Correct?

As for the 260 comment earlier.. your VIN number system is different from the S30 I believe?

Oh, also.. on a Series II car, there will be only holes for the "Z" emblem on the "C" Pillar, no pre cut or marked holes for the 240Z emblem that was only on Series I cars right? Because under my car's Z emblem it looks like it has some holes painted over, and some still there... that might fit a 240Z emblem.. maybe i should get a set to find out hmm!

Awesome, thanks for your info! I will check first thing in the morning.. But something I am confused about, that is obvious. My jack and tool bag is behind the seats, and not in a compartment in the rear. I heard that was a feature of only Series I cars.

Behind the badges, there is a hole. Except theres a cup like object that sits up against the hole.. so its U/Bowl shape when u look inwards, nonfunctional.

Just want make sure.. that both 1970 and 1971 can be a Series I car, have the vents, and 240Z badges on the "C" Pillars. But a Series II car will never have 240Z badges and vents on the hatch. Correct?

As for the 260 comment earlier.. your VIN number system is different from the S30 I believe?

Yes, the tools and jack behind the seats under a plastic cover was a series one only feature.

Series two and up had the "cup" behind the badges. They are functional though! There should be an outlet towards the front of the car. Kind of like a side scoop but on the inside of the car...

Yes, both 1970 and 1971 cars can be a series one. The 1971 series one is usually referred to as an early 1971. Series one cars were made up until 1/71. Your VIN is awfully low to be titled as a 1971, although it is possible, just not likely. From what I've seen, the switch from being titled as a 1970 vs 1971 happened roughly around the 10,000 mark, as far as VINs go.

No, series two cars did not have hatch vents, ever. That's another series one only feature. So, yes, you are correct.

Wasn't my comment about the 260Z, but you are also correct. 240Zs and 280Zs were HLS30s in the US. 260Zs were RLS30.

Oh, also.. on a Series II car, there will be only holes for the "Z" emblem on the "C" Pillar, no pre cut or marked holes for the 240Z emblem that was only on Series I cars right? Because under my car's Z emblem it looks like it has some holes painted over, and some still there... that might fit a 240Z emblem.. maybe i should get a set to find out hmm!
A series one 240Z emblem for the C pillar is held on by two studs, side by side, ~1.5" apart. Not the triangle shape the holes would make with a later badge.

This pic might give you an idea, although it's kinda hard to see. It's the best I've got on hand though.

DSCF3672.jpg

rturbo,

Wow, so mine is just.. WEIRD. Series I & II features.. definitely confusing... I'm gonna have the figure out what the heck went wrong along the way...

260 comment was a reply to the previous poster, my bad.

Maybe the quarter panel was replaced before, along with the hatch.. possible a rear vehicle accident.. but nothing on the record. That's the only thing I can think of.. I'm gonna check more when I get home.

Ya, its very unlikely my car is a 71.. although it was titled as one.. zhome says 03486 was the lowest 71 model.. so maybe? haha

rturbo,

Wow, so mine is just.. WEIRD. Series I & II features.. definitely confusing... I'm gonna have the figure out what the heck went wrong along the way...

260 comment was a reply to the previous poster, my bad.

Maybe the quarter panel was replaced before, along with the hatch.. possible a rear vehicle accident.. but nothing on the record. That's the only thing I can think of.. I'm gonna check more when I get home.

Ya, its very unlikely my car is a 71.. although it was titled as one.. zhome says 03486 was the lowest 71 model.. so maybe? haha

I've heard of people converting their cars to look like the later 240Zs, just very rare from what I've read.

BTW, if you haven't, I would recommend posting this on classiczcars.com, since, well, they're a lot more factory Z oriented, and those guys will probably be able to tell you for sure what your car is and what happened.

Awesome, thanks man..

I was looking at another site.. and I think I found my answer.. My car checks off for all of this list:

1. Body shell lighter by 200lbs

2. Vented hatch

3. Solid B pillars

4. 240z badge on B pillar

5. Nissan 2400-OHC rocker cover

6. Back to front brake master

7. Cigarette lighter next to the ash tray

8. A hand throttle

9. Swiss cheese rear deck

10. Tool boxes behind each seat

11. Seats only recline 10 degrees or so

12. Chrome coat hooks

13. Split driveshaft

14. Solid steering wheel spokes

15. Flawed diff location

16. Speedo that starts at 20mph

17. "D" hubcaps not the "Z" ones

18. Weak B pillars that cracked

19. Mystery space beside the speedo for a switch or cigarette lighter

20. Vertical rear demister (if fitted, dealer option)

21. Rear speaker mounted behind the electric aerial.

22 Many more than I can't remember (anoraks please chirp in now)

You have a true series 1 car.....not at 71 model. Your vin isn't late enough to be titled as a 71. You have listed all parts unique to a series 1 car. I have a 2/70 car I am stripping right now. I also just parted out a 6/70 car. Just figure out why it is titled as a 71. Also at some point someone change the pillar emblems. They can not be swapped out for one another...so the holes were moved...hmmm.

Nice looking car anyway!

Thanks a lot EvilC,

I also have been looking through your build threads and trips etc. Sweet cars for sure!

Also at some point someone change the pillar emblems. They can not be swapped out for one another...so the holes were moved...hmmm.

I removed the pillar emblems to look under. One of the previous owners cut a hole and put the ducts in to make it look like an exact reproduction of a series II car. So now there is one big hole for the venting, and three holes (triangle shape) that match with the "Z" emblem. HOWEVER, there are two holes covered in some kind of rubber sealant, that are 1.5" apart horizontal across the vent. I am thinking he tried to cover them up after replacing them. =)

You have a true series 1 car.....not at 71 model. Your vin isn't late enough to be titled as a 71.

Now if only i can figure out why it's titled a 71... on zhome.com they said the lowest 71 was titled in #3000 something.. maybe they are wrong? I wonder if the date is correctable through the California DMV.

• 5 weeks later...
I have a 1970 240 vin 2199 production date 3 /70 could that be a series one car and if so are they worth more

Yes that's a Series 1 car. Yes its worth more to some people, no to others. That's a low vin, if its not trashed (rust bucket) then it is worth more than a later 240z to most I would assume.