HybridZ

Custom HID Projectors

I have HID's on my 280zx there H4 8000k 55 watt bulbs yeah projectors look good but they only focus in one spot I had bought aftermarket headlights awhile back and got tired of using high watt bulbs or colored ones so instead I bought the HID's for 100 bucks and there well spreaded on the road I can see everything now I recommed doing the relays so that your lights don't end up looking like strobe lights it's only when you have bad relays or weak battery even when you need a new altenador.

I know it's not a Datsun/Nissan forum I am linking to, and it is not my topic/thread over there either, but I found this one here about using Honda S2000 projectors. Thought you folks might like to have a look. It looked liek it could be retro-fitted if one wanted to do so.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499137

Note: Please, no flaming. I'm only trying to be helpful.

That Supra page was pretty cool. I've always figured the chinese repro lights were inferior, but I didn't guess they would be that bad. I'm sold on trying something different. I've been looking for another light that could be modified to fit into an S30. the 7'5 inch round opening we have is difficult to find anything cool that would fit. I don't know what a custom housing would cost to have fabbed.

Phar

I retrofitted mine like this the first time using s2k projectors, but they don't have a high beam, plus I did not like the distortion of the beam going thru the 7" glass lens.

IM001910.jpg

I went ahead and did the Accura TL retrofit (has hi/low) and used powder coated spun alum 7" headlight racing lens protectors (after having a hole machined in them for the projector lens) to hold the TL housings.

I know I can do it over if I want, and use the 7" glass housings again, to get rid of the blacked out look, but I'm going to leave it cause I like it, and that's who counts... :)

IM002015-1.jpg

• 11 months later...

Along the same lines, I'm doing an HID retrofit into the 260Z project car. but instead of using all these failed attemps at good projector lenses and housings inside a 7" glass or composite bulb assembly, I've decided to take a different aproach. There's always seemed to be a waste of space in front of the headlights of our S30's. And I've always liked the idea of Projector HID's in our older cars but it always looks funky, to me at least.

So I'm gonna retrofit a set or TRS FX-R (Acura style) BiXenon D2S Projectors into the actual bucket, rather than into the headlight area.

So the assembly will sit in front of where the headlight normally sits. The bucket will be boxed off in the same shape and form as the Clear and smoked headlight covers that we are all familiar with. Either fiberglass or metal for the shell and a clear lexan or Plexiglass or Acrylic lens in the front tear drop shaped area of the shell.

I'll be using D2S 5000K bulbs, 35 watt ballasts and D2S adaptors to use with the more commonly available ballast.

I also need to make a custom relay harness for the hi beam actuator. No big deal, just allow the hi and low beams to continue the power to the ballast but allow the hi beam to drop the hi beam sheild in the projector housing. Easy cheesy. I'll also have TRi-R Chrome bezels and I've already installed 5mm Yellow leds into each of the 6(each) flat holes, you can see the bezels below. I'll use the yellow LED's for Turn signals, easily seen with the headlights off.

Here's a couple clues to what I'll be using and a moch up of the headlight bucket, using blue painters tape to get an idea of the shape I'm going after.

TRS%20FX-R%20Bi-xenon%20Projector%201l.jpg

!B-eP32QBWk~$(KGrHqN,!k8Ey+jC1vh8BM8uC1KU3w~~0_12.JPG

!B97Ucn!!2k~$(KGrHqMOKo4Ey+jCzfCZBM7LEgIyzw~~0_12.JPG

!B9JkMSgCWk~$(KGrHqV,!g8EzeDbSPJfBM4-lepb9w~~0_12.JPG

!ByfR)Jw!2k~$(KGrHqV,!i8Ew5osqKodBMR7Npbsug~~_12.JPG

You can see in the 3rd picture that there is plenty of room for everything that'll be needed.

So what do you guys think?

Dave

post-1483-029780600 1295160700_thumb.jpg

post-1483-020686300 1295160720_thumb.jpg

post-1483-075584200 1295160774_thumb.jpg

Edited by HLS30-08077

• 2 years later...

I emailed them and they said they don't know specifically about the fitting on a 280z, but they have dealers and resellers who sell them so they don't know every car they have been installed into. He said they do draw more amperage but you can get a relay harness from painless or summit for around $150 or they make one for $50. He said it plugs into your existing harness and has a positive and ground you just hook to the battery so they run off battery voltage and it takes the load off your switch and wiring.