HybridZ

Pete Jackson Cam Gears Opinions Wanted

I'm glad this thread has generated so many responses. It has helped me make the decision to go with a quiet version of the cam gears. The idea of a chain stretching and ultimately breaking, (Not to mention the effects of imprecise timing), I'll take the quiet Pete Jackson set-up. The longevity and reliability is worth the price. Everyone has a different vision for their Zcar, but it's great to have the access to the minds who love the car and want to not only keep it alive, but make it better!

I'm glad this thread has generated so many responses. It has helped me make the decision to go with a quiet version of the cam gears. The idea of a chain stretching and ultimately breaking, (Not to mention the effects of imprecise timing), I'll take the quiet Pete Jackson set-up. The longevity and reliability is worth the price. Everyone has a different vision for their Zcar, but it's great to have the access to the minds who love the car and want to not only keep it alive, but make it better!

Awesome! Please post your swap pictures if you don't mind. :)

I know for a fact that regardless of power loss or not, I will still have a cool sound coming from under my hood. :mrgreen: IF you can hear it over my exhaust that is.....

I'm the exact opposite. They sound like a blower to me.

I don't want a blower sound, unless I have a blower to actually back it up.

"You've got a blower on that thing"

No, it's just a $100 gear drive.

If I had a blower, the sound would be music to my ears, without a blower, it would just be plain annoying.

And talking about hearing it over the exhaust, from what I've heard, that all depends on where you are standing. Behind the car, even with quiet exhaust you can't hear the gear drive.

Infront of the car, even with open headers, you can hear the gear drive.

Eh, you could always put a hallow blower case on it, ha... But ya, someone had said that to me once, "if you wanted a blower sound you should have installed a blower". That being said, most of the time at car shows and what not, I can still tell the difference between a set of gears and a blower/charger. I however love the sound they make, as long as they are on someone elses engine.

Cheers

Ryan~

Gentlemen: AGAIN, if the timing chain with some wear could be seen through the timing cover one would see the slack in the chain just flapping around and causing the camshaft and distributor varying according to the slack in the timing chain. With a gear drive this situation is much reduced if not ELIMINATED. The cam events and distributor timing are MUCH MORE PRECISE. The whine on a quiet gear set is the byproduct.

Yeah Ive seen my timing light ''wiggle'' from what I assume is the play gathered in all that machinery, But im not running anything TO THE MAX WHOOOO lol. just a nicely built 350. Its all on your personal goal... I like the sleeper. If i was going for maximum everything, trying to squeeze every horse and the dollar to make it go far. maybe knock that extra tenth off my quarter mile. I might worrie about it and deal with a whine...