HybridZ

real wheel bearing grease

I had a local machine shop install new bearings in my rear hubs this weekend. I provided them with everything to do the job including the FSM pages and grease. I was looking at the inner bearing tonight and noticed that the bearing is dry i.e. the bearing is not packed with grease. I'm going to guess that the outer is the same way :fmad:.

Is it advisable to have them press out the axles, grease them and re-install without replacing the bearings again? I'm worried that pressing out the bearings will damage the races due to the side load. Amy I being overly cautious here?

Is there another way to get grease into the outer bearing without disassembly? How about heating the housing and letting the grease flow into the outer bearing?

I saw two rear struts from a 240Z ITS race car that were drilled for a grease fitting. Of course (in your situation) the drilling operation may introduce metal shavings into the grease cavity.

I don't think packing the whole strut housing with grease is warranted or a very good idea. A good slathering of grease on each bearing is really all you need. I have to wonder if PACKING the strut housing might cause a leak especially as the bearings get hot.

I don't think packing the whole strut housing with grease is warranted or a very good idea. A good slathering of grease on each bearing is really all you need. I have to wonder if PACKING the strut housing might cause a leak especially as the bearings get hot.

I don't disagree with your thinking, Jon. Grease will expand with heat and if there's too much then it will leak past the seals. However, the factory service manual does tell you to "fill the center (strut) portion with grease" during assembly".

Thanks for the feedback.

I talked with the guy who did the work. He told me that he did fill the internal cavity with grease. Not the whole cavity, just the areas around the axle. He admitted that he did not pack the bearings. At least he is honest. If it doesn't hurt the bearings then I think I'll just have the guy remove the axle, pack the bearings and reinstall.