HybridZ

Starting issue

jacob80

Hey guys!

We have swapped in an L28ET and have been having starting issues. Here us what happens:

i put the car on a charger all night to trickle charge, just to make sure the battery is fully charged and not an issue. I go out to start it the following evening and all that happens is the solenoid clicks. This happens also when I use a screwdriver on the starter to bridge the connection on the starter, i'm pretty damn sure it's the solenoid that is clicking. We did install the starter relay mod but it still has the issue. After this happens, I put the charger on 50amp engine start mode and wait about 5 to 10 minutes. I go back out and it turns over to start, but sometimes, if it doesn't start and I let it regroup and attempt again, it will just click once, it never clicks multiple times. What could this be??? Thanks guys!

It's so random, very hard telling what is going on. Say, for example, one time I was doing a compression test with the battery charger on the battery. I got through all cylinders but one and it just didn't want to crank, just "click," very annoying. Once, I was at a cruise and I killed it and low and behold, it wouldn't start so I had to pushstart :/ where do I begin diagnostics?

Check your battery cables for a start. no corrosion either end. no one size fit all clamp on terminals. Get the battery load tested to be sure it is fully functional - free most places. Battery terminals are tight not just pushed on. Ground bolt tight and starter nut tight. If all that is good then your starter is having issues. next time it happens rap the starter lightly with a ball peen hammer. if it works after that you definitely have starter issues.

It states "do not strike with hammer" lol. This is a brand new Bosch gear reduction starter, it seems to me like more of a power issue to the starter. When I hold the key to crank, no lights dim or anything, so I'm not sure it's the battery because you would think that everything would dim when I turned the key if I had low voltage from the battery.

I had a similar problem with my 260z when it had the L26 and auto trans. It would click and the starter wouldnt turn over. I would have to repeatedly try it untill it would finely engauge. I always had a sneaking suspsion that it was my neutral safety switch. After the L28 swap i looped the neutral saftey switch with a jumper, and a few other connections. Now it starts every time...

Not so; it could have a neutral safety switch. he'll need to get up under it and look, it will be a switch near the shifter on the passenger side of the transmission.

Or, check under the passenger seat for the relay that resides there; sometimes it can cause a problem too.

There is some kind of plastics switch piece I discovered which is located on the floor under seat. dos this have something to do with starting? Maybe this is the switch your talking about, it's like a big pedal looking thing made out of black plastic, it was just laying under the passenger seat, very odd...

You said you did the starter relay mod. I take this to mean that you have a relay being triggered by your key switch that switches current from your battery, through a fuse, and into the solenoid terminal on your starter.

I presume this wiring is done and done well, the fuse is of adequate size and is not blown, and this modification has been tested as fully functional. In other words, you reliably get battery voltage at the solenoid terminal every time you flip the key to start, right?

If that is the case, then no neutral safety switch is involved. If, somehow, the signal is being interrupted between the key and the relay, then you should be able to hotwire your relay (send 12VDC down the wire that normally comes from your key switch) and get perfect function.

You said it was a new Bosch gear reduction starter.. New usually means remanufactured. I would not hesitate to smack it with a ball-peen hammer. The day I hesitate to smack a misbehaving starter is the day you can push me off a cliff. I also have lost all faith in all "remanufactures," and I am not the only one, so don't trust it implicitly. But let's assume it is not the culprit.

If the starter is good and the relay is working right, then the problem must lie in your battery or cables. Cables CAN be too long, and they can be worn out and not look it. How much cable-wiggling have you done when the starter was in failure mode? Have you tried a different battery in the car altogether? Have you tried the battery in another car? Two new cables should cost around 20-30 bucks, and it is the most important part on your car.

I have not confirmed that I am getting at least 12v to the solenoid when the problem occurs, I will confirm that tonight. Just to be clear, if I use a multimeter and measure the dc voltage at the positive side of the solenoid while the key is in the cranking position, it should be at minimum 12v, correct? I will test that tonight. Thanks for the great response! Also, this problem will happen even when I have my battery charger on the battery in the "50 amp engine start" mode. The starter has never been sluggish, ever, it either works great or it will just click. There is a click when I turn the key and a click when I let go of the key.

Check the ignition switch. I have two that the stops in them are worn or bent, and you can turn the key far enough to engage, and then disengage the starting position.

Same symptoms, click-on as the solenoid almost has enough time to close, then click-off because you never let it hit the starting switch contacts long enough.

It's a long shot, but it's not a hard fix.

Yes, it is mounted on the back of the lock cylinder with two screws. look at where the wiring harness plugs into the ignition, and you'll find two screws. Unscrew them, DON'T LOSE THEM, because they're tiny. you will now be holding the ignition switch, sans lock cylinder, and you will only need a screwdriver to start the car. This is the portion that you'd replace, if it was bad. As far as testing, I just kept swapping it with other switches that I had on hand; I had about a dozen that came in my Z. When i found one that worked the best, i put that one in and was done.

Not much help on how to test it, but it's pretty easy to get in and out.