HybridZ

1972 240z on craiglist for 25,000 O_o

jtmny1999

I would neither call that one of a kind, or that special. I'm sure its a very nice car, but there are a lot of people out there that have just as many "rare" parts and probably would sell it for less. I know that we are just speculating on this car but I think as a seller, if you want to ask for that much money, you should be prepared to provide a recent professional appraisal along with a full build list documented with dyno sheets and time slips.

While we are on this topic of reasonable prices...anybody want to take a crack at how much my car is worth, and how much I bought it for? This is just for sh!ts and giggles...it was a deal of a lifetime. Here's the basic "spec sheet":

1972 240Z

F54/P90 bored/stroked to 3.1L

480 lift/270 duration cam

Currently running SU's with SM needles, (DCOE 40's sitting in a box)

Holley blue fuel pump, FPR set at 3.5 psi

MSD 6aL ignition

ZX alternator

6-2 header, 2.5 stainless exhaust

Datsun competition wide ratio 5-spd

R200, 3.7 LSD

Tokiko's and Eibachs

Toyota brake upgrade (front), stock drums in the rear

Stainless steel brake lines

Front and rear strut tower braces

front and rear sway bars

All polyurethane bushings

Autopower roll bar

Factory wiring and fuse box replaced with Painless wiring kit

Autometer guages (Tach, Speedo, Oil pressure, Water temp, Fuel, A/F meter)

Miata seats

New carpet, headliner, panels

Grant steering wheel

Clarion head unit, amp, 2 subs, 4 speakers, 2 tweeters

RUST FREE, Chevy Indigo Blue Metallic paint

3 inch flares front and rear

3 piece BBS wheels, 15x9 rear, 15x8 front

Thats all I can think of right now...runs like a champ and turns heads. I would dare to say that my car has just as much work as the craiglist listing, and although I think its worth near the same price, I dont think it would sell for more than 12K. I pretty much got the car with the above mods already done. Anybody want to venture how much it set me back?

He is just adding up receipts.  Something you just can't do when selling a modified car.  Good luck to him.  If it does sell at that price, all of our cars values just went up.

Check the link I posted in the LINKS section here for determining collector car values.

Edited by cygnusx1

Good luck to that seller for trying to sell at that price. His ad is horrible with misspellings and bad grammar. He also seems to be attempting to describe the car to the "common" buyer and not a collector and most collectors wouldn't be interested in a modified car in most cases anyway, I guess. Especially with custom "eagles pin striping" and the "modern" wheels he has which look straight off of a 1980's domestic dragstrip.

It looks like he has some nice parts, but other than the "Gleason Torsen" diff, nothing too special. He doesn't even mention who built his motor, if its stroked and or punched out or the mileage on the engine. Also, the car couldn't have 108,000 miles on the odometer; it would say 08000. So, does it have 108k on the chassis?

If people are barely getting $25,000-$30,000 for mint condition dead stock series 1 240Z's with under 50k on it, no chance this car sells for anywhere near $25k.

I'm sick of seeing people posting their car for sale on ebay and craigslist with poor descriptions, bad spelling and grammar (is spellcheck that hard? Open Word and paste your text in there, spellcheck it then paste back into craigslist), poorly lit or blurry pictures (I know on craigslist that the pics are small, but provide a link to somewhere with big pics), and worst of all people that exaggerate their car to try to upsell it. Everyone knows a 240Z who's only suspension work is bolt-on stuff like Tokico HP's, some coilover sleeves, strut bars and a big sway bar is not going handle like any Porsche 911 or outhandle it unless it is completely clapped out. I feel like a hater for hating on this guy's car because it really doesn't look bad and it looks like he put some nice work into it, I'm just hating on his for sale ad.

Sounds like the guy is either a complete idiot, or his wife told him to get rid of the money pit....seller: OK honey, I will put it on Craigslist......stupid *****, it will never sell for 25K.....look honey, it will not sell, can we keep it. laugh.gif

LOL, toooooo funny Dtsnlovrs. I did the EXACT same thing with my ex-wife on my '70 Challenger lmao.gif

(note I said "ex-wife") lmao.gif