HybridZ

280ZXT Tripod Axle Length

MAG58

So I've been trying to start beefing up the driveline in prep for the M104, and the next to go were the old u joints for some 280ZXT Tripods. That said, I'm using the 1982 ZXT 3.54 R200 and the same companion flanges on the stub shafts, with modified seals. From what I've found searching, some have had binding, some have not and the proper technique to install them is to drop down the LCA's, stuff the ZXT half shafts in under roughly full compression, and then rotate the LCA back into place.

My issue: The halfshafts are so long that under full compression, the lca isn't anywhere close to it's mouning points. It's over 2'' away. They're rebuilt half shafts (MY 1982), and I've been doing this on the passenger side first using the corresponding right side half shaft. Literally no amount of compression gets them any where close.

Any ideas why?

Edited by MAG58

• 4 weeks later...

okok.. I have found that the rebuilders will substitute the WRONG AXLES when sending you your rebuilt units. They will also mess up the inner tripod housing which will not allow the axle to completely compress.

I obtained a complete pair from a 1982 ZXT, and used them in mockup of my suspension and overall build. Then when the car was being painted I ordered rebuilt units. ONE of the axles I got back was a 1984 300zx axle(the same parts but too long). The second axle was the correct part but the inner joint was stiff and would not compress more than 1/2". I sent that one back and waited nearly a month before I received a third axle that worked.

Edited by bjhines

John,

Don't you just love Advance Auto or whomever you purchased the axles from? Your experience really adds to that warm and fuzzy feeling I have when ordering a rebuilt part from one of those jokers. Calling this ordering process a "crap shoot" would better describe it. You sure don't know how it will turn out!

NAPA... Gotta love NAPA. They all use the same rebuilders.

I am still short ONE axle. I have a rebuilt right side axle, but from the 1984 300ZXNA. I still have not been able to get my original right side back or the correct RIGHT side axle in trade. This has been in limbo for months. I really need another right side axle from a 280ZXT to rebuild myself.

I would have compared the rebuilt units to the originals... but,I was forced to send off my units to be "rebuilt". They sent back a RH 300ZX axle and "lost" my core.

Edited by bjhines

NAPA... Gotta love NAPA. They all use the same rebuilders.

I am still short ONE axle. I have a rebuilt right side axle, but from the 1984 300ZXNA. I still have not been able to get my original right side back or the correct RIGHT side axle in trade. This has been in limbo for months. I really need another right side axle from a 280ZXT to rebuild myself.

I would have compared the rebuilt units to the originals... but,I was forced to send off my units to be "rebuilt". They sent back a RH 300ZX axle and "lost" my core.

Would a single center bar only, from a 280zxt @ 15 3/8" help you out? I'm sure it's the "short" axle bar.

The center bar would be fantastic!!! Thanks!

After gathering up my little stack of axles, I can see how there is so much confussion and miss matching going on with these shafts. There are three different size pairs that I have alone.

The 15 3/8 bar I have (the bare one in pics) is not even the shortest.... I have two sets of the 2x3 bolt pattern shafts, and one set of 4 bolt shafts from a R31 skyline.

post-181-12706762571599_thumb.jpg

post-181-12706762847181_thumb.jpg

Edited by rb26powered74zcar

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It looks like the bottom row, 4th from the left, half assembled axle is the one I need. The right side axle I have is like the first one one the bottom row. You can see that there is at least a 1" difference in the center section lengths.

Remember... The right side axle is the one with the longer differential stub.

Edited by bjhines

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It looks like the bottom row, 4th from the left, half assembled axle is the one I need. The right side axle I have is like the first one one the bottom row. You can see that there is at least a 1" difference in the center section lengths.

Remember... The right side axle is the one with the longer differential stub.

BJ, you can not receive any more PM's. I sent you a email with my phone number...

Hello All,

I think all the online retailers us the same rebuilder - A1 Cardone. I ordered a pair of axles for the 300ZX turbo (84-89 with the 4 mount holes) and the order was completely jacked up. Then I tried NAPA and too was jacked up. Here is my 2 cents. I went online and asked for a quote for the axles I needed. I got back 3 quotes from salvage yards and out of the three one guy knew exactly what I needed. His name, number is Scott (518-587-0129)Thoroughbred Auto parts scottatthoroughbredauto@gmail.com. The axles came out of CA and they are PERFECT. I thought I would have to get them rebuilt (Here in Denver we have A1 Axle rebuilders) but they are fine. One is short the other is long and they are from an 86 TURBO!!!!! The key in my opinion is NOT to send them away for rebuilding as you WON'T get back the ones you sent in and will have to start the whole process over. IF you have to rebuild use someone local in your area and make sure they do it there!!!

Danno74Z

• 2 weeks later...