HybridZ

Just another L28et dyno result

Sideways

Thought id share for any who might be interested. Finally dynoed my car at our shop and got it tuned. Stock motor, 460cc injectors, t3/t4 turbo, 3" turbo back, Npr fmic, 60mm throttle body, msd 6a ignition, haltech e6a, im sure im missing something but meh thats the bulk of it. This was the result.

9psiruns.jpg

This run was on the waste gate pressure of 9 psi, but it stayed a hair under 10 psi most of the way. The car laid down just over 300 at 18 psi and 360 pound of torque, but sadly i was unable to save these results. It also turns out this was done on 5 good cylinders. Cylinder 5 broke the ring lands and had some wicked blow by going on, a compression test yielded an incredible 60 or so pounds of compression on the cylinder. Ill have the motor back together with new pistons within a couple days and have some new runs/results for everyone whos interested.

None of us could figure out why number 5 broke. Afrs were perfectly flat along the low 12s the entire time. When I go to the shop today ill save an image with the AFRs along the bottom. Theres an advantage to working at a shop with 2 dynopacks and a dyno jet.

J the turbo is just a chinese t3/t04e .6 trim. A buddy of mine runs a company selling a slew of parts so i couldnt complain much when i got this brand new for 140 bucks. Ive seen him run these turbos before on his companies drift cars and seen them do well, so hopefully itll be ok for my application.

Edited by Sideways

Check out the cylinder head cooling thread for some rationale behind #5 ring lands going first.

Oddly enough I was actually reading that last night just before I made this thread.

To run on low 12's, you should be on race gas at 18psi.

I greatly appreciate the input, but i think running race[/i] gas for only 18 psi on a rebuilt motor with stock compression is a bit overkill for this situation lol. The motor actually had the wicked blow by before we attempted to tune for 18 psi, so im 100% certain that this is not what took out number 5. The 18 psi run was very conservative and there wasnt a -single- trace of knock the entire tiem (or any time for that matter). My best guess as to what happened? I never filed down the rings as the paperwork with them said not to do so, the tolerances were on the tight side. This combined with the higher temps associated with cylinder 5 probably caused the rings to expand too much and snag taking out the ring land.

I greatly appreciate the input, but i think running race[/i] gas for only 18 psi on a rebuilt motor with stock compression is a bit overkill for this situation lol.

Maybe, maybe not. Depending on the air temperature, I can get knock with 16 psi and 91 pump gas (highest pump octane in Colorado). I am running about the same AFRs, but have no tuning flexibility with a factory Z31 ECU.

Timing maybe? Hope you dont mind me whoring myself out a little, but our tuner here is a licensed nistune dealer- If youre ever looking to upgrade I can get you a damn good deal on a type 1 board which will let you tune your z31 ecu.

I'm actually very much DIY and am looking into building a Megasquirt and tuning with a wideband; now that all this technology is available and cheap. Too much wrong and non-adjustable with the Z31 ECU.

Which is why you DIY and add a nistune to your board ;) Check em out- theyre a small step behind a full stand alone (3d maps, adjustable fuel/ignition, etc) and even have real time tuning on them. Very interested in megasquirt as well myself but id comfortably take the nistune over that (and nistune would be cheaper, depending on teh rates around you you can probably get the unit and install it yourself then take it to be tuned for the price of everything its going to cost you to get the megasquirt). If you ARE dead set on going with megasquirt I recommend waiting a short while until the mega squirt 3 comes out, a much ncier unit overall than the 2 imo. Itll have full sequential injection for our motors finally, a nice perk.

Edited by Sideways

Nice numbers! Itll be interesting to see what it puts down with good compression in all 6.

quick question about nistune, do they make a board for an Infiniti M30 ECU? basically a 300zxt ecu (or so I was told), but with sequential injection

Nice numbers! Itll be interesting to see what it puts down with good compression in all 6.

quick question about nistune, do they make a board for an Infiniti M30 ECU? basically a 300zxt ecu (or so I was told), but with sequential injection

Indeed they do, the type 2 board covers that. If youre interested in one I can get you a good deal on one, PM me and let me know if you ever are.

Just a fast shot with the datalogging of the boost and afrs for anyone who was interested previously.

afrboostz.jpg

The e6a may be old, but it does a pretty good job. Got to love the controlled boost from the HKS evc as well.

Edit: Bah double post, can a mod merge these posts if he comes across them?

Edited by Sideways