HybridZ

Easy fix for Toyota Prius brake problems

leftover z

This vid is great, it's amazing what can happen when you read the manual for the car and learn that there is more then 1 way to stop a car.

The Prius can be stopped in all the ways he mentioned plus if you hold the gas pedal and brake pedal down at the same time it will shut down the car and stop it.

Doesn't the little black box tell the story about what happened? Once the car hit something (cop car for ex) doesn't the ecu save all data for last moments before? It should be able to tell if it had the brakes applied, speed etc????

Kinda high-strung ain't he...too much caffeine? Checked out a Prius board and Prius owners love their cars.

Yup. I think the Prius owners who had brake or gas pedal problems shouldn't be driving ANY vehicle (well maybe them bumper cars at the fair). My first car was a '64 Plymouth Satellite 383 with dual quads. I was rip-roaring around, and my gas pedal fell to the floor. Instantly I was doing over 130. I simply turned my key OFF, coasted off the road, popped the hood, and found my throttle return spring had broke off. I chuckle at these people who can't figure out how to stop their cars. Pop it in neutral. DOH!

Yup. I think the Prius owners who had brake or gas pedal problems shouldn't be driving ANY vehicle (well maybe them bumper cars at the fair). My first car was a '64 Plymouth Satellite 383 with dual quads. I was rip-roaring around, and my gas pedal fell to the floor. Instantly I was doing over 130. I simply turned my key OFF, coasted off the road, popped the hood, and found my throttle return spring had broke off. I chuckle at these people who can't figure out how to stop their cars. Pop it in neutral. DOH!

Agreed pretty much but there are a lot of people who "shouldn't" be driving for one reason or another. I haven't been following the Prius thing much with all the other Toyota problems going on but as far as I know less than 150 Prius drivers have filed complaints with about 40 of those being in Japan. And their complaint is that the accelerator gets jumpy when they hit a bump or a pothole not some runaway out of control hellride. I just don't see what this guy is all worked up about. Seems like he has some self-righteous anger issues...I could see him filling in for Rush Limbaugh next time he goes in to detox :D

Is that BigPhil?

I've watched Big Phil's vids. Seems too cool and laid back to go off on a rant like this.

And besides...Phil's got a normal sized nose :lmao:

I think the Cali dude was faking it.

But for the record;

A prius is entirely computer controlled. You have no mechanical connection to anything but the brakes, steering wheel, and the door handle. If the computer was "stuck" he could not pull the key out or even turn it off. He also could not put it in neutral or pull up on the gas pedal.

I think the Cali dude was faking it...

Definitely has a shady history. I'm not going to repeat it but somebody has done a serious background check on that guy and found a lot of suspicious stuff. I'm not clear on how he profits from this though. If he's just looking for his 15 minutes he got that.

I'd say that I feel alot of the same upset anger towards what may be a large group of ignorant Toyota owners.... BUT, I personally have about zero clue what models, of what Toyotas, have been effected by what sort of issues.

My initial understanding was that there was a drive by wire throttle issue in the Camry that could cause a WOT situation, but now I have no clue what model has what wrong with it.

This is because literally every single news medium I have engaged trying to figure out what this issue even is, focuses solely on the Headline and absolutely zero, absolutely ZERO on the technical and driver issues. I've never been a huge fan of Toyota or Toyotas, but I cannot deny that in the last 30 years they have sold massive numbers of cars like nobody since Henry Ford. Why can't I find straight info on this subject whatsoever??

Why is it that the only ones saying anything rational are angry individuals on YouTube, who are so upset that this idiocy is being perpetrated they get confused on how to be indignant and whom to react against?

Why isn't Brian Williams explaining to people how to downshift their Camry if the brake fails *and* the DBWT is jammed open? If the issue is as simple as WOT, then the answer is as simple as the YouTube video suggests; Neutral. If the brakes fail, then you need to carefully downshift until you can get to first. Do these Toyotas also have Handbrakes that are operated by computer?????