HybridZ

Roll cage for 280z

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what you are saying is that the form, fit and function of the S&W cage is not satisfatory.

And required a good bit of modifying to get to fit properly.

Unless you have the ability to do some fabrication, stay away from this kit?

No not really. The kit was for a 240z and there are some differences in the structure of the car. The kit is very doable, just not for the basic tooled person. Unless you have some mad fabing skills and lots of time. I would not recomend trying this. As for putting in a 240z where is belongs, it would have more than likely went a lot easier.

I do not regret doing it, I would do it again if I needed to.

I'm not liking how far away the main hoop is from the side of the car with that cage.

That is why I am not recomending using this idea of using the 240z cage in a 280z. It is not an exact fit. Jegs has listings for some cages but I do not know anything about them.

That is why I am not recomending using this idea of using the 240z cage in a 280z. It is not an exact fit. Jegs has listings for some cages but I do not know anything about them.

It's not that it was designed for a 240z, but that its just a cheap poorly thought out main hoop, meant to be sold to people who don't know better. (not trying to insult you, but it is, what it is) the 24/6/80z coupes are all the same dimensionally.

It's not that it was designed for a 240z, but that its just a cheap poorly thought out main hoop, meant to be sold to people who don't know better. (not trying to insult you, but it is, what it is) the 24/6/80z coupes are all the same dimensionally.

+1

Just reinforcing my earlier comments on having a shop build one to correct safety and driver specifications :)

Also it helps to have the roll bar attach to the frame in the back.

The main hoop is connected to the main rails as well as the seatbelt boxes. And as far as I can tell the seatbelt boxes are part of the structure that the outer rear subframe is connected to. The short inner bars that go behind the seat to the tunnel are connected to the inner subframe mounts. The rear bars are at a slight angle because of the towers and the pads are welded to the chassis channel that go to the rear mustache bar. The door bars are connected to the front frame rail. The only change I am going to make is I am going to add a piece of flat steel from the front pads over to the tunnel where the under carraige support runs along the tunnel for added overall stiffness. For what money was spent, I got what I paid for. As I said and others also, spend the money and have one built for the car for a much safer and better looking bar.

Edited by rx8ss

Yeah the rear bars shoudl not extended past the rear wheel wells. although its too late now, im sure itll still pass tech but next time brace the cage to the strut towers. you can still run a bar from the main hoop to the front of the strut towers for some rigidity increase.

• 1 year later...

I went ahead and ordered the S&W 8 point for the 240z. We shall see if I can get it to fit in the 280z since it does not look as though anyone has tried this before.

Did you have any issues with the S&W cage? My roll bar seems to wide 48" and the top hoop is 38"w not 40"w lke the pdf they sent stated. Do you have a pdf you can send? bobpegg0@gmail.com

Thanks

Edited by pegg

• 2 years later...

I def didn't see this thread but I am in a part of the country that makes it difficult to get to a fab shop. I was already planning on modding my s&w tool bar to have the rear bars go to the towers and use the door bars to cross between the rear struts if long enough.

Sorry for bringing an old thread back from the dead...