HybridZ

looking for cam replacement help!

aceofspades

So my cam oiler tube took a dump and started to eat away at a lobe on the cam.

The cam I have now is the datsun comp C cam.

I would like some thing close or simple to replace it with. Maybe a little gain but not a ton.

Motor is an early 260 which was rebuilt at some point. Motor is to clean in the head and paint on the block.

any help would be great!

So my cam oiler tube took a dump and started to eat away at a lobe on the cam.

The cam I have now is the datsun comp C cam.

I would like some thing close or simple to replace it with. Maybe a little gain but not a ton.

Motor is an early 260 which was rebuilt at some point. Motor is to clean in the head and paint on the block.

any help would be great!

Contact Ron Iskendarian at ISKY Cams http://www.iskycams.com/ , they can re-grind that factory billet to whatever your heart desires.cool.gif

Junkyard, or risk getting a soft core. A regrind on a Japan core makes good sense, as does finding a replacement Japan cam.

That Nissan C grind cam is still tiny, and you're going to have to set up the lash pads anyway, so why not get something under .450" lift (to work with stock springs and retainers), about 108-110 LSA, and 270-280 degrees advertised duration? You can get that japan core reground, and regrind the rockers, 120$ or so shipped for the cam and 4$ per each rocker by Delta Camshaft in Tacoma, as opposed to 14$ each rocker new, Or one of the MSA cam kits, or talk to Isky or CompCams, Or, Or.

You should change the rocker arms or have the reground, wether or not you go with a new cam or a regrind.

Edited by Xnke

Yeah, but you're getting a soft CWC core, and then he's got a fairly decent chance of ending up right back where he started. Still have to replace the rocker arms anyway, or at least get them resurfaced.

Yeah, but you're getting a soft CWC core, and then he's got a fairly decent chance of ending up right back where he started. Still have to replace the rocker arms anyway, or at least get them resurfaced.

I guess I hadn't heard of this being reporting on Isky cams. They generally make a good product - if you're that worried about getting a soft core, get it nitrided. Isky _might_ even offer this as an option. Problem solved.

Here's a link to a short article about the process (btw, note that we aren't the only ones seeing problems with "soft cores")

http://www.lsxtv.com/forum/camshaft-technology-what-nitriding-process-1033.html

Edited by TimZ

Isky was using CWC cores, unless you sent in your old japan core to be reground. Has been using CWC for at least 5 years, now, unless something has recently changed.

That's the only reason I warned about the soft core.

If you talk to Ron, he will tell you 'if you have a JAPAN CORE send it in, it's better than what is available as new'

Now, I want to know why the guy said 'not a regrind'... as the Nissan Comp Cam he currently has is....well....

Nothing different from a regrind from one on a new billet save for the possible base circle. And if the grinder puts hardfacing onto the lobes before grinding chances are good you are getting better than a grind on a New CWC Billet.

I'm just curious why he doesn't want a regrind. The logic behind it, if there is any.

If you talk to Ron, he will tell you 'if you have a JAPAN CORE send it in, it's better than what is available as new'

Now, I want to know why the guy said 'not a regrind'... as the Nissan Comp Cam he currently has is....well....

Nothing different from a regrind from one on a new billet save for the possible base circle. And if the grinder puts hardfacing onto the lobes before grinding chances are good you are getting better than a grind on a New CWC Billet.

I'm just curious why he doesn't want a regrind. The logic behind it, if there is any.

Right on Tony! Ron will also tell you all about ZDDP, and what brands of oil and or suppliments to use biggrin.gif

You call and talk to the cam grinder, and tell them what you want. They will make a recommendation based on driving type, engine type, usage, and other stuff.

Then you read the stickies here on how to setup and run in your new cam, with your new or reground rocker arms, and your measured-for lash pads.