HybridZ

280zx distributor and MSD-6A without E12-80?

I've found phrases in several threads from several forums that indicate that it may be possible to run (in a '72 240z) a 280zx D6K8 distributor in conjunction with a MSD-6A (or equivalent) without any igniter module on the distributor. Instead the pickup coil wires can be run directly into the control box and it's all good. Has anyone done this? If this can in fact be done, I'm very interested in this method. Thanks all.

I've found phrases in several threads from several forums that indicate that it may be possible to run (in a '72 240z) a 280zx D6K8 distributor in conjunction with a MSD-6A (or equivalent) without any igniter module on the distributor. Instead the pickup coil wires can be run directly into the control box and it's all good. Has anyone done this? If this can in fact be done, I'm very interested in this method. Thanks all.

Nope. Doesn't work. Your car will explode in a fireball if you try it.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/77189-is-the-e12-80-module-required-with-msd-6al/page__p__734547__hl__msd%206al%20module__fromsearch__1entry734547

Edited by JMortensen

Thank you, gentlemen. Jmortensen has put up with the same question from me on two forums now, but I promise I'll not ask again. Thanks for the link you put up, Jm, my primitive analog brain (I'm a mechanical engineer, I can't help it) isn't happy without very straight forward binary answers. That was exactly what I needed. Thanks again!!

p.s. - if my car explodes in a fireball and no one's around to see it, will it still go snap-crackle-pop?

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread: 

From the NA ZX Dizzy without Module there is a Red / Green Pigtail.

The input to the MSD is a Green / Violet pigtail.

Tossed a coin and wired:

Dizzy Red-to-MSD Green

DIzzy Green-to- MSD Violet.

Hit the button and fired right up.  TIming way off but tach worked fine.

I've read some places that it doesn't matter which wire goes to which wire, and other posts say the polarity can mess stuff up.

Everyone seems to agree that the Dizzy R/G go to the MSD G/V but not many posts make it clear in which order.

Edited by duragg

If the wires are backwards it will run very poorly. I wired mine backwards at first because both wires from my distributor look purple. I could not tell a difference. After a few phone calls to MSD they hit on this. I reversed the wires and all was well.

Dizzy Red-to-MSD Green

DIzzy Green-to- MSD Violet.

Starts and idles perfectly and seems to run good.

But Snap-on (evil dial-back light) timing indicates funky to be about +30 degrees (36 idle and 60+ all in).

Reversed:

Dizzy Red-to-MSD Violet

DIzzy Green-to- MSD Green

Starts crappily, idles lunky, spits and barks at higher rpm

But Snap-on (evil dial-back light) timing indicates timin just right where I put it staticly (15 Initial / 36 higher rpm).

Previous to installing I pulled VC, verified TDC and put the bar-left-of-Notch and crank pulley mark lined up proper.

Guess I should double check with a regular dumbass timing light.

Final config:

Dizzy Red-to-MSD Violet

DIzzy Green-to- MSD Green

Dicked around with timing and got it squared away.

Snap-on dial-back timing light seemed to work fine and agreed with crappy Harbor Freight non-adjustable light.

Are you still at 36 static and 60+ all in? 

No, It never really was there.

With the mag pickup wires hooked up backwards in reverse polarity the timing shows funky numbers.

Once polarity was corrected to Green to Green, Red to Violet the timing was where I set it statically at +15 / +35.

If you use a ZX distributor with the ignition module (black box) intact, aren't you using a module to trigger a module?  Instead of the sinusoidal signal, the output would be square. 

You should be able to take the ZX module off and just use the wires inside from the magnetic pickup, if i understand the MSD instructions correctly.

Wondering.  I've never used an MSD but it's tempting, to try to smooth out the idle a bit.

I removed the module and trigger directly to the MSD. 

Smoother idle?  Ya, maybe.  Seems to start better for sure (I have triples).

They stabilize at whatever RPM they feel like being at that particular moment much more quickly.

I had a thread a year or two ago about unstable timing indications.

With this new ZX Dizzy, and the modules the timing indications are rock steady as viewed from two different timing lights.