HybridZ

Need ideas for a progressive throttle on Derek's EFI manifold

Derek

You can minimize, or even negate motor/throttle position movement by extending the link from the bellcrank to the butterfly arms. This can be done by connecting at the #3 or #4 TB rather than the #6. Simple trig, lengthen the "a" side and reduce the COS error.

There ya go - much simpler and more elegant than what I was thinking of, plus it should only take a few minutes to implement.

Cos error.... Damn, we DO use that math! :blink:

I'll never forget working a summer job for a brilliant Chemical Engineer, PE, PhD, Professor Emeritus at MSU...we were cutting down some tall trees at his lakeside retreat one weekend. He says "How tall do you figure these things have gotten, do you think they will reach the house?"

So I pace off a distance, turn around, move my arm and sight along it, and state "82 feet Tall"

He looked at me, and with a scoffing tone said "Well, Hercules, why do you say 82 feet?"

"My pace is 11 for 30 feet, I walked out till I got a 45 degree angle, sighted to the top of the tree, calculated my shoulder is 5 feet tall and the Tan45=1, so that makes a right triangle with two equal sides so add the distance from my feet to the last angle being about 5 feet, and the last angle is 82 feet from the base."

His shoulders slumped and he just looked at me and said "I'm an engineer, I know that! Why that didn't occur to me puzzles me."

Dropped it with no cares, as the house was 90 feet in any direction from the base of the tree. The tallest point was 7'9" from the house. I was off by 3"! Yes, the FIRST thing he did was take out the tape measure and check the clearance from the house. He just kept shaking his head. Coolest guy in the world to work for as a summer job.

After that little incident, I got the key to the gate, the Chris Craft, and the Beer Cooler :)

Math: "It comes in handy once and a while!" :P

Edited by Tony D

His shoulders slumped and he just looked at me and said "I'm an engineer, I know that! Why that didn't occur to me puzzles me."

Good story, Tony - and this was exactly what I said when I read Dan's post above. :mrgreen:

Doc O was a great guy, and a big reason I decided to do what I ended up doing.

Guy was old, like 65, big as a bear. Had cancer snips from his nose and ears from spending so much time on the lake.

Always came back with a story from the prior week's consultations. He did 'neat things' like design a device to walk down the legs of oil platforms in the gulf. It used triplex pumps to pressurize the water into high pressure jets to blast the corrosion off the legs down to bare metal. His biggest challenge was working up the compound to inject into the water that, when exposed to saltwater and bare metal, had an affinity to the bare metal and would coat it like paint when combining with the saltwater.

He brought back lengths of pipe from that job, and had me sink them to a specific depth around his gate because he had a suspicion that a particular make/model of car kept backing into and ruining his gate. Sunk those posts to allow the rear axle to slip over, but then catch when run the other way. It worked. One morning a 67 Impala was dug into a hole with the axle half ripped-out from it. "This is what happens when you repeatedly mess with an Engineer's Gate" is what he told the guy! :lol:

Back in the 60's he sued the gypsum company on the bay and went to MI supreme court to regulate the loading hours of their ships. They contended their company was there before any residents were there. They were wrong. He had his place there in the early 40's, before their dock came in in the mid 50's. Recently, the local town council allowed different loading hours after the company talking heads appeared in front of them using the same argument. I was shocked to find out old timers remembered the Doc when they used his MI Supreme Court Case to get the loading hours put back to where they were originally. Guess if you wait long enough.... :angry: He was a real character. Had free cable TV in every room of the cabin, AND the garage, PLUS weather-resistant cable connections on the deck, and near the beach by the dock. That was because he owned from US23 down to the lake, and the cable company HAD to cross his property to service those south of him. They sent a letter for free access 'in perpetuity' Doc Responded with a letter saying he got as many connections, and all services offered by the company free of charge, and for all subsequent owners, lessors, and heirs of his property 'in perpetuity'... All I can think now is 'man that's the ultimate cable modem / playboy channel beach-house! :lol:

Had the first 50HP Mercury Outboard ever released to the public, serial number 1 or 2. Was on that Chris-Craft. Man, about this time of the year(first weekend in April, usually Easter Weekend) we would be out in the water of Lake Huron putting in his 125 foot dock...

Yes, it was as cold as you think it would be at that time in Tawas Bay! Three years I put that thing in the water in Easter, and three years I took it out the last weekend before Bowhunting Season Started (Michiganders know when that day is....) Yes, the water was as cols as you think it would be at that time of the year as well...

I digress, but as you guess, he really made an impression on me. The first engineer I dealt with that wasn't behind a drawing board all day, or in an office all the time. He went into the field and solved problems. And that was SOOOO cool!

Now, what the hell did he start with me? 106 Days in the USA last year.... :lol:

Edited by Tony D

Well, he did have that escape cottage on the lake, with the Chris Craft...

Guess he was doing O.K., since he got it back from his second wife after the divorce...

If THAT doesn't take decent income, I don't know what does! :lol:

Ok I'm a little confused.

Dan says I should reduce my COS error by extending the link from the firewall to the butterflies.

Tony seems to be saying I should buy a house on the lake and get an old Chris Craft.

Unfortunately in this economy I can only afford Dan's idea so I ordered up a length of hex aluminum to make a longer link.

Derek

Dan says I should reduce my COS error by extending the link from the firewall to the butterflies.

Tony seems to be saying I should buy a house on the lake and get an old Chris Craft.

Unfortunately in this economy I can only afford Dan's idea so I ordered up a length of hex aluminum to make a longer link.

Derek

Well, it is a buyer's market here in Michigan right now...

Derek

That has got to be the funniest way of stating your thread has been jacked!!! Derek you have great sense of humor, thanks!

That has got to be the funniest way of stating your thread has been jacked!!!  Derek you have great sense of humor, thanks!

I don't think it was a hijack. The boat and lake would have a calming affect which would allow me to have a better feel for the throttle. 

Derek

The Chris Craft has elaborate bellcrank linkages as well. It was directly related, but I edited that part out since it was incongruent in my idol worship of Dr. O.

The inference to be drawn was get a divorce, remarry a trophy wife, and ALSO get a place on the lake to relax with a bellcrank-actuated Chris-Craft Vintage Wood Hulled Boat.

You have to read closely to pick up the genius in some of my posts. Like looking at photos in the How to Modify Book, the answers are right before you, but I can only present the water to the horses....it is up to them to sniff and lick accordingly... :P

What did I start? Honest Derek, I was only trying to to help.

It is thread jacking. Tony gets away with it because he's so entertaining. Although, I do wonder what he's "sniffing and licking". :blink:

And just for the record: I married my trophy wife 27 years ago. I don't have a wooden Chris Craft or live on a lake. But I do have a plastic triamaran (two actualy) and I live near a river.

What did I start? Honest Derek, I was only trying to to help.

It is thread jacking. Tony gets away with it because he's so entertaining. Although, I do wonder what he's "sniffing and licking". :blink:

And just for the record: I married my trophy wife 27 years ago. I don't have a wooden Chris Craft or live on a lake. But I do have a plastic triamaran (two actualy) and I live near a river.

Yes....but do you have a Dennis the menace visiting you???;)