HybridZ

DSLR makes it to mainstream TV

cygnusx1

Being a Canon DSLR user, and photography/video enthusiast, I found this interesting.  Could be a marketing ploy, but still interesting.

"House' season finale filmed withCanon 5D Mark II

A Canon 5D Mark II hasbecome the first video-capable DSLR to film a whole episode of a US primetimeseries. Greg Yaitanes, director of FOX broadcasting company's medical dramaseries 'House', used the camera, a selection of Canon's prime lenses and, the24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses to shoot its season finale. Speaking via Twitter,he said that this was to achieve a shallow depth of field and a 'richer look'.He also said he 'feels it’s the future'."

canon_5d_mark_ii_400pix3.jpg?w=300&h=273

Edited by cygnusx1

When's the finale? I'd be interested in seeing some snippets.

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised. I figured that a good video camera would always beat out a DSLR. Even the Mark II is significantly cheaper than any video camera (digital or not) than anything they're using for national broadcast TV. But it's a neat idea, and it's fun to see that someone is brave enough to think differently.

• 1 month later...

I ran into a daily news shooter at a story last year and he was shooting with that camera. Said it shot nice video, but audio sucked. So I assume House was using data recorders for the audio. We just bought a Sony NX5U, which is a nice ENG camera and all that's needed for web only video. For our purposes (ENG and commercial video), I can't imagine ever using a DSLR.

As far as I could tell, there was not one mention of Canon in the credits, nor were there any commercials for Canon during the episode.  I found out about the use of the DSLR for fiilming the episode, by hanging out on a photography forum.  I think I still have my Kodachrome, Mamma didn't take it.  

Edited by cygnusx1

Tony, just don't see the point. When I'm on a shoot, commercial or ENG, my Rebel XT is in my camera bag...if I think I need some high res stills I whip it out. Otherwise I pull stills from the video. Simple and foolproof and my audio's always good. And did I mention cheap?

Never saw the logic for a Spork, got a fork, got a spoon, why on earth combine them?

Yet the unholy merger happened, and it's out there to this day.

I remember the day the spork was introduced at school.

Indeed it was a black day for the old-school Fork and Spoon Maker's Guild...

And like Kodachrome, many never thought it would go away, but they stopped production.

If you have it, shoot it, and send it in. There are only two labs left processing it, and when the last commercial production is ended, they won't be keeping that process going.

"So the Maples formed a union, and demanded equal rights... they said the oaks are much to greedy, we will MAKE them give us light!" B)

"So the Maples formed a union, and demanded equal rights... they said the oaks are much to greedy, we will MAKE them give us light!" B)

I was just listening to that song to... :D

I'm still on the fence about using a DSLR as a video camera though, I'm sure they can capture some good video but it just doesn't feel right when doing it.

I was in the same mindset as you for a good deal time hoov. But look at it like we see cell phones now.

do you need a camera on your phone? if you want to take a photo of something use a camera instead.

do you need e-mail on your phone? lappy is better

internets? lappy is better

video? video recorder

GPS/maps? use a fold-out

games? get a portable, console, or lappy.

while the phone doesnt do any of these exceptionally well compared to the products that they replace, it is still a really nice feature to have to lessen the load that you carry around with you.

So apply it to the DSLR, sure it will not give you as many features as a traditional video camera, but it is a nice feature to have as a supplement to just taking photographs.

You are one crazy-assed ole coot...

quote name='Tony D' date='23 May 2010 - 02:17 AM' timestamp='1274602635' post='870280']

Never saw the logic for a Spork, got a fork, got a spoon, why on earth combine them?

Yet the unholy merger happened, and it's out there to this day.

I remember the day the spork was introduced at school.

Indeed it was a black day for the old-school Fork and Spoon Maker's Guild...

And like Kodachrome, many never thought it would go away, but they stopped production.

If you have it, shoot it, and send it in. There are only two labs left processing it, and when the last commercial production is ended, they won't be keeping that process going.