HybridZ

3M DINOC experience?

PHANTOM-POWER

• 1 month later...

Hi just wondering if anyone has any experience with 3m Dinoc

I'm thinking about using it to recover my dash.

Do you know if it is pliable enough to form around the gauges

It's very common in fake carbon fiber but it is available in black leather.

Ahmed

I haven't personally used it, but my cousin did in his FX35

CLICK FOR LINK

Look at the 5th picture down.

It is good stuff, but I don't think it will "cover" dash cracks only mask it.

As in being pliable, I was told that a heat gun works wonders in manipulating the DINOC.

I've seen some installation videos on YouTube, since I first posted this thread. It looks like the material is very pliable and should conform to the shape of the dash very well with the aid of a heat gun. I am in the process of filling the cracks in my dash with a bumper repair kit, as described in another thread, only instead of using the textured paint as a final finish, I will be using the DI-NOC.

Ahmed.

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen a few Audis come in to the shop i work at with this stuff on them...does not look bad at all....just wondering how it hold up to sun, seen 7 years advertised... im watching this thread for sure!

Ebay has this stuff for about $50 for 2'x4' sheet...may be tempted to pick some up

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

I ran across this thread a while back;

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479230

…which got the attention of my inner rice and I ordered a 28”x48” sheet to use sparingly in my M3, (cover the bits of the interior) and a possibly a few other gadgets around the shop such as light switch plates, etc.

Starting looking over the S30 for possible uses, center dash panel, bits of the center console etc. I think the entire dash would be a bit much, though on the 260-260 dash going two tone with the lip as the split, using the black, (421) and Graphite, (420) might look pretty good if the rest of the interior is tastefully/cleanly customized to complement the faux Carbon fiber dash. :wink:

This site is chocked full of cool wild ideas from Key fobs to refrigerators, Laptops and gaming consoles to cel phones, hood & roof covering to fully wrapping the exterior of a car! :blink:

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/gallery/

Available colors;

3m-dinoc-carbon-fiber-colors.jpg

Switch plate, (not mine);

featured_lightswitch.jpg

E36 M3 before and after, (not mine)

dsc03323.jpg

sdc13094e.jpg

Tastefully done BMW E46;

0113001003.jpg

• Administrators

Today I tried a small piece, covered the switch plate for my scratch built LSx PCM Desktop Tuning bench. Aesthetically it's far from perfect but is OK, the tuning bench functions awesome. :wink:

Neat stuff, very thin, approx as thick as one or two pieces of paper. It is sticky back, a little heat forms it tightly to compound curves. FOr complex shapes, care must be exercised when applying it, also to not use too much heat. A hair dryer is adequate, heat gun on high is too hot. It cuts really easily, so easy it seems it would tear easily but seems to be fairly strong.

Bch1.jpg

Bch2.jpg

Bench0.jpg

It will show every imperfection/crack in the dash. I did it to my roof on my BMW and it was a HUGE PITA. With 2 people, it took 5-6 hours and it still has lots of little bubbles. I don't know if I would do it again. It's extremely hard to work with. I would think that a dash would be even harder with all of the funky angles and bends.

Can't hurt to try though...

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked some of this stuff up and i must say, im super impressed by the quality. It's pretty hard to work with too, I tried wrapping a few complex objects and ended up totally ruining it. Having a heat gun definitely helps, makes it conform a little better.

Ill throw some photos up if I actually successfully wrap something. You guys should look into getting some, either the carbon or the flat black.