HybridZ

side drafts

rayaapp2

SU replacement

MCHH%2045%201.jpg

MCHH%2045%202.jpg

45mm side draft Webers. MCHH 45

Car runs great, significant improvement over down draft webers, and the jets are obviously to big for the L28 currently. Just slapped them on as they were out of the box as far as the carbs are concerned. Custom linkages and all that. BTW Less was spent on purchasing these and making custom parts than we would have spent @ ZTherapy. Not knocking his products just referencing price ranges.

PS Camera Phone pictures are not the best. I will update these later.

CHEERS

Edited by rayaapp2

I think the group is going to need a lot more info on these...i.e. where did you get them, how did they bolt-up (adaptor?), etc. Very interesting and always good to see a different option. I think you need to get to a dyno ASAP! Quick google search revealed these are common for MG owners?

Dyno is probably not going to happen. Not for this car.

Anyway. The carbs are a bolt on. That is if you buy the kit. The kit is designed for a TR6 otherwise known as the TR 250 Triumph. The kit comes with SU adapter plates that work on the 240Z or 2000 roadster. Some of the linkage works, but most of it is custom and so are the mounts for the linkage. The kit includes ram horns and a set of K&N air cleaners for options.

The L28 loves the larger carbs.

The owner of the car works in a machine shop and is considering producing the linkage/carb kits as a package with a competitive price. Im not sure how that would pan out, but its cool to see another option.

Ray

I have serious doubts you could fit 6 of these in that space.

You would spend less on a used triple setup than 6 45 side drafts anyway.

It was less than $600 for this setup and that beats out sending off his old SU carbs and waiting to have them rebuilt for over $600.

Its a nice alternative to have. And they provide instant drivability with little to no maintenance. They seem to run a bit rich at/off idle out of the box. He needs to pop them open and install smaller jets. Top end feels great.

This is a pretty neat idea. If these cars are used on the TR6 I would think they should be a good match to the L28 after some tuning.

Is this the kit you were reffering to: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Weber-45-MCHH-Carburetor/dp/B0036Z10FU

If those adapters match our twin SU manifold it should be ridiculously easy to bolt this up. I guess linkage would be the only issue but it shouldnt be too hard to figure something out. If that kit works that is one heck of a deal for upgrading our fuel system...

Post more pics of video if you get a chance ;)

I'm seriously considering switching my 4 barrel to this setup, I still have my SU manifold and everything...

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

This is a pretty neat idea. If these cars are used on the TR6 I would think they should be a good match to the L28 after some tuning.

Is this the kit you were reffering to: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Weber-45-MCHH-Carburetor/dp/B0036Z10FU

If those adapters match our twin SU manifold it should be ridiculously easy to bolt this up. I guess linkage would be the only issue but it shouldnt be too hard to figure something out. If that kit works that is one heck of a deal for upgrading our fuel system...

Post more pics of video if you get a chance ;)

I'm seriously considering switching my 4 barrel to this setup, I still have my SU manifold and everything...

Thats the kit. At that same price they threw in the air horns in my original pictures. The kit is supplied with SAE bolts. Replace those bolts with metric and fab the linkage up. Take a close look at the linkage and linkage mounts that my friend fabed up. The mounts are aluminum with brass bushings on nickle plated rods all connected together with heim joints.

If I didnt already have a good set of SU's on my car I'd be all over these. Take that price though and go look up single MCHH 45 carbs. You can buy 1 carb for $200. That kit sells both carbs, 2 K&N air cleaners, the air horns, the adpater plates, choke cable, bolts, and the TR linkages for $100 more.

Interesting setup, and price. I would be interested in more detail and photos of the choke cable setup and installation as well as the linkage setup. It looks like it is attached to the heat shield under the carbs. Did he use the linkage mounts from the kit, or make his own from other parts?

There is also a Mikuini Flat-Slide carburettor that is similarly sized, but without the butterfly air restriction. That is the one that guys in Japan are using as triple replacements. No reason one wouldn't work to replace a single SU similarly.

Used on Harleys as well...

• 2 months later...