HybridZ

280ZX Oil Pan - any Baffles?

I bought a 240Z Track Car, with a 280ZX turbo motor a couple of months back. It has the stock turbo oil pan in it. I was kind of surprised that it had a stock oil pan as a purpose built track car. Does the turbo pan have any type of baffles in it to keep the oil near the pick up? I tried a search, but could not find an answer.

I have an AZ ZCar aluminum pan that I am thinking about putting on there. I have been pretty busy lately, so if the stock pan has some baffling in it, I might wait a while.

thanks,

Marty

I bought a 240Z Track Car, with a 280ZX turbo motor a couple of months back. It has the stock turbo oil pan in it. I was kind of surprised that it had a stock oil pan as a purpose built track car. Does the turbo pan have any type of baffles in it to keep the oil near the pick up? I tried a search, but could not find an answer.

I have an AZ ZCar aluminum pan that I am thinking about putting on there. I have been pretty busy lately, so if the stock pan has some baffling in it, I might wait a while.

thanks,

Marty

No stock L28 pan has any baffles. Just a windage tray, that's it.

You need to get the comp pan if you want to save your engine. That was one of the first things I noticed with my car when it was under heavy acceleration. The oil pressure would fluxiate, not good at all.

The L24e front sump pan has the windage piece and a single strip of about 45 degrees from vertical right where the pan transitions from sump to the flat portion.

I'm swapping short blocks today and will confirm though this information probably does no good in this scenario.

You need to get the comp pan if you want to save your engine. That was one of the first things I noticed with my car when it was under heavy acceleration. The oil pressure would fluxiate, not good at all.

Not only you .. i noticed it followed by a nice loud rod knock ... after two laps and then agian after 20laps with another engine its the sweeping right handers on slicks (over 60 mph breaking from 140 mph) that kill your bearings FAST