HybridZ

TurboHLS30's '75 280z

Whats up everyone my names Shane and this has been my project for about a year now. First off let me tell you that I am 16 and I have had this car since I was 15. I bought this car for $1800 of my own money. There's no rich mommy and daddy thing going on here. So now for the car she's a Datsun 280z made in January of '75. Right now it has a 2.4 straight 6 backed by a 280zxt 5 speed with triple Mikuni's and a blowthru turbo setup. The Mikuni's are 40mm and the turbo is a T04B. Once I get this setup going I'm planning on rocking it like this until I get bored then I am putting a 2jz-gte in it. As she sits now she is sitting on 240z suspension with unknown lowering springs. I think the drop is a 2.5" drop because it sits pretty low. Well here are the pics and before you start commenting I know it needs paint LOL.

When I first got her

1z23qiw.jpg

xwnih.jpg

27ynxac.jpg

All the junk in her trunk

t9f8n8.jpg

After the junk in her trunk was cleaned out and I rustoleum'd the trunk area and put the stock carpet back in

10h2bfs.jpg

3357exj.jpg

5eescx.jpg

240z seats installed

33tt18l.jpg

After the 240z suspension and lowering springs

ouo12f.jpg

ap24n.jpg

2vcjn8k.jpg

Now for the motor:

2v2a7m9.jpg

2qda9dt.jpg

Intercooler setup:

9vk3rb.jpg

And to finish it all off

hvuo3b.jpg

Me pretending to drive it. I can't wait til it's finished.

Edited by turboHLS30

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Two80z and UofA, and to answer your question Two80z4me, there's nothing wrong with it (motor wise) now body wise there's a couple things, the poor thing is ready for paint, the only cancerous rust is a hole that is the size of an infants wrist, the PO did a horrible job at shaving the side lights, and the fenders need to be rolled a bit. I need to buy a gas tank and throttle linkage to get the car running without my homemade gatorade bottle gas tank (ghetto rigged). Then the scariest thing that I am afraid to tackle, the wiring harness that comes through the firewall on the passenger side had a short somewhere and burnt most of the wires so I have to either replace the whole thing or repair the one that's there. So the list isn't that big LOL

Hey, we all had to start some where! I think its looking good for you so far @ 16. My 'ol Z looked pretty much like yours at one time. Matter of fact, I had the same "Cartech" set up at one time (I had ITB's though instead of carbs).

Just concentrate on getting it road worthy first, before looks.... :2thumbs:

Sweet man. I got my 75' 280z when I was 17 and worked on it for a long time. It still looked like hell when I got it running, but she ran with the best of em. Keep in mind that it dont matter how cool your car looks, if its still sitting in the garage not running then whats the point :P By the way, sweet engine setup you got there, should run great. Keep us posted.

Keep up the good work.Slow but surely you`ll get it done,and those thoughts that were going through your mind as you sat there in your Z breaking through the BOOOST ZONE will become a reality.

Edited by PR280z

Update: Well today I didn't have drivers ed and I was home bored so I decided to work on the Z. I found some 180 grit sandpaper and went to work. I did it piece by piece so far. Then I had a quart of gloss black rustoleum that I used to cover up the exposed metal. So far I have half of the hood done and half of the roof (the car is in a one car garage so I'm not working with much space). So the plans for tomorrow is to pull it outside and finish the hood and roof, then move on to the rear quarters. I will post pics up tomorrow of my progress. Oh and BTW always wear a respirator because it sucks if you don't. I just learned the hard way.

As of right now which is 4:52 A.M., the car is completely painted. So now I have pulled off an all nighter with my bro to get this car painted. No once the sun comes up I'm going to push the car outside and start wet sanding. Earlier today, me and my 13 year old bro went outside and started sanding the driver side. My bro is also into cars and he wants a 510 soon so that he can be like me. Also one thing that got me in a happy mood was when I was in the garage sanding the car, my 12 year old sister walks in and starts begging to help me. So I said yes and I gave her a little job while I take a break. About 20 mins. later I come back and she has the whole pass. side sanded and smoother than a babies bottom. So I think I have achieved getting my sister into cars. . I'm so proud of my siblings. Will have some pics up soon.

Ok here's the pics, and before you start posting, I know that I'm chunky but the ladies love it LOL

This was right after I was done experimenting to see how it looked.

20hx1q9.jpg

986mtt.jpg

70z288.jpg

11ipv6b.jpg

Me and my bro prepping the fender and door

e0mvqv.jpg

2qx9mrc.jpg

k0r612.jpg

2gvmyl4.jpg

2ppg6r7.jpg

Now prepping the pass. side. The flash lit up all the paint dust in the air LOL

11tmo9i.jpg

nbpsed.jpg

My little sis getting in on the action

29msxg7.jpg

vwskms.jpg

Me wet sanding the hood

2w5lyet.jpg

The finished product of the all nighter

2zxz2qh.jpg

28i510x.jpg

e9f77a.jpg

Well I just went to get my gas tank this morning the best part is that I got it for free. So I am gonna go to church and on the way home pick up a fuel pump, and lines, then get to work on installing it. So hopefully I get a video of it running soon. Man I am stoked. SPECIAL THANKS TO FHPTOM for coming up to Daytona at 6:30 in the morning and giving me a free gas tank.

Oh and I got my first taste of boost last night. My dad's friend just bought a 94 Toyota Supra with a 4" thick FMIC, Greddy blow off valve, and a bunch of other stuff. It was raining and we were making a beverage run. When I stomped on it, it broke the wheels loose and I got out of it. I had the biggest smile on my face I have ever had. Can't wait for my car to get going.

Just finished installing the gas tank. Tomorrow I'm gonna go buy a fuel pump, about 10 feet of fuel line, and a filter and get everything plumbed. I will have some pics tomorrow. Oh and just to let everyone know I am selling my other project ( My '72 Suburban) so that I can fund this project. I have it up for sale on a couple sites but word goes around faster by mouth so let anyone you know, know that there is one for sale. Here is the link to the ebay auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180529566180&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

• 2 weeks later...

Well I bought a harness because my old one shorted out and got all burnt up. So I payed 48 bucks for it shipped to my door. I also purchased an Ignition lock w/ a key because the PO can't find the keys. I got that for 31 bucks shipped. Also a family friend is giving me a free 2jz long block with no tranny for free I just have to drive down to Ft. Lauderdale to pick it up. So my new plan of action is to slowly build up the 2jz while I play with this motor. Then when I'm done with the 2jz and have everything to swap it in, I will swap motors. Today I decided that I'm going to autocross the car until the 2jz is done. I want to be competitive but I really want to do it for the experience and fun, so I don't care if I'm competitive or not. I have a list of 17 little things to get the car running and driving. Well I'll post some pics when my ignition and harness get here.