HybridZ

TurboHLS30's '75 280z

Went out to the junkyard today and found a '80's Maxima and I'm going to try to get the rear caliper brakets off tomorrow. Why are these brakets important? They are what I need to convert to disks in the rear. It still has the complete motor also so I'm going to dee what I can grab off of it tomorrow. I also saw a 300zx (Z32) out there with a complete motor and transmission and suspension. I want to get the calipers off of that for the front brake and then I'm pretty sure I'll be set for brakes.

Also got a package deal on 3 brand new head gaskets and 2 intake/exhaust gaskets for $55 shipped

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my turbo intake manifold/throttle body/injectors/turbo distributor today cool.gif Now I just have to go pick up my motor tomorrow and pay for the Z31 ECU and harness, and I should have the complete swap put together. This week I'm going to work on getting the motor in the Z out and get the head gasket and trans on the new motor. I have a feeling that I'm still going to be able to compete in the GRM $2011 Challenge biggrin.gif

Thanks, today I removed the hood and started removing the suspension so that I can swap the springs and paint the suspension parts. I removed the driveshaft also, but I'm going to stop there because I want to get the other motor together so that as soon as I pull the motor I can put the other in. There's a powder coating place down the street from where the Z is and I'm going to see how much it would be to powder coat the manifold, valve cover, suspension stuff, and maybe the wheels. More to come soon.<BR clear=all>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought some parts, but can't install them because I'm on vacation in the Virgin Islands :D

removed quoted pictures

Nice pics. St. John?

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Removed quoted pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what she looks like now. I'm currently cleaning up the interior and running any wires that need to be run so that I don't have to rip the interior apart again. I'm hoping to get a Sparco seat off of my friend, it's the only seat I've sat in that is wide enough to fit me (I'm 5' 10" ~230lbs) I've gotten my Megasquirt, but I'm trying to figure out what block/head combination I want to run. I really want to get BluDestiny's L28et but my dad is iffy about the fact that it has a blown head gasket. I found a P90a head locally for $125, and a complete L28e out of an '83 280zx. I was thinking of either putting the P90a head on either my L24 block, or put it on top of the L28e, but what do you guys think? Really and truly I'd like to have all 3 options so that I have back-ups. I also have some old pics I posted up, but now they're blown up so you can see them better.

Smoked tail light

2dt8z7s.jpg

Out with the old sound deadner

1zbyv02.jpg

2chb5fk.jpg

Before I sold the triples :'( Repainted VC/Turbo kit

1fvg34.jpg

vpj7eg.jpg

Getting stripped down

6jklqc.jpg

Getting ready to pulll the suspension to swap the springs

34go8zt.jpg

When we moved the shop, I had to throw everything for the Z inside. I still haven't gotten a chance to clean her out

juwh78.jpg

Peep the grenade shift knob :D

29w73fd.jpg

I have everything but the motor, and Pallnet fuel rail for the swap. I finished up fixing the wiring harness yesterday, now I just have to re-wrap it and install it. My deadline to get it done is August 22nd, because that's when school starts and it's my senior year so I won't have time to work on it.

• 2 months later...

Haven't updated this in a while. Right now the Z is going N/A and I'm planning on selling all of the turbo parts so that I can pay some stuff off. Recently bought a 6-1 header, and a complete set of SU's for a large lump sum of $160. Also since the last update I've painted the rising sun on my hood, painted the engine bay, and finished removing the sound deadener. Hopefully the Z should be running in the next 2 weeks :D

Since your building a N/A motor you should try and go back to that Maxima and see if has the MN47 head on it. That on your L24 block would make a killer street machine. Go to the FAQ's on this site and read BRAAP's thread on heads.

Would have loved to see that blow-thru setup running!

Edited by madkaw

• 3 months later...

Wow it's been 3 months lol Well I've polished the carb top hats, painted the manifold black, built an exhaust, cleaned up the interior, and realized my custom paint job sucks lol. I just finished up the exhaust on the Z. From the it goes straight into a Borla ProXS, and then straight 2.5" with a turn down right before the diff. Hopefully it sounds good, but for $0 I can't complain no matter how it sounds B) The damn place that told me they had the rebuild kit for the carbs ended up having the wrong ones, which set me back another day :( I was hoping to get everything on today and hopefully have it running tonight :/ I'm just gonna go get gasket paper and make my own gaskets and hopefully everything goes right. I can really work on it that often because I have school 5 days a week and then I work on Saturdays. Slowly but surely, the only things that are left is to rebuild the carbs, buy another slave cylinder (those things hate me lmao), get a fuel pump, and buy rear shoes and the hardware for it. If anyone wants to donate to the parts list let me know :D